Alex F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #63
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F View Post

Have anyone stayed at Ocean Marine Yacht Center? I've heard it's pretty good too and offers fuel discount.
Yes, several times. Clean, good dock hands, and reasonable fuel prices. Walk into downtown Portsmouth or take the ferry over to Waterside.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #64
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
How about these?

- Assawoman Inlet
- Gargathy Inlet
- Metompkin Inlet
- Wachapapreague Inlet
- Quinby Inlet
I chicken out of those inlets but probably shouldn't...all of them are the "local knowledge type" because of the frequently shifted buoys not being charted.

Try one and le me know so I have a stopover on the way...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #65

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Model: 420DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Try one and le me know so I have a stopover on the way...

I'm also conservative when it comes to things like this. Besides, some of these inlets may not be even covered by insurance. I know of inlets in LI area that are specifically excluded from some ins. coverage. To keep myself out of trouble, I pretend that I'm piloting a Queen Mary.

BTW, it looks like I'll just miss this event by couple of days.

Southbound Cruisers' Rendezvous - New Bern, Oct. 29-31

Waterway Cruising Guide | Cruising Guide News
Old 09-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #66
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
In Norfolk we stayed in Tidewater Marina, nice place, diesel and a pool:
www.tyamarina.com

Now you mention it, we stayed there once, too. Nice place.

-Chris
Old 09-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #67
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:

I'm also conservative when it comes to things like this. Besides, some of these inlets may not be even covered by insurance. I know of inlets in LI area that are specifically excluded from some ins. coverage. To keep myself out of trouble, I pretend that I'm piloting a Queen Mary.

BTW, it looks like I'll just miss this event by couple of days.

Southbound Cruisers' Rendezvous - New Bern, Oct. 29-31

Waterway Cruising Guide | Cruising Guide News
never heard of an inlet not being covered by insurance...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
never heard of an inlet not being covered by insurance...
A friend of mine who keeps his boat on the South Shore of Long Island has it in his policy that Morriches inlet is excluded.

I guess it's a regional thing where a lot of claims were submitted for officially non-navigable inlet. The funniest thing is that when I was heading that way, I spoke with CG and they told me that this inlet is perfectly fine, even better than Fire Island inlet, which has heavy boat traffic.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #69
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Hmm, interesting. I'm using BI all the time, but I've heard few stories. One was a trawler flipping on it's side. I guess the biggest difference is that I'm approaching the inlets while staying on plane and in more controlled fashion. I go off plane as soon as I'm between the jetties. Approaching the inlets at displacement speed definitely has it's challenges. The one of main things to keep in mind, once inside, is the make sharp turn to port (near the CG station) and follow the channel avoiding the big sandbar right at the mouth of the harbor. But, I guess you can clearly see it on the chart.

My problem was that it was foggy, dark with 6' to 10' waves coming in as I was leaving. NO problem, until I noticed that the depth was going from 10' to zero feet and I immediately understood that as soon as I hit a trough that bottoms my boat, it will crack like an egg.
I knew I was on the north side of the channel. So, do I go further north or go south??
But someone has to watch over fools and drunks, so at that moment of Ö I looked out into the darkness and fog, to see a fishing boat about 75í on my starboard beam. I cranked that wheel over, added more power and got in behind him, just as he disappeared into the fog. I followed him on radar for another 20 minutes to make sure I was out of the inlet shoal. I didnít turn until he did and at that point I turned on the AP and headed NE.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #70
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Oregon inlet bad, Beaufort inlet good. The sportfish captains are the only ones who can do Oregon inlet. Ocracoke inlet - meh.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #71
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Alex,
Iím currently living on my boat in North Myrtle Beach, right on the ICW. Itís a real nice place.

If you need a ride somewhere when you get here, or if you want any info, give me a call or drop me a line. Iíll be glad to help you if you need a crew for some of your passages. KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #72

KJ,

Thank you very much for the offer. I really appreciate it.

Alex.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #73

Hi guys, The more we think about the more we start realizing that Myrtle Beach might not be the best choice for the winter storage due to limited boating destinations within 20-30NM range.

I looked in to New Bern and based on the info I could find it seemed like a nice quint town, but on a smaller side. Considering the fact that not all our visits will be complimented by a nice weather we feel like keeping the boat near larger city would make more sense. I figure that if it's not a boating weather we could take advantage and tour the city while utilizing the boat as a condo, not to mention checking on the boat.

I'm trying to determine if Wilmington would be a better choice for us. Based on my preliminary research there are couple preferred local cruising destinations like Southport and Wrightsville. What you guys think, am I on the right track? Are there more local destinations that are worth visiting during the colder months? Unfortunately, cruising guide doesn't offer too much info.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #74
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Very interesting thread, we talked about doing this a couple of times, yet the boat always seems to be on the hard come December. Will be interested in how this turns out, all the best!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #75
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
There is a new marina going up in downtown Wilmington called Port City Marina. It's scheduled to open this winter, but they are way behind schedule. It looks like it will be nice, but be careful. Wilmington is not the safest city. More than one person (we were one and there are several other posted on Cruisers Forum and/or CruisersNet.net) that have been boarded and robbed while they slept. Yes, that is a small percentage, but it needs to be noted. Remember, this is a major east coast port and there is a lot of shady business that goes on when there are good from around the world being offloaded.

Ben is now in Carolina Beach (struggling to get air out of his fuel system ) in the same marina we used to keep Skinny Dippin' a couple of years back (Joyner Marina). It's a nice place, but it's run poorly. Still, it has all the appeal of the area without as much worry. It also has the added benefit of being in a beach community with lots of "family friendly" things to do.

One more thing to note about security in ILM is that a rep from the investment firm that is building the marina has been contacted by a LOT of people (us included) saying that security was the #1 concern they have about wanting to sign up there. It really surprised them. So much so, that the group has had to completely change direction on a few marketing points and are boasting 24-hour security as the #1 attribute of the place. These guys aren't boaters... just rich guys looking for their next infusion of cash that hired a marina building company to build them a marina. Take that at face-value. I hope they run it better than a lot of marinas we have stayed at before.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
Very interesting thread, we talked about doing this a couple of times, yet the boat always seems to be on the hard come December. Will be interested in how this turns out, all the best!
Thanks Mike.

We dreamed about this for a long time as well and finally decided to pull the trigger. I'm tired of spending so much time winterizing and then spring recommissioning the boat. I really hope it works out with NC or SC, b/c the next move is going all the way to FL and Bahamas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
There is a new marina going up in downtown Wilmington called Port City Marina. It's scheduled to open this winter, but they are way behind schedule. It looks like it will be nice, but be careful. Wilmington is not the safest city. More than one person (we were one and there are several other posted on Cruisers Forum and/or CruisersNet.net) that have been boarded and robbed while they slept. Yes, that is a small percentage, but it needs to be noted. Remember, this is a major east coast port and there is a lot of shady business that goes on when there are good from around the world being offloaded.

Ben is now in Carolina Beach (struggling to get air out of his fuel system ) in the same marina we used to keep Skinny Dippin' a couple of years back (Joyner Marina). It's a nice place, but it's run poorly. Still, it has all the appeal of the area without as much worry. It also has the added benefit of being in a beach community with lots of "family friendly" things to do.

One more thing to note about security in ILM is that a rep from the investment firm that is building the marina has been contacted by a LOT of people (us included) saying that security was the #1 concern they have about wanting to sign up there. It really surprised them. So much so, that the group has had to completely change direction on a few marketing points and are boasting 24-hour security as the #1 attribute of the place. These guys aren't boaters... just rich guys looking for their next infusion of cash that hired a marina building company to build them a marina. Take that at face-value. I hope they run it better than a lot of marinas we have stayed at before.
Thanks for heads up, Tom. That doesn't make it attractive at all. Based on the reviews I saw at AC, the Bennett Brothers looks like a good candidate. I hope the issue is related to an isolated area/marina. I spoke with BB and they said that the marina is gated and their place is very safe with about 8 liveaboards. We're planning to pick couple of cities/marinas and go there to see them in person for ourselves. Based on what I'm reading, Wilmington looked like a good choice, but safety is one of the primary concerns. If anyone has any more info that would be great.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #77

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Gone Coastal
Vessel Model: 2005 34' Mainship Trawler
Alex... would like to speak with you about your trip south... please send me an email at:

earl.tingle@us.army.mil

Thanks Alex,

Earl
Earl34Mainship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl34Mainship View Post
Alex... would like to speak with you about your trip south... please send me an email at:

earl.tingle@us.army.mil

Thanks Alex,

Earl
Earl,

I just replied to your PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #79
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:

Thanks Mike.

We dreamed about this for a long time as well and finally decided to pull the trigger. I'm tired of spending so much time winterizing and then spring recommissioning the boat. I really hope it works out with NC or SC, b/c the next move is going all the way to FL and Bahamas.

Thanks for heads up, Tom. That doesn't make it attractive at all. Based on the reviews I saw at AC, the Bennett Brothers looks like a good candidate. I hope the issue is related to an isolated area/marina. I spoke with BB and they said that the marina is gated and their place is very safe with about 8 liveaboards. We're planning to pick couple of cities/marinas and go there to see them in person for ourselves. Based on what I'm reading, Wilmington looked like a good choice, but safety is one of the primary concerns. If anyone has any more info that would be great.
Alex, I am in Wilmington as Tom said. Off to look at a house now, but I've looked at every marina. I will detail for you later tonight. Bennett is walking distance to nothing. Great yard though. More later.

Federal Point is great if you can stay more than 3 months.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #80

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Gone Coastal
Vessel Model: 2005 34' Mainship Trawler
Roger Alex... got it... thanks for the email...

et

Earl34Mainship is offline   Reply With Quote