Inter Coastal North of Wrightsville Beach, NC.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron T

Vessel Name
Grand Yankee
Vessel Make
1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
There are three very shallow areas coming south. One just inside of the Wrightsville Bridge. The opening between shore and green can is very tight. All shallow areas not marked. I am 4'7" and had some hard times I do not want to repeat.

Is it the one with the palm tree, tiki hut, and parking meter perched on it? :) Yea, that's an easy one to hit sometimes.

palmtree.JPG

Wrightsville North

We transitted this stretch twice in the last 60 days with 4' draft. In center channel we had no issues. The "S" turn north of there was not a problem either; we followed the marks, gave them some room and went right through. Sneads Ferry area had a few skinny spots but nothing shocking. Swansboro was a breeze.

It gets worse as you go south. There are some very shallow spots just north of Charleston, SC. They have begun dredging this area.

BTW: It's the "Intracoastal", not Inter Coastal.

I know who put up that parking meter!!!

North of Charleston

A local described the Ben Sawyer/high rise bridge area as the endzones of a football field with bad shoaling between the 40 yard lines that at low tide got as shallow as 2 1/2 feet. When we came through several weeks ago northbound there were two barges of dredge pipes about McCellansville headed south so maybe this is being addressed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom