Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
"Nobody gets any credit for an IQ over 2.0!"

Welcome to the Nanny States!

Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:13 AM   #142
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
koliver-the first time I rented a car in LA with that sticker I wondered why it only caused in Californians.

THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:04 AM   #143
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. OC. Your most recent narrative brings back memories. Thanks. I remember on our last trip south, noting the ships "in the marsh" and on approaching the ocean/Savannah shipping lane there was a "ship", of some sort, large in any case, running into Savannah at what seemed 20 knots. Even though I could actually see the ICW on the other side I waited for the speedster to pass in opposition to the Admirals "Go ahead, you can make it" urging.

Again, fond memories of the Hinkley yard. We had fairly extensive work done there about 10 years ago and the yard crew was excellent. VERY good work. I particularly remember Bob (can't recall last name) the mechanic. Heck of a guy and a real mechanic.

We always tried to time our Hell's Gate passage on a near to and rising high tide. So far, so good. I understood, that Claiborne Young reported that Hell's Gate had been dredged (I'm thinking 4 or 5 years ago) but I guess that area is prone to silting.

Safe travels...
Mr. RT, thinking it might have been your admiral telling you to hold position ar the intersection, kind of out of your avatar's character to resist a challenge.

Went to Hinkley's 4 years ago to look at a boat. Very nice people. Certainly a reputation for quality work.

Think I will be timing my next visit at Hell's Gate to correspond with a higher tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilge53 View Post
Years ago (80's) in Thunderbolt (Thunderbolt Marina) they used to leave a USA Today and a box of Crispy Creme donuts on you boat each morning. That was a good thing and likely to be the freshest food I had on the boat.

Crossing St. John's is interesting. Looking straight into the south side it is real apparent. Looking across...not so--- especially when there is a lot of traffic.

Have fun!
That's just what I need, somebody leaving temptation every morning at my boat. I try to have a healthy diet, my defense to temptation isn't very good though.

Lots of water moving through there on the out going tide. I'm a firm believer in the law of gross tonnage, also known as the right of weight. I can be very patient when it comes to ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
" I got a warning for not having mounted the oil discharge placard."

Got to be kidding!!

My son bought a sailboat that had come to Canada from Seattle. It had one of those. I couldn't believe what Galaxy you would need to be from where such a placard would be necessary.

Then I came to California and see the Prop 65 warnings everywhere. "contains chemicals known to cause cancer in Californians".

Nobody gets any credit for an IQ over 2.0!
I'm good with the warning for the placard violation. It's something I forgot to do, knew the requirement, and have installed them on my other boats. Had it, just forgot to install it.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #144
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Did they say where they like to see it mounted? For boats with obvious engine room entrances, easy...but for others...I have seen them all over the place and no great description where to mount.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #145
Guru

City: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
.............We always tried to time our Hell's Gate passage on a near to and rising high tide. So far, so good. I understood, that Claiborne Young reported that Hell's Gate had been dredged (I'm thinking 4 or 5 years ago) but I guess that area is prone to silting.
We were through there last spring and our experience was like the OP's. Buoys sitting in the mud.
WesK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #146
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Did they say where they like to see it mounted? For boats with obvious engine room entrances, easy...but for others...I have seen them all over the place and no great description where to mount.
On the way to the engine room or in it. Have a spot for it right next to the oil change pump.

Ted
Old 02-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #147
Guru

Came through at dead low in early Jan this year.

Usually prefer dead high or low... one doesn't mater where you go and the other ....you usually can see where you HAVE to go...

But this year I was lucky and a Georgia Research Vessel (converted shrimper about 60 feet long) literally squeezed in front of me at the flashing green just on the North Side. He went flying through so I guessed that there's more water than what most people claim there is...sure enough...he may have pushed some mug but he zipped right through and I followed. His path was a normal passage based on the marks and the one I usually read also. Nothing unusual with a slight tendency to hug the green can side for the turn.

Not a lot of wiggle room...still enough.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #148
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
On the way to the engine room or in it. Have a spot for it right next to the oil change pump.

Ted
Thanks!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:40 AM   #149
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
CG boarding experience

This summer while crossing Lake Ontario out of Oswego we were boarded by CG. It was for training just like Ted's experience. I stayed at the helm while the wife showed all the inspections items. We have a discharge plaque at the lower helm. The young CG fella said we needed a "waste management plan". He told her to get a pen and paper. He proceeded to dictate a plan while my wife wrote down what he said. It basically said we would segregate all trash and properly dispose when we were ashore. It sounded bogus to me but it was easier to get them off the boat as fast as possible. They were very friendly and the experience wasn't bad. The wife wasn't pleased that their big black boots marked up her wool rug in the salon.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #150
Guru

Another pretty sunrise in my private anchorage!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160210_064724.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	48741

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160210_071113.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	48742

Another ugly day on the water. 20 to 25 gusts to 30 knots with 2 to 3' seas on St. Catherines sound. Correction, just had a 40 knot gust. Seas are down to 1' as I'm just about out of the sound. Seas were higher as wind was opposing the incoming tide.

Ted
Old 02-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #151
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
This summer while crossing Lake Ontario out of Oswego we were boarded by CG. It was for training just like Ted's experience. I stayed at the helm while the wife showed all the inspections items. We have a discharge plaque at the lower helm. The young CG fella said we needed a "waste management plan". He told her to get a pen and paper. He proceeded to dictate a plan while my wife wrote down what he said. It basically said we would segregate all trash and properly dispose when we were ashore. It sounded bogus to me but it was easier to get them off the boat as fast as possible. They were very friendly and the experience wasn't bad. The wife wasn't pleased that their big black boots marked up her wool rug in the salon.
I believe West Marine gives those signs away for free or you can buy nicer versions.

I have them but forget where they are when it comes time to show them. The whole idea of a sign seems pretty silly. We all know what we're supposed to do but we're going to do what we want regardless of a sign.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #152

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Came through those sounds the first time back in the late 80's on my 27' sailboat with the single cylinder BMW diesel. It was bad and I didn't know better. Water was flying everywhere. My depth sounder was a flasher and I had my VHF speaker laying on the lazarette next to it. It was lonesome and it didn't help any when the rain joined the wind. Next the VHF quit so I had no contact with anyone if I had wanted to. Kilkenny Creek looked real good (which is hard to do) when I finally got in after dark. The VHF started talking again after I dumped the water out of the speaker. Character building or something.
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #153
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Another ugly day on the water. 20 to 25 gusts to 30 knots with 2 to 3' seas on St. Catherines sound. Correction, just had a 40 knot gust. Seas are down to 1' as I'm just about out of the sound. Seas were higher as wind was opposing the incoming tide.

Ted
If you had been a week earlier you would have had beautiful weather and temperatures in the seventies.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #154

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Well, his temperatures are still probably in the 70's most of the day (inside). That's the good news.
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #155
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I believe West Marine gives those signs away for free or you can buy nicer versions.

I have them but forget where they are when it comes time to show them. The whole idea of a sign seems pretty silly. We all know what we're supposed to do but we're going to do what we want regardless of a sign.
Are you talking the red and blue "trash disposal" stckers?

If so...that is not a written waste management plan required for vessels over 12m. (40')

However the "waste Management plan" is easily available on the web...thought even the BoatUS website had one.

Simple one page document, works for any of our boats. I Keep using the same one year after year...just draw a line and have the crew initial and date it every yearly cruise. Makes it look like people actually look, read and flollow it. Coasties liked the idea.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #156
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Waste management plan: Collect garbage. Dispose of same in appropriate containers on shore. Yup, written on a single sheet of paper in chart drawer.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #157
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"Greetings,
Waste management plan: Collect garbage. Dispose of same in appropriate containers on shore. Yup, written on a single sheet of paper in chart drawer."

I have an audible plan:
"Honey, your turn to take out the garbage"
Not kept in a drawer.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #158
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. k. Fair enough but in the US it has to be written down. I have no idea how THAT is going to make any difference to what people do. Those that throw their trash overboard are still going to do so and those of us who responsibly manage our trash are going to keep doing so.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #159
Guru

Why is it that it's perfectly legal to cut up a fish and throw it overboard and call it "chum" but if you cook it first, eat the flesh and throw the head and bones overboard it's called "garbage" and you can be fined for doing so?
Old 02-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #160
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. WK. I guess for the same reason that if you do an oil change in your lane way and drain the old oil back into the ground it came from you can be charged with pollution...I don't make or enforce the laws, simply abide by them.