Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #101

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Model: 420DB
Bess,

During the boating season in Northeast we pretty much "live" on the hook. The biggest difference here is (as you also pointed out) is that during the winter months I can't see much of the days we can spend at anchor. Instead, it'll be more shore explorations, either where the boat is located or a cruise to a destination with decent shore activities. For this reason we're leaning toward the larger ports like New Bern, Wilmington, Charleston.

I can see how destinations like Morehead/Beaufort, Southport, Wrightsville, etc...are great in the warmer season, but the variety of things to-do will be very different during the colder months.

Tom,

Thanks for the nice sum,
Alex F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #102
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post

Really?? When we stayed there the HOA of the surrounding neighborhood was emphatic that Joyner not allow liveaboards.
See a couple from a big sailboat fishing there every day. They live aboard. I'm not privy to their arrangement...
Old 10-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #103

I'm reviewing the routes and find comments on Active Captain such as this one along the VA Cut:

"...Almost hit a non floating object showing about 1-2 inch above the water level (no tidal information) directly on the magenta line. Looked like a small metal pile...."

Does anyone have first hand info about this? It sounds like a huge nav hazard. It's bad enough to watch all the debris, but hitting a metal pipe in the middle of the channel is the last thing I want. The swamp is full of grass, the cut has pipes in the middle....It makes me want to just stick to the ocean.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #104
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Several years ago I hit a submerged object mid channel of the ICW in Florida about 30 miles north of North Palm Beach.

Pushed the prop into the bottom of the hull bent the shaft and strut: $10K damage thankfully Progressive insurance was awesome.

Since then I never trust going inside if I can help it especially through Georgia.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #105
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F View Post
I'm reviewing the routes and find comments on Active Captain such as this one along the VA Cut:

"...Almost hit a non floating object showing about 1-2 inch above the water level (no tidal information) directly on the magenta line. Looked like a small metal pile...."

Does anyone have first hand info about this? It sounds like a huge nav hazard. It's bad enough to watch all the debris, but hitting a metal pipe in the middle of the channel is the last thing I want. The swamp is full of grass, the cut has pipes in the middle....It makes me want to just stick to the ocean.
Have made the run dozens of times as a delivery capt...never have seen anything in the middle of he channel except floating stuff...don't believe everything you hear reported to the USCG or posted on Active Captain...a lot of boaters are clueless about their own boats...let alone the world around them.

The magenta line is meaningless. Pretend it doesn't exist...I never even knew it existed till a few years ago after boating my whole life, 23 years USCG and another 13 as a delivery capt and cruiser. I never imagined that someone would be dumb enough to mark the middle of something that shifted every day to a point.

Don't sweat it...you are as likely to hit something in the ocean as you are the ICW...except bottom.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Have made the run dozens of times as a delivery capt...never have seen anything in the middle of he channel except floating stuff...don't believe everything you hear reported to the USCG or posted on Active Captain...a lot of boaters are clueless about their own boats...let alone the world around them.

The magenta line is meaningless. Pretend it doesn't exist...I never even knew it existed till a few years ago after boating my whole life, 23 years USCG and another 13 as a delivery capt and cruiser. I never imagined that someone would be dumb enough to mark the middle of something that shifted every day to a point.

Don't sweat it...you are as likely to hit something in the ocean as you are the ICW...except bottom.
Thanks for reassuring me. I totally agree with you. Obviously anything can happen out there, but that post sounded a bit out of line.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #107
Ben
Guru

Quote:

Thanks for reassuring me. I totally agree with you. Obviously anything can happen out there, but that post sounded a bit out of line.
I am going north from Carolina Beach to Oriental in a few days. Read Active Captain around MM239. Wrote a post myself. There's something submerged on the green side. I linked a photo of a barge apparently stuck. Others have posted about bent props and shafts. That's the only obstruction that I currently am aware of...

When are you making your trip?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #108

Thanks for the tip, Ben.

If all goes as planned, I'll be heading to SC in the first week of Nov.

Quick questions:
How long does it take to go through the bridges and the lock from Norfolk via the VA Cut? I'm looking to make from Norfolk to Aligator River Marina in one day.

I might have a crew member coming along that will have to leave me from Norfolk. I was planning to stop over Ocean Marine Yacht Center overnight. Does anyone know if the Greyhound has decent operation out of Norfolk station? It looks like a 10min cab ride from the marina.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #109
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, Ben.

If all goes as planned, I'll be heading to SC in the first week of Nov.

Quick questions:
How long does it take to go through the bridges and the lock from Norfolk via the VA Cut? I'm looking to make from Norfolk to Aligator River Marina in one day.
We did in one April (2010) day. Our boat does 6.7 to 8.0 kts cruise depending on high side (2000+ RPMs) or low (1750 normally)

From Hospital Point we caught the 600 opening of the Gilmerton bridge and then followed a couple of boats through the normal passage (not Dismal Swamp). We were in Coinjock late morning/mid-day, and on the Alligator River headed south about an hour before sundown. We anchored right at the opening of the Alligator-Pungo canal, bottom of the Alligator River. It can be a little buggy there. But your weather will likely be colder than ours. We had a calm crossing of the Albemarle Sound. A few beam waves, but not rough.

Gilmerton Bridge
https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/50014775

Alligator River
https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/50014836

Next morning. Pungo-Alligator Canal
https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/50014815
Old 10-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #110
Ben
Guru

Going North tomorrow. From Carolina Beach to Oriental. Cold tonight!!!

But pretty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-953993962.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	24058
Old 10-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #111
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Anchored at Bellehaven, NC tonight and heading to Stuart, FL. FYI, the Gilmerton Bridge now has 35' clearence when closed. We shall be in Oriental tomorrow. BTW, have done this trip numerous times and have never seen anything sticking out of the water.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #112

Which marina would you guys recommend in Oriental where I could get fuel as well as staying overnight?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #113
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Are you just staying the night or do you want to look around some? If you are just passing thru, goto River Dunes. If you want to stay a day or two, goto Oriental Marina. Both have fuel. One is outside of town and one is right in the middle of it.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #114
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Anchored at Bellehaven, NC tonight and heading to Stuart, FL. FYI, the Gilmerton Bridge now has 35' clearence when closed. We shall be in Oriental tomorrow. BTW, have done this trip numerous times and have never seen anything sticking out of the water.
On Saturday, we'll likely pass each other. Be aware that there are numerous reports (including mine) of a submerged object damaging running gear near MM 239. Please check Active Captain and Cruisers.net. Or just stay to the red side between markers 61 and 63.

We're headed north from Wrightsville to store the boat in Oriental.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #115
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Which marina would you guys recommend in Oriental where I could get fuel as well as staying overnight?
Tom makes a good point. Is worth staying in Oriental because it's fun (great food at M&Ms and great morning coffee at the Bean) and not isolated like River Dunes, though River Dunes is a first class marina (outrageously clean, well-maintained, and friendly staff).

You can't go wrong either way.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #116
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Check fuel prices, but Jarrett Bay, 10 miles South is usually 20-30 cents cheaper than Oriental. Many sport fish hit it, so the fuel gets high turns.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #117
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Or go a couple more hours to Morehead City Yacht Basin where fuel is usually cheaper and go to Floyds for dinner and cocktails. Both are great options!!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #118
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
Or go a couple more hours to Morehead City Yacht Basin where fuel is usually cheaper and go to Floyds for dinner and cocktails. Both are great options!!
Amen, Sister Bess!

And Praise Be to the Holy Shrine, Ruddy Duck! (Nuthin' like beer in Mason jars!)
Old 10-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #119
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
If you will be taking on much fuel, New River Marina at Sneads Ferry (about 30 miles south of Morehead) usually has the cheapest on the ICW. Dudley's in Swansboro is usually the next cheapest. It is worth checking prices for a large amount.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #120
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
If you will be taking on much fuel, New River Marina at Sneads Ferry (about 30 miles south of Morehead) usually has the cheapest on the ICW. Dudley's in Swansboro is usually the next cheapest. It is worth checking prices for a large amount.
Hi Don,

Thanks! I actually did fuel up on the trip down at New River Marina. I checked Cruisers.Net yesterday and seemed like Dudley's was about 2-3 cents cheaper this time around. So most likely I'll give them a try. I'll check again on the trip up tomorrow. My single Lehman is not so thirsty, so likely fuel take will be light.