Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #121
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
First off. I'm way too excited. But since I fixed my fuel filters and other things, I've been really itching to run Sand Castle. Badly.

My float plan - wave/hail Ch. 16 if you're coming down.
Friday:
16:00-18:30 Carolina Beach to Rich Inlet anchorage.
Saturday:
6:00-8:00 Rich Inlet to Surf City (opens on the hour) bridge
8:00-9:30 SC to Onslow (opens on 30 min) bridge
9:30-10:30 Onslow to Sneads Ferry, take on fuel.
11:00-13:00 Sneads Ferry to Swansboro
13:00-16:00 Swansboro to Morehead City
Either stop there and do Ruddy Duck (most likely) -or-
16:00-19:00 MHC to Oriental (less likely)

Like I said, way too excited. Adult responsibility (job/house/family obligations) is making me crazy.

Better finish some work.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #122

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Model: 420DB
Thanks for great points everyone. since this is my nothing more than a delivery trip, I'm not looking for much of entertainment, rather for a decent place to stay and get cheap and clean fuel. I was hoping to get fuel anytime I arrive to a marina at the end of the leg, so I don't loose the daylight time. So, you guys brought up a good point that maybe I should just focus on finding marinas with cheaper fuel and use that as my overnight stops.

BTW, we made the final decision going to Charleston. I'm looking at the following as my preliminary float plan:

BI,NJ to OC, MD (140SM)
OC, MD to Norfolk, VA (150SM)
Norfolk to Aligator River Marina (100SM)
ARM to Oriental (95SM)
Oriental to Wrightsville (105SM)
Wrightsville to Georgetown (105SM)
Georgetown to Charleston (60SM)

My current task is to find overnight marinas with fuel for overnight. If anyone has recommendations I would greatly appreciate.

Currently I thinking to use the following marinas for overnight and fueling:
OC, MD - Sunset Marina
Norfolk - Ocean Marine
if I can only make it across the Albemarle from Norfolk, then it's Alligator River Marina
The rest are still in the works....
Alex F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #123
Ben
Guru

http://new.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...hips/338139782

Cruising. And it's coooold....
Old 10-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #124
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F View Post
My current task is to find overnight marinas with fuel for overnight. If anyone has recommendations I would greatly appreciate.
River Dunes then. If it's just a delivery, a few pennies of fuel price is of little or no concern. Make sure you call ahead and get the fuel price quoted WITH TAXES INCLUDED! They tend to quote prices without. As do a few other places.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
...Make sure you call ahead and get the fuel price quoted WITH TAXES INCLUDED! They tend to quote prices without. As do a few other places.
That's a good tip, I wasn't aware of this. Thank you.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #126
Guru

Another point to be aware of is that places like Dudley's, Snead's, River Dunes and Oriental Marina don't have nearly the turnover rate for fuel. Beaufort Docks and Morehead City Yacht Basin (Beaufort is higher) turn over their fuel supply faster than all of the other marinas combined and Beaufort Docks has one of the highest fuel sales of any mid-Atlantic marina. (don't shoot the messenger... it's what I was told by the guy that tends to their tanks). Keep that in mind when trying to save a few quid on fuel.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #127
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
And....ask if there is a discount for a cash sale. We know that Morehead City gives a "cash is king" discount on Fuel. It's worth it if you are getting a lot.

Infact we plan a trip to MHCYB or Beaufort when we need fuel and make a weekend of it.

And, if you are getting ALOT of fuel, call ahead and let them know. It took Windhorse two days to fill up, as he filled a tank and then transferred to another tank, 3000 gallons worth, it was the transferring that took the most time not the pump speed. (he was going to Greenland the next day)
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #128
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I'd be careful thinking some yacht basin turns over more fuel than New River Marina...they sell cheap because of bulk to...to shrimpers and other commercial guys as well a a boatload of cruisers passing through.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #129
Guru

I understand that, but look at the location. Beaufort Inlet it THE #1 stop for super and mega yachts that burn hundreds of gallons per hour by delivery captains that are jumping from south to north with no regard to saving fuel. Moreover, MCYB is ground zero for 50-70' sportfish boats in the area. And they go out a LOT in high season.

I have no reason to disbelieve Craig and that a marinas like Beaufort/MHC wouldn't pump far more fuel into gas guzzlers and snowbirds over effecient shrimping fleet boats.

That's all I am saying I suppose.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #130
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
I understand that, but look at the location. Beaufort Inlet it THE #1 stop for super and mega yachts that burn hundreds of gallons per hour by delivery captains that are jumping from south to north with no regard to saving fuel. Moreover, MCYB is ground zero for 50-70' sportfish boats in the area. And they go out a LOT in high season.

I have no reason to disbelieve Craig and that a marinas like Beaufort/MHC wouldn't pump far more fuel into gas guzzlers and snowbirds over effecient shrimping fleet boats.

That's all I am saying I suppose.
turnover is turnover...if you are refilling your tanks from a distributer every couple of days whether it's 500 gal or 5000 gal or 50,000 gal...you are getting fresh fuel at the pump.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #131
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
turnover is turnover...if you are refilling your tanks from a distributer every couple of days whether it's 500 gal or 5000 gal or 50,000 gal...you are getting fresh fuel at the pump.
Fair enough, but knowing the guy that cleans the storage tanks for them is certainly a big help deciding.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #132
Ben
Guru

Bogue Sound. Ahhhh...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-848236904.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	24111
Old 10-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #133
Ben
Guru

Long day

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1113720692.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	24112
Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #134

Where would you guys recommend getting fuel and stay overnight in Wrightesville and Georgetown areas?

I understand that Wrightsville is more expensive, but a lot more fun (I just need to spend the night and fuel up). If I'm using the ocean route and jumping in the Masonboro Inlet, is it worth heading a bit north to Wrightsville or should I continue southbound? I see there's Masonboro Yacht Club and Marina and looks like they have diesel.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #135
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Where would you guys recommend getting fuel and stay overnight in Wrightesville and Georgetown areas?

I understand that Wrightsville is more expensive, but a lot more fun (I just need to spend the night and fuel up). If I'm using the ocean route and jumping in the Masonboro Inlet, is it worth heading a bit north to Wrightsville or should I continue southbound? I see there's Masonboro Yacht Club and Marina and looks like they have diesel.
Check fuel prices at Osprey Marina near the south end of government cut at Myrtle Beach. I have found that they and Myrtle Beach Yacht Club usually have the best prices in the area.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Check fuel prices at Osprey Marina near the south end of government cut at Myrtle Beach. I have found that they and Myrtle Beach Yacht Club usually have the best prices in the area.
Wow, you're not kidding. The price difference is huge! Just a quick glans at AC and marinas in MB about half the price, fuel is about .40c cheaper. I guess, I'll need to rework my stops there.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #137
Ben
Guru

Quote:

Wrightsville is the. Most. Expensive. Fuel. in the area. New River Marina in Sneads Ferry is the cheapest. It also get turns from military and commercial business.

Cruiser's Net » NC Fuel Prices
Old 10-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #138
Guru

stayed here in Wrightsville....

Dockside Restaurant and Bar Marina | Wrightsville Beach NC

bar and restaurant were OK...the dock bar was fun in the afternoon.

stay more than one night and they have decreasing rates

1st night is $1.25 per foot. 2nd night is $1.00 per foot. 3rd night+ is $0.75 per foot.

Grocery and West Marine and good hardware store about 2-3 blocks away.

Not a big place for transients...but they accommodate if possible...

Harborwalk in Georgetown is nice...especially if you just crash and want a short walk into downtown for food. hazard marina is 0.25/ft cheaper and closer to the entrance...then there's Georgetown Landing Marina out on the river if a stop and run is all you need.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #139

What a great info!!! Thank you so much guys!

This opens number of options.

Ben, what a great link. I managed to find the fuel prices for SC also off that link. I need to get to know Cruiser's net better. What a great resource of info.

Dockside restaurant in Wrightsville, what a bargain compare to everything else in town.

Now I'm thinking that when departing from Oriental, if the seas are fine, I can jump out of the Beaufort Inlet heading south. If I need fuel sooner, I can jump in the New River inlet and get fuel in New River Marina and then either stay on ICW or go on the open again until Georgetown.

Now, I just need to find good place to fuel up in Charleston area and that would give me a pretty good idea on overall preliminary float plan.

P.S.

Based on what I see, Charleston seems to have higher fuel prices, just like Wrightsville. So, I guess I better fuel up right before I get closer to the area.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #140
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
What a great info!!! Thank you so much guys!

This opens number of options.

Ben, what a great link. I managed to find the fuel prices for SC also off that link. I need to get to know Cruiser's net better. What a great resource of info.

Dockside restaurant in Wrightsville, what a bargain compare to everything else in town.

Now I'm thinking that when departing from Oriental, if the seas are fine, I can jump out of the Beaufort Inlet heading south. If I need fuel sooner, I can jump in the New River inlet and get fuel in New River Marina and then either stay on ICW or go on the open again until Georgetown.

Now, I just need to find good place to fuel up in Charleston area and that would give me a pretty good idea on overall preliminary float plan.P.S.

Based on what I see, Charleston seems to have higher fuel prices, just like Wrightsville. So, I guess I better fuel up right before I get closer to the area.
It may be me and my squeamishness, but my advice is to not attempt New River Inlet. It is unpredictable at best. Masonboro would be the first inlet leaving Beaufort Inlet that I would attempt.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote