ICW Oriental to St. Augustine and Return

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bilge53

Vessel Name
M/V Major Award
Vessel Make
Senator 35 w/single Lehman
We just got back from a 60 day round trip from Oriental to St. Augustine on our Senator 35. If anyone has any questions fire away.

Don, Kathie and Boat Dog Meco

Only one question. Why was St. Augustine the end of the line? Just curious.

St. Augustine

We took 60 days and travelled 30 S and then 30 N to home. There was no schedule. We enjoy St. Augustine and stayed for several days before turning around. Grand kids and the holidays are in the mid-Atlantic and we do not have to pay to leave the boat in back of the house. We will most likely do the same thing to the Chesapeake in mid-Spring. Just as a note, it was fun travelling north when everyone else was going south as we always had different boats to look at.

Boat pics? There aren't many Senator owners around (we had one)... Oh wait... Are you the Senator 35 we met in Morehead City a last month?

We took 60 days and travelled 30 S and then 30 N to home. There was no schedule. We enjoy St. Augustine and stayed for several days before turning around. Grand kids and the holidays are in the mid-Atlantic and we do not have to pay to leave the boat in back of the house. We will most likely do the same thing to the Chesapeake in mid-Spring. Just as a note, it was fun travelling north when everyone else was going south as we always had different boats to look at.

Good enough. I kind of figured that it was a timing issue, and that St. Augustine just happened to be the point where you needed to turn around. So now I know for sure. Thanks.

Hope you enjoy the trip back. Never have thought about having different boats to look at going north this time of year on the ICW, but I can see where it would be interesting. Plus the fun of knowing that many of them are puzzled. "Why is that guy heading north???" :)

Morehead City

Tom,

We are the ones in Oriental. Numerous e mails have been beteween us when we were buying Major Award.

She ran great.

Don

St. Augustine

John,

Once or twice when someone pointed out that we were going the wrong way I grabbed my head and exclaimed loudly to my wife "I told you we should have turned right!". Then exchanged waves.

DM

Did you go to the Sailors Exchange in St Augustine?

John

Tom,

We are the ones in Oriental. Numerous e mails have been beteween us when we were buying Major Award.

She ran great.

Don

OHHHHhhhhh... THAT Don.. Don M**. GREAT TO HEAR! Last I remember you were watching the leaks thru 20" of rain in St John's island in SC. That was back in October. You made it to St. Aug and back? Nice job! Is there a blog we can read?

How did the new thruster do?

Sorry I didn't recognize you. My bad.

We are the Senator that Tom saw in Morehead City. We were on the way back from cruising in Canada this summer. We are at our home port (St Johns Yacht harbor). And getting ready to go to Ft Myers for the winter. Glad to know there are other Senators cruising.

Stay in touch

Dave

We spent about 7 days in St. Johns (two visits) and enjoyed it. During the great Charleston rain we had power, internet and cable...no worries. Back in Oriental now for the winter and to do some leisure maintenance.

Don

Last edited:
We went to Sailors Exchange in St Augustine. There is a bunch of stuff and you need to know specifically what you want, what you are willing to pay and have some type of a plan to make sure it works. I was just browsing so was able to leave without dropping cash.

Glad you enjoyed St Johns, we stopped at free dock in Oriental on our way north last spring. You have a very nice town.

Thanks Dave. I have lived here 30 years; it is a great place to come home to. Our place is up Whittaker Creek and the watering hole is the Tiki Bar at Oriental Marina. What more does one need!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom