Old 10-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #1

City: Fairport, NY
Vessel Name: Penguin
Vessel Model: C-Dory Venture 29
Happy to help with Erie Canal info

Hello
I'm in upsate NY, Fairport... retired ex Kodak. Tour boat captain on the Erie Canal and a National Safe Boating Council certified powerboat instructor. I am a Cruising Editor for Waterway Guide and happy to provide any advice for members who might be travelling on the NY State Canal system. I've done it for 12 years, time to downsize from my 29 C Dory diesel inboard and do some other exploring.
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt JJ View Post
Hello
I'm in upsate NY, Fairport... retired ex Kodak. Tour boat captain on the Erie Canal and a National Safe Boating Council certified powerboat instructor. I am a Cruising Editor for Waterway Guide and happy to provide any advice for members who might be travelling on the NY State Canal system. I've done it for 12 years, time to downsize from my 29 C Dory diesel inboard and do some other exploring.
I just did the Erie Canal about a month ago. Fairport looked like a great place to stop, but I'm sorry to say I missed it this time around. Oh well, more to explore for next time.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for offering up the local knowledge. I'm sure it will be helpful to many.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Hello
NY State canal System is our absolute favourite cruising ground.
Cruising New York State Canal System, Erie, Cayuga, Seneca
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. We did the Erie about 3 years ago and had a great time.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #5

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Quote:
Hello
Capt JJ; originally from Geneva, planning to take our Hatteras north next year, but need to hinge my radar arch first (current air draft 19.5’). I think I can get it down to 14.5’. Do I need to aim lower than that? Worst case, we could get off at Oswego and stay at Sodus, but we’d like to make it to Geneva and Fairport (family there, too). Thanks for any advice.

PS: my uncle worked in engineering development at Kodak, retired 20 yrs ago, probably before your time
Old 10-20-2019, 08:45 PM   #6

I've been around Kodak for a while too. Retired in 2007. If your uncle worked in motion picture I might have known him.
You will be good at 14.5' with room to spare. The canal west of Three Rivers is a 15.5 clearance at normal pool levels. Once you get that far, it's only 12 locks to Buffalo. In my opinion the nicest section of the canal, passing through the villages on mostly the original route. Check the NY Canal Corp website for all bridge clearances.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #7

Thanks. Stop in Fairport next time, I'll show you around.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:01 PM   #8
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Welcome aboard! I did the eastern half of the canal and the Oswego canal bringing my boat up from CT to Rochester this summer.

I'm thinking we'll likely go back through Oswego and do the western half of the Erie at some point next summer. Fairport is definitely on the list for places to stop. Of course, it's always fun traveling by boat and taking several days to get from home to "a 30 minute drive from home"
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Welcome. I remember chatting with you a couple of years ago when I was passing through. Nice spot.

Are you going exploring on a smaller boat?
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
Welcome. I remember chatting with you a couple of years ago when I was passing through. Nice spot.

Are you going exploring on a smaller boat?
I think I remember talking with you too.
I have 2 smaller center consoles. I plan to get a Class B RV when I sell Penguin, and do the Great Loop towing one of the small boats, I'm retracing the travels of my great grandfather who was a river boat pilot from Pittsburgh to New Orleans from 1854 to 1899.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Welcome aboard! I did the eastern half of the canal and the Oswego canal bringing my boat up from CT to Rochester this summer.

I'm thinking we'll likely go back through Oswego and do the western half of the Erie at some point next summer. Fairport is definitely on the list for places to stop. Of course, it's always fun traveling by boat and taking several days to get from home to "a 30 minute drive from home"
You'll enjoy the western trip. Let me know when you plan to go and I can answer questions. Depending on how many days you are travelling, there are many stops you can plan. I know some good food places too. Did you meet the Bridge House Brats in Phoenix last year? Great bunch of kids. Fantastic youth program.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:25 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Capt JJ; originally from Geneva, planning to take our Hatteras north next year, but need to hinge my radar arch first (current air draft 19.5’). I think I can get it down to 14.5’. Do I need to aim lower than that? Worst case, we could get off at Oswego and stay at Sodus, but we’d like to make it to Geneva and Fairport (family there, too). Thanks for any advice.

PS: my uncle worked in engineering development at Kodak, retired 20 yrs ago, probably before your time
Wpc
If visiting Geneva plan a stay at Sampson. It was rebuilt 100% last winter and now better than new IMO.
Let me know ahead and will be sure to be around.
We'll have a vehicle if you need anything.
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:46 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
You'll enjoy the western trip. Let me know when you plan to go and I can answer questions. Depending on how many days you are travelling, there are many stops you can plan. I know some good food places too. Did you meet the Bridge House Brats in Phoenix last year? Great bunch of kids. Fantastic youth program.
We did spend a night in Phoenix, but we arrived around 5:30 PM, so the brats were gone for the day. And we were off the dock as soon as the lockmaster at O1 was ready for us in the morning (leading into a very fast run up the Oswego canal, 4 hours flat from Phoenix to Oswego cruising at 6.5 kts).

For the western canal trip, we're not sure of our timing yet, but possibly around July 4th. Length of trip is a little up in the air as well, depends on how long a block of time we can both take off from work. We're also debating ducking down the Cayuga Seneca Canal, but not sure if it'll fit the schedule yet or if that'll wait for some other time.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #14
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Having now lived in Perinton/Fairport and now Pittsford for the last 7 years, I can say this is a very civilized place with a very uncivilized winter.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:01 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Having now lived in Perinton/Fairport and now Pittsford for the last 7 years, I can say this is a very civilized place with a very uncivilized winter.
As long as we don't get another winter like last year, I'm ok with it. I can handle the cold, snowy winters. But I can't handle the not so bad ones that seem to go on forever.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #16

City: Cape Coral FL\Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: 1997 Mainship 350
Hi Capt JJ

Sorry to hear you are thinking of selling your C Dory, she is a sweet little pocket trawler.

Met you a few years back in Fairport, we are canal rats, been doing trips for 17 years now out of Buffalo. Also worked at Kodak for 19 years, you worked with my step mom Sue.

Best of luck with whatever you decide next to do in your retirement!

Ron and Jane
"Missy"
ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #17

City: St Augustine
Vessel Name: Agape
Vessel Model: Californian 45
Thanks for the offer. My wife and I are just getting started. We have family living on land on Lake George NY. Anyway we can get there by boat via Hudson river? We'd be coming up from Florida.
Thanks,
Paul
Pmcsurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmcsurf1 View Post
Thanks for the offer. My wife and I are just getting started. We have family living on land on Lake George NY. Anyway we can get there by boat via Hudson river? We'd be coming up from Florida.
Thanks,
Paul
Paul
Lk George is land locked and not accessible via boat / canal. The Champlain canal passes by some towns that are not too far from parts of Lk George. Depending on where they are you might be able to meet but it would require a drive by one party or the other.
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:21 PM   #19
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
We may have lost the OP, but maybe someone else knows:

Are there any electronic charts available for the Western part of the Erie canal? Anything that could be used in OpenCPN would be good. ENC format would be even better.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #20

City: St Augustine
Vessel Name: Agape
Vessel Model: Californian 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Paul
Lk George is land locked and not accessible via boat / canal. The Champlain canal passes by some towns that are not too far from parts of Lk George. Depending on where they are you might be able to meet but it would require a drive by one party or the other.
Thanks for the info.
Much appreciated
Pmcsurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote