Old 08-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by man n black View Post
@BandB....yessir...we have a small but growing list of needs and wants in a boat..first and foremost is seaworthiness and redundant systems to make safe ocean crossings...it does seem to limit our boat type/manufacturer numbers....

I personally would love a sexy, fast, luxurious Hatteras fishing boat....but we'd be stuck cargo shipping it around the world and that's just not adventurous..I also like the idea of the Nordhavn 75EYF but few of those have been built and I've read there were inherent problems with that boat as compared to other Nordhavn models..Ultimately...we know that we have to tour some boats and get a feel for what we need and want vs. what we can give up..These forums have helped answer some of those questions for us already..

Cheers,
Ch
You've established one of the requirements. You need to think how many will be aboard, whether you'll have crew or not, experience of you and others. Also, look at other cruising grounds. For instance the 75EYF you mentioned eliminates a lot of cruising grounds because of both air draft and water draft. One thing you'll find in looking too is that the boat which "can" do what you want, "may" not do it at all comfortably. It's one thing to be safe, but if you don't enjoy the trip, that's not enough. When you talk crossing oceans in a power boat then size becomes a big plus. Give me a 40' and a 70' built with the same seaworthiness and both capable of crossing, the 40' may leave you wanting to sell the boat and fly home and the 70' might handle the rough seas with less of the feeling being transmitted to those aboard. The sensation of the rises and falls is just less.

You're at the point to start working on your requirements list, but you've established a couple of criteria which will narrow your selection considerably.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Bring baby powder. Last time I went, my wobbly bits got a little chafed....a lot chafed. You'll be doing a lot of walking in a potentially hot humid environment. A little dusting and...poof...back to normal. I'm not kidding!!!

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #23

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Many insurance companies will require paid crew for ocean passage making unless you have had very extensive experience. It will be worth your time when investigating what type of boat to buy to also investigate insurance prior to your purchase.
Getting back to the boat show it is a spectacle, with hundreds of boats on display, many well over 80 feet. Foot traffic on the docks is slow as there are so many people. The first day is less crowded as the tickets are high priced, the last day is less crowded as the local folks will be back to work. If you decide to drive there are a few parking lots near the entrance at $75 or more. Traffic is jammed in the area of Bahia Mar.
Many hotels have minimum stay, especially the ones within walking distance so reserve soon as many will be sold out and prices will rise as we get closer to show dates.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #24
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
"Last time I went, my wobbly bits got a little chafed..."

Way too much information!
Wobbly bits, very descriptive.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Steamboat Springs CO.
LOL +1...

We atr finalizing our rooms as we speak probably stay close enough to walk to the water taxi or we'll just Uber back and forth..flights have been done for a week now..

@BandB...agreed...That's a large reason why we are attending FLIBS...hopefully get to walk around on a few boats from different manufacturers to get a better feel of liveaboard size vs. length and features etc. We definetely want to enjoy the journey...unfortunately because our primary mission is a go anywhere boat I think we're locked into a trawler type. Those all seem to have 6+ feet of water draft and are quite tall in the sizes we think we'll be comfortable on..we'd likely have to do the great loop on something different and be careful with our anchorages elsewhere..

Ch
man n black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #26

City: smith
Vessel Name: Privateer
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 52
Not an absolute, but " crossing oceans" favors a full displacement hull form, and great loop plus canals and inland bridges favors wet exhaust ( air draft), and ICW favors >6 ft draft. At this point, the list of capable boats gets shorter. Kadey Krogen is one. There are others that will be mentioned after this post. I am obviously partial to KK. And no, I am not a broker.
I don't intend to cross oceans, but having a boat that can provides a bit of safety margin when crossing " troubled waters" such as the Mona Passage etc. See you at the show.
SailorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by man n black View Post

@BandB...agreed...That's a large reason why we are attending FLIBS...hopefully get to walk around on a few boats from different manufacturers to get a better feel of liveaboard size vs. length and features etc. We definetely want to enjoy the journey...unfortunately because our primary mission is a go anywhere boat I think we're locked into a trawler type. Those all seem to have 6+ feet of water draft and are quite tall in the sizes we think we'll be comfortable on..we'd likely have to do the great loop on something different and be careful with our anchorages elsewhere..

Ch
Fleming 65. 5' draft, 17'11" air draft. Cross oceans. Cruise 14 knots or so, WOT 18 knots. Range at 8 knots, 2000 nm, at 7 knots, close to 3000 nm, at 6 knots, 3500 nm. Capable of oceans, loop or ICW.

Fleming 55. 5' draft, 16' air draft. Cruise 14 knots or so, WOT 18 knots. Range at 8 knots, 2000 nm, at 7 knots, 2500 nm, at 6 knots, 3000 nm.

There are others.

As to height, there are some that clear except for arch's or masts and those can be hinged.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:09 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Fleming 65. 5' draft, 17'11" air draft. Cross oceans. Cruise 14 knots or so, WOT 18 knots. Range at 8 knots, 2000 nm, at 7 knots, close to 3000 nm, at 6 knots, 3500 nm. Capable of oceans, loop or ICW.

Fleming 55. 5' draft, 16' air draft. Cruise 14 knots or so, WOT 18 knots. Range at 8 knots, 2000 nm, at 7 knots, 2500 nm, at 6 knots, 3000 nm.

There are others.

As to height, there are some that clear except for arch's or masts and those can be hinged.
Yes and Marlows have a low air draft and are very stable at anchor.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #29
Veteran Member

We will for sure take a look at Marlows and Flemings, though not exactly in our looks wheelhouse, as we'd like something a touch saltier looking; Ive watched many of Tony's videos and he demonstrates his boats are very capable, though I'm not sure we are in the market for a semi-displacement hull type.

@SailorGreg...we'll deffo say Hi at the KK area. Your "Privateer" is in our size range as a liveaboard and it'd be good to get a sense of actual interior vs. exterior sizes. KK is on our short list as manufacturer. One other thing...did i read your quote right the ICW favors boats of greater than 6 feet draft? If so please explain?

Our lodging is all set (Sonesta) so we are definitely locked into and excited to go to the show . Our tix will be sorted by mid week next week and we have changed our stay plans to have the availability of going to the Thurs night preview as well!

Capt. Bill has given us SOME FABULOUS restaurant recommendations and I can repost them if anyone following is interested.

Please keep posting valuable info as I still willing to learn more!

Hopefully we'll catch a few of you there!

Cheers,
Ch
Old 08-19-2016, 04:56 PM   #30
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I'm sure he meant less than 6' draft is best for the ICW.

And for areas like the Keys and Bahamas for that matter.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I'm sure he meant less than 6' draft is best for the ICW.

And for areas like the Keys and Bahamas for that matter.
If your draft is greater than 6', you're probably going to be running outside. Still you face issues when trying to go to a marina and have to be selective.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #32
Veteran Member

that's what i was thinking..had this noob confused there for a sec....