Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I'd be careful not to make too many assumptions about either vessel. The crew of the Fantome were heroes. You should read the entire book. It's a great read. The Fantome was trapped by a storm that shifted and strengthened unexpectedly. Thanks to their Captain, many were saved that would have perished.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
I've read the entire book, and agree with everything that you say. Nonetheless, they should not have been where they were at that particular time.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Since we're talking about lessons learned here, the story of the Fantome is illustrative of a rule that I believe exists for all stories of fatal human interactions with nature. The rule is that the inciting incident or the point of no return often happens a long time ahead of the actual disaster. Its been a year since I read the book but as I recall Fantome made a critical course decision several days before she finally sank. From that point on it is absolutely true that she was boxed in by the hurricane but at that point her options were open and her captain made the wrong choice. Even absent the benefit of hindsight I think it is clear he made what he knew was the riskier choice. We all make those calls and fortunately most of the time we get away with our risky decisions but sometimes fate catches up with us.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #24
Guru

I`m just hearing news,14 saved,2 missing,boat sunk,one just found ? deceased, still searching.
This did not have to happen.But worse things probably will. BruceK
Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

And completely by the by, in 1998, when my wife and I were living (and cruising) on the sailboat, we were headed South on the AICW from Maryland to the Keys when we heard that Hurricane Mitch was headed back toward Florida! We pulled into an abandoned cement factory canal at AICW mile marker 809, near Flagler Beach, Florida, to ride it out. Well,it turned out not to be much, and it was only afterward that I found out what a killer Mitch had been.

John
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #26

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
This storm is 700 miles wide; He would have had to go east of Bermuda to get around it. The eye of it will be going over my house in Philadelphia in and hour and I've been looking at 45 to 80 mph winds most of the day. This thing has been forcast for the last week as being worse than the "Perfect Storm". I can't understand why anyone would go out knowing that!
John
390 Mainship
Old 10-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #27
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
He was 100 miles SE of Hatteras yesterday morning at 4am... He was almost past it when he appeared to have a failure.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #28

City: Rio Vista, CA.
HMS Bounty

Please allow me to ask you a question. I'm glad I found all of you because you can probably answer it.

I live in Rio Vista and love the tall ships that dock at the end of Main Street.

Has this ship, HMS Bounty, ever docked here??

Thank you.

Karen
Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #29
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Captain only one missing now. One crew dead, others rescued. They were fine until their generator failed, and the pumps couldn't keep up with the water ingress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bounty1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	13749  
Old 10-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Keith wrote:

"They were fine until their generator failed, and the pumps couldn't keep up with the water ingress."

Murphy's Law, First Corollary. "If it can happen, then it will. If it can't, it will anyway."
Old 10-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #31
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Keith wrote:

"They were fine until their generator failed, and the pumps couldn't keep up with the water ingress."

Murphy's Law, First Corollary. "If it can happen, then it will. If it can't, it will anyway."
From a former crew member of the Bounty:

Marc Castells
5:57pm Oct 29
I don't think what led the Bounty to be there is a mystery. They were very open on their FB page about their decision to put to sea to ride out the storm because it is safer for the boat than being at port. It's obviously not safer for the crew to be at sea, and it's decisions like this that led me and my friend to get off the boat when she stopped for repairs in Bermuda after similar conditions and similar equipment failure, instead of continuing on to Puerto Rico. Luckily they were able to get replacement parts overnighted to Bermuda, because otherwise they would have made the decision to continue on with both bilge pumps broken (probably for the same reason they broke this time), and an empty fire extinguisher on the wall of the engine room, from when one of the crew put out a fire without even bothering to wake anyone or let the helmsman at the time (me) know about it... Sad to be proved right sometimes. RIP Claudene, and good luck Robin. As much as I disagree with him, I think he's a good guy and a survivor.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #32
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen in Rio Vista View Post
Please allow me to ask you a question. I'm glad I found all of you because you can probably answer it.

I live in Rio Vista and love the tall ships that dock at the end of Main Street.

Has this ship, HMS Bounty, ever docked here??

Thank you.

Karen
I don't believe so. Hawaiian Chieftain and Lady Washington ??? I think are the ones you're thinking of.

Welcome to the forum.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 10-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #33

City: South Carolina
Vessel Name: Iona
Vessel Model: Nimble Vagabond
An article in a South Carolina paper this morning stated that Claudene Christian, the female crew member who did not survive, was the great (x5) granddaughter of Fletcher Christian – the master’s mate on the ill-fated voyage of the original H.M.S. Bounty. Various other sources seem to confirm this. The hair on my arms stood up when I read that. Anyone know any differently?
Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #34
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
As suspected, schedule seems to have played a part:

"The ship was scheduled to dock at The Pier in St. Petersburg for a public appearance on the weekend of Nov. 10-11. St. Petersburg had served as a winter home for the ship in past years."
Old 10-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #35
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Quote:
Originally Posted by captrigney
The captains and mates were very well qualified, usually including being academy graduates. From what I have observed they are very dedicated to their profession and as experienced and of as sound of judgement as any of the professional seafarers I have encountered anywhere.
I could never compete with their smarts but am well versed in common sense, therefore I would have looked for shelter instead of heading towards the storm. I scratch my head on this one!!!!!!!

Elwin

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #36
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
As suspected, schedule seems to have played a part:

"The ship was scheduled to dock at The Pier in St. Petersburg for a public appearance on the weekend of Nov. 10-11. St. Petersburg had served as a winter home for the ship in past years."
I have no idea if THE PIER in St. Pete was the winter home of the BOUNTY. I do know that I have seen it there. You could look right down on the top of it from the Columbia Restaurant.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 10-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #37

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Destiny
Vessel Model: 1998 Island Gypsy Europa
She was en-route to take a winter docking in Galveston, Texas due here in mid November. We were looking forward to seeing her in our harbor for a few months. Our own tall ship the "Elissa" is currently in dry dock undergoing repairs sustained during Hurricane Ike. We are saddened to hear of the loss of life from this ordeal, it could have been far worse.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #38
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Today at the western end of Carquinez Strait, had to wipe my eyes to make sure I was seeing straight. No, it wasn't HMS Bounty (3-masted fully-rigged ship) but instead a brigantine.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: -
I believe that's the Lady Washington. I chartered her once for a film shoot. She is an exact replica of the original Lady Washington which was a contemporary ship to Capt. Vancouver's Discovery (1790s). In fact I believe the two ships met off the Columbia River at one pont.

Originally built as a single masted vessel the Lady Washington had quite a colorful career, eventually being used in the beaver pelt trade between the PNW and Japan (or China, can't remember which). It was at this point that her owner/captain converted her to a two masted vessel. While she had a lower yard on the mainmast, the captain of the current Lady Washington told me during the film shoot that the original Lady Washington had never carried a sail on that yard. So the current ship doesn't either.

The current vessel travels around the PNW in the company of a smaller steel sailing ship, the Hawaiian Chieftain which is a "representation" of a type of cargo ship, as opposed to being a replica of anything. They go to California during the winter months. In fact it was this that forced the re-engining of the Lady Washington. Her GM diesel did not meet California's emissions requirements and the ship was prohibited from visiting that state. This was a year or two ago. Since a fair amount of the ship's income comes from the California cruises it was decided to re-power the vessel.

Attached is a photo Carey took during our film shoot. I had two cameramen on the ship and one on Carey's lobsterboat which is fast so made a great chase boat for the from-the-water shots. If anyone visits the Boeing plant in Everett and takes the factory tour they will see the video that has this sequence at the start of it.

The ship was doing 12 knots when this shot was taken. The captain told me the fastest the ship has ever gone is 14. The Lady Washington was used in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. She was painted black and was the British ship in the show.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3673653523.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	13750
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #40
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Yup, it must be the Lady Washington. She was on her way to Rio Vista.

Lady Washington | Hawaiian Chieftain | Battles | Adventures | Sailing