Heading to SC for the Winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm trying to open up my options and also look further South in Charleston area. Are there any decent marinas there that go for around $10-$15 p/f monthly?

Does anyone know how's Ashlie's Marina?

Ashley and the Municipal Marinas are very well run and located. However, strong current is a factor at both places. The ability to walk or bike to the historic district is priceless. Just be careful what slip they put you in.

If thinking Charleston...the Maritime Center on the north side of town and easy walking distance...but a little rocky if staying there 24/7...

Charleston Maritime Center

plus more inexpensive when we were there though not sure of long term rates...

There are other great places in the vicinity...and a lot more inexpensive than the downtown areas..just depends what you want...

If thinking Charleston...the Maritime Center on the north side of town and easy walking distance...but a little rocky if staying there 24/7...

Charleston Maritime Center

plus more inexpensive when we were there though not sure of long term rates...

There are other great places in the vicinity...and a lot more inexpensive than the downtown areas..just depends what you want...

We don't have to be right next to downtown. For the most part we'll always have a car, so for this reason I don't mind to compromise and find a decent and safe place for less than what the city marina charges.

Thank you for the tips. I also called Bristol Marina and there seemed to be a complication with Ashley River Memorial Bridge. The dockmaster told me that the bridge doesn't open on demand unless you own a property there. The chart says 14', but the dockmaster said it's more like 16.5' clearance at high tide. If I lower may antennas I may just make it at low/mid tide. I'm 22' with antenna up and just about 20' with antennas down.

Panoramio - Photo of Western Panorama at Joyner Marina

I took this panorama picture at Joyner Marina in Carolina Beach about 3 days ago. If you "click" on the picture, it shows up in very high-res.

It's a nice place. $9/foot.

It's away from the city. I consider it safe. Some live-aboards, so you can make relationships and watch out for each other. No crime that I'm aware of because unlike Wilmington, it's hard to find.

Last edited:
Thanks Ben. Nice picture.

Some live-aboards, so you can make relationships and watch out for each other. No crime that I'm aware of because unlike Wilmington, it's hard to find.

Really?? When we stayed there the HOA of the surrounding neighborhood was emphatic that Joyner not allow liveaboards. We were there when one guy who was somewhat sliding under the radar living on his boat got kicked out. They didn't mind week long type of stays, but not full time liveaboards. Must have eased up some.

Still a great location and not unreasonable as far as pricing. We'd go back again. Loved riding bikes down to the restaurants. :thumb:

northern area - New Bern, Oriental, Morehead City and Beauford, NC
a bit more southern area - Southport, Hampstead, Wrightsville, Wilmonghton and Myrtle Beach.

We're open for suggestions as this is the first time cruising any of the areas.

If you like to anchor out in quiet gunkholes - the Northern section. Morehead City, Oriental or New Bern.

If you don't like to anchor out and prefer Marina hopping -either location will be great. They both have excellent choices in near by towns with great marinas, but the Neuse river. Morehead City has the best anchoring options. How much anchoring would you do over the winter? Probably not much, but if we have a warm winter, or you extend your stay, you might. We left the Carolina Beach area and went back to the Neuse to do more anchoring. We're getting ready to go back probably to Southport, just to cruise the lower NC coastline for a while. (we think!) With a fast boat, you can travel between them easily. Out at Masonboro Inlet, in at Beaufort Inlet. Folks do it all the time.

Come to North Carolina! It's a great boating state!! :)

We dock at Sea path in Wrightsville beach. We are Wilmington residents. The Wrightsville area is close to the airports and easy access to the interstate. My family and I are able to boat trip to Wilmington, Carolina Beach, South Port and Bald Head island all within a few hours. Oriental, Morehead, and New Bern are two day trips for a trawler like us. It is a very secure and convenient location. A bit pricey but very convenient. Hampstead and Carolina beach offer similar qualities, just not the convenience of restaurants and shopping you will find in Wrightsville.

Best of luck. Any of the towns you have discussed will be well worth the experience. The are is truly a gem on the east coast.

Tom / Free Spirit

Bess,

During the boating season in Northeast we pretty much "live" on the hook. The biggest difference here is (as you also pointed out) is that during the winter months I can't see much of the days we can spend at anchor. Instead, it'll be more shore explorations, either where the boat is located or a cruise to a destination with decent shore activities. For this reason we're leaning toward the larger ports like New Bern, Wilmington, Charleston.

I can see how destinations like Morehead/Beaufort, Southport, Wrightsville, etc...are great in the warmer season, but the variety of things to-do will be very different during the colder months.

Tom,

Thanks for the nice sum,

Really?? When we stayed there the HOA of the surrounding neighborhood was emphatic that Joyner not allow liveaboards.

See a couple from a big sailboat fishing there every day. They live aboard. I'm not privy to their arrangement...

I'm reviewing the routes and find comments on Active Captain such as this one along the VA Cut:

"...Almost hit a non floating object showing about 1-2 inch above the water level (no tidal information) directly on the magenta line. Looked like a small metal pile...."

Does anyone have first hand info about this? It sounds like a huge nav hazard. It's bad enough to watch all the debris, but hitting a metal pipe in the middle of the channel is the last thing I want. The swamp is full of grass, the cut has pipes in the middle....It makes me want to just stick to the ocean.

Several years ago I hit a submerged object mid channel of the ICW in Florida about 30 miles north of North Palm Beach.

Pushed the prop into the bottom of the hull bent the shaft and strut: $10K damage thankfully Progressive insurance was awesome.

Since then I never trust going inside if I can help it especially through Georgia.

I'm reviewing the routes and find comments on Active Captain such as this one along the VA Cut:

"...Almost hit a non floating object showing about 1-2 inch above the water level (no tidal information) directly on the magenta line. Looked like a small metal pile...."

Does anyone have first hand info about this? It sounds like a huge nav hazard. It's bad enough to watch all the debris, but hitting a metal pipe in the middle of the channel is the last thing I want. The swamp is full of grass, the cut has pipes in the middle....It makes me want to just stick to the ocean.
Have made the run dozens of times as a delivery capt...never have seen anything in the middle of he channel except floating stuff...don't believe everything you hear reported to the USCG or posted on Active Captain...a lot of boaters are clueless about their own boats...let alone the world around them.

The magenta line is meaningless. Pretend it doesn't exist...I never even knew it existed till a few years ago after boating my whole life, 23 years USCG and another 13 as a delivery capt and cruiser. I never imagined that someone would be dumb enough to mark the middle of something that shifted every day to a point.

Don't sweat it...you are as likely to hit something in the ocean as you are the ICW...except bottom.

Have made the run dozens of times as a delivery capt...never have seen anything in the middle of he channel except floating stuff...don't believe everything you hear reported to the USCG or posted on Active Captain...a lot of boaters are clueless about their own boats...let alone the world around them.

The magenta line is meaningless. Pretend it doesn't exist...I never even knew it existed till a few years ago after boating my whole life, 23 years USCG and another 13 as a delivery capt and cruiser. I never imagined that someone would be dumb enough to mark the middle of something that shifted every day to a point.

Don't sweat it...you are as likely to hit something in the ocean as you are the ICW...except bottom.

Thanks for reassuring me. I totally agree with you. Obviously anything can happen out there, but that post sounded a bit out of line.

Thanks for reassuring me. I totally agree with you. Obviously anything can happen out there, but that post sounded a bit out of line.

I am going north from Carolina Beach to Oriental in a few days. Read Active Captain around MM239. Wrote a post myself. There's something submerged on the green side. I linked a photo of a barge apparently stuck. Others have posted about bent props and shafts. That's the only obstruction that I currently am aware of...

When are you making your trip?

Thanks for the tip, Ben.

If all goes as planned, I'll be heading to SC in the first week of Nov.

Quick questions:
How long does it take to go through the bridges and the lock from Norfolk via the VA Cut? I'm looking to make from Norfolk to Aligator River Marina in one day.

I might have a crew member coming along that will have to leave me from Norfolk. I was planning to stop over Ocean Marine Yacht Center overnight. Does anyone know if the Greyhound has decent operation out of Norfolk station? It looks like a 10min cab ride from the marina.

Thanks for the tip, Ben.

If all goes as planned, I'll be heading to SC in the first week of Nov.

Quick questions:
How long does it take to go through the bridges and the lock from Norfolk via the VA Cut? I'm looking to make from Norfolk to Aligator River Marina in one day.

We did in one April (2010) day. Our boat does 6.7 to 8.0 kts cruise depending on high side (2000+ RPMs) or low (1750 normally)

From Hospital Point we caught the 600 opening of the Gilmerton bridge and then followed a couple of boats through the normal passage (not Dismal Swamp). We were in Coinjock late morning/mid-day, and on the Alligator River headed south about an hour before sundown. We anchored right at the opening of the Alligator-Pungo canal, bottom of the Alligator River. It can be a little buggy there. But your weather will likely be colder than ours. We had a calm crossing of the Albemarle Sound. A few beam waves, but not rough.

Gilmerton Bridge
https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/50014775

Alligator River
https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/50014836

Next morning. Pungo-Alligator Canal
https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/50014815

Last edited:
Going North tomorrow. From Carolina Beach to Oriental. Cold tonight!!!

But pretty.

image-953993962.jpg

Anchored at Bellehaven, NC tonight and heading to Stuart, FL. FYI, the Gilmerton Bridge now has 35' clearence when closed. We shall be in Oriental tomorrow. BTW, have done this trip numerous times and have never seen anything sticking out of the water.

Which marina would you guys recommend in Oriental where I could get fuel as well as staying overnight?

Are you just staying the night or do you want to look around some? If you are just passing thru, goto River Dunes. If you want to stay a day or two, goto Oriental Marina. Both have fuel. One is outside of town and one is right in the middle of it.

Anchored at Bellehaven, NC tonight and heading to Stuart, FL. FYI, the Gilmerton Bridge now has 35' clearence when closed. We shall be in Oriental tomorrow. BTW, have done this trip numerous times and have never seen anything sticking out of the water.

On Saturday, we'll likely pass each other. Be aware that there are numerous reports (including mine) of a submerged object damaging running gear near MM 239. Please check Active Captain and Cruisers.net. Or just stay to the red side between markers 61 and 63.

We're headed north from Wrightsville to store the boat in Oriental.

Which marina would you guys recommend in Oriental where I could get fuel as well as staying overnight?

Tom makes a good point. Is worth staying in Oriental because it's fun (great food at M&Ms and great morning coffee at the Bean) and not isolated like River Dunes, though River Dunes is a first class marina (outrageously clean, well-maintained, and friendly staff).

You can't go wrong either way.

Check fuel prices, but Jarrett Bay, 10 miles South is usually 20-30 cents cheaper than Oriental. Many sport fish hit it, so the fuel gets high turns.

Or go a couple more hours to Morehead City Yacht Basin where fuel is usually cheaper and go to Floyds for dinner and cocktails. Both are great options!!

Or go a couple more hours to Morehead City Yacht Basin where fuel is usually cheaper and go to Floyds for dinner and cocktails. Both are great options!!

Amen, Sister Bess! :socool:

And Praise Be to the Holy Shrine, Ruddy Duck! (Nuthin' like beer in Mason jars!):dance:

If you will be taking on much fuel, New River Marina at Sneads Ferry (about 30 miles south of Morehead) usually has the cheapest on the ICW. Dudley's in Swansboro is usually the next cheapest. It is worth checking prices for a large amount.

If you will be taking on much fuel, New River Marina at Sneads Ferry (about 30 miles south of Morehead) usually has the cheapest on the ICW. Dudley's in Swansboro is usually the next cheapest. It is worth checking prices for a large amount.

Hi Don,

Thanks! I actually did fuel up on the trip down at New River Marina. I checked Cruisers.Net yesterday and seemed like Dudley's was about 2-3 cents cheaper this time around. So most likely I'll give them a try. I'll check again on the trip up tomorrow. My single Lehman is not so thirsty, so likely fuel take will be light.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom