Old 02-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #121
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Are you staying in the ICW through GA? I've never been through that stretch but heard it was shallow.

Looks pretty however with all the marshes and twists and turns.
It is pretty, but too much of it can be a challenge to appreciate. When just passing through and not exploring I think its a little different for everyone.

The Little Mud river just north of Brunswick, Ga is a pretty shallow stretch for quite a few miles I went through at dead low tide with 4 foot draft and no issues but 2 sailboats behind me came to a screeching halt. I cant say they were in the deepest part as sometimes you have to read the banks to figure where the best water is and even that's no guarantee.

A lot of people report shallow spots and I'll bet some weren't even in the channel. After ungrounding boats for 13 years you would be amazed at the number of guys who would say first thing when I showed up "but I'm in the hannel" and some would be at last 50 feet out of it. But to be fair, there are a few stretches where the deepest water to be found at low tide is less than the controlling depth.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #122
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Timing the tides in the Wrightsville Beach to Georgetown SC is a challenge. I have done it where I most often had favorable currents, other trips it was 90% on the nose.

I think if you leave Osprey just after Gtown high tide, you can ride the ebb in the Waccamaw. That is if Osprey is where I think it is, behind Myrtle Beach somewhere well past Little River.
Left this morning around 7am. Bucked the tide for about an hour before it tuned. Road the flow all the way to the ICW turnoff below Georgetown. Water speed was 7 knots. Peak ground speed hit 10 knots. Upper left corner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160206_104751.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	48671

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Yes, Osprey is just to the south of Myrtle Beach so on the way to Georgetown. It is consistently the highest rated marina and lowest price fuel in the area. I've never actually stopped there as it's too close to our destination/departure location for us to stop, but heard nothing but good about it. Did you get a goodie bag?
Got the goodie bag. Not sure about the food. I try to eat a healthy diet. The Honey Bun and the Pecan Twirls maybe be given away. Not sure what to do with Hot Pepper Jelly. I can send it to you if you like.

Name:	20160206_184502.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	48672

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Are you staying in the ICW through GA? I've never been through that stretch but heard it was shallow.

Looks pretty however with all the marshes and twists and turns.
Yes will be doing the ICW the whole way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
It is pretty, but too much of it can be a challenge to appreciate. When just passing through and not exploring I think its a little different for everyone.

The Little Mud river just north of Brunswick, Ga is a pretty shallow stretch for quite a few miles I went through at dead low tide with 4 foot draft and no issues but 2 sailboats behind me came to a screeching halt. I cant say they were in the deepest part as sometimes you have to read the banks to figure where the best water is and even that's no guarantee.

A lot of people report shallow spots and I'll bet some weren't even in the channel. After ungrounding boats for 13 years you would be amazed at the number of guys who would say first thing when I showed up "but I'm in the hannel" and some would be at last 50 feet out of it. But to be fair, there are a few stretches where the deepest water to be found at low tide is less than the controlling depth.
I haven't done it enough to be tired of it. Lots of interesting things to see.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #123
Guru

If you were following yesterday's progress you know because of the current, I ended 10 miles short of my goal. What a difference a day makes. Left at around 7am and bucked the current for about an hour. Then it switched and road the flow all day. Normally aim to do 60 to 70 statute miles a day. Today I covered 90 miles in ten hours. That's average 8 knots ground speed, running 7 knots water speed. Ended up going further partly because of the weather forecast. Small craft advisory for tonight; gale warnings for tomorrow! Decided I wanted to be tied to a dock instead of Anchored in the marsh during 35 mph gusts.

For those who travel the ICW, some good news, dredging! There is a stretch in SC around McClellanville (MM 430) has a couple of miles of really skinny water. Good news, looks like they are getting ready to dredge it.

Name:	20160206_131205.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	48673

Also, the section East of Charleston harbor, and above Sullivan's Island has been dredged to 16'.

Ted
Old 02-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #124
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Looks like a nice little Ellicott. Nice dredge.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #125
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Awesome!!! I have heard GA can be a challenge due to low water in the ICW. Any issues yet? Any pucker moments?
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #126
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Awesome!!! I have heard GA can be a challenge due to low water in the ICW. Any issues yet? Any pucker moments?
I don't like skinny water. Have the depth alarm set 2' below skeg depth. Listened to it on and off for a couple of miles today. That's what makes me pucker.

Ted
Old 02-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #127
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The good news is, the bottom is soft mud. If you hit, you can usually just back out and try a different way.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #128
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
The good news is, the bottom is soft mud. If you hit, you can usually just back out and try a different way.
Yup, already did that once trying to get by a dredging operation in NC.

"C'mon by on my port side captain, there should be enough water."

"Are you aground?"

"See if you can back off, and I'll get the push boat to move the dredge pipes."

"Thank you! Have a nice day."

Ted
Old 02-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #129
Veteran Member

City: New Bern, NC
Vessel Name: Miss Deb
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hello Ted,

I have a suggestion for that pepper jelly. Put a little cream cheese on a cracker and top with a dab of pepper jelly. Nice quick appetizer.

Thanks for all of your posts.

Gene
SlowsailNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #130
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowsailNC View Post
Hello Ted,

I have a suggestion for that pepper jelly. Put a little cream cheese on a cracker and top with a dab of pepper jelly. Nice quick appetizer.
Yep! Delicious.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #131
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Yep! Delicious.
Wifey B: I don't think so....
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #132
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Instead of tuna fish sandwich try a smoked salmon. Same as a tuna sandwich, just salmon. Nice bridge snack! You will ask for another one guaranteed....

Good to see ya moving down the coast Ted. Having fun yet?
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #133
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Ted that dredge incident was probably at Mason Inlet a few days ago. Just north of Wrightsville beach bridge. That is a pucker spot even without a dredge there, but I think they got it cleaned up as the dredge has moved on.

That spot is less than a mile from where I sit.

Be glad you are south now. We've got a nasty low sitting right on top of us, 35F, heavy rain, and lots of wind. Just checked the radar and that thing is not moving at all.

Nasty weather indeed.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #134
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Ted that dredge incident was probably at Mason Inlet a few days ago. Just north of Wrightsville beach bridge. That is a pucker spot even without a dredge there, but I think they got it cleaned up as the dredge has moved on.

That spot is less than a mile from where I sit.

Be glad you are south now. We've got a nasty low sitting right on top of us, 35F, heavy rain, and lots of wind. Just checked the radar and that thing is not moving at all.

Nasty weather indeed.
No this wasn't the spot at Mason Inlet (MM280). That section was already dredged to 14'.

This was just before channel marker G135 (MM288).

Glad they are dredging!

Sitting in Charleston watching the wind gust to 35 knots periodically. Cold and rainy here also. Good day to do maintenance. Time for the 100 hour oil change.

Ted
Old 02-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #135
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Instead of tuna fish sandwich try a smoked salmon. Same as a tuna sandwich, just salmon. Nice bridge snack! You will ask for another one guaranteed....

Good to see ya moving down the coast Ted. Having fun yet?
Always have fun on the boat when it's not in the boatyard. Will start moving again tomorrow.

Ted
Old 02-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #136
Guru

Another long day yesterday, Charleston to South of Beaufort SC. Logged 78 nautical miles about 85 statute miles and spent the night in a protected anchorage up the Cowen river.

Not much fun so far today. Crossing Port Royal Sound in 25 to 30 knot winds and 2' very short chop. Waves build over 7 miles of open water. Not a great pic, but you get the idea. Love my fresh water outlet at the windlass station. Great for rinsing off all the pilothouse windows!

Name:	20160209_081328.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	48722

Thought my all in one PC plotter had become possessed, until I realized the batteries in the wireless keyboard were almost dead. All better now.

Ted
Old 02-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #137
Guru

Well it was a very ugly day. Winds blew 20 to 30 with some gusts in the high thirties. Some days it's better to stay put. Ended up South of Savanah GA. As you near Savanah, the ICW goes through an S turn, before eventually crossing a narrow shipping lane from the ocean to Savanah. Being intent on navigation, you some times miss the horizon. Lousy pic, but that container ship is less than 1/8 of a mile away. Don't normally see them in the marshes.

Name:	20160209_113406.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	48731

This is an odd research vessel I saw today. Way to short for it's height.

Name:	20160209_134906.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	48732

Somewhere South of Hinkley's yard, I was boarded by the USCG from a DNR boat. Times must be tough when the Coasties need to ride share. They were doing recruit training, and I was the only fool out. Let's play boarding inspection. You bring your DNR boat along side in 20 knot winds to put 4 Coasties on my swim platform. No harm, no foul, no scratches to the paint. Needless to say, they were impressed with the engine room and the pilothouse. 45 minutes later when all the paperwork was done, I got a warning for not having mounted the oil discharge placard. This all occurred while I was still running the boat, never stopped. One of the recruits was quite cute. She really liked the master stateroom. I offered to let her stay. She declined. Something about a boyfriend.

For those who haven't done the ICW, there is a channel between two natural rivers called Hell's Gate. Notorious for shoaling problems. Once you're in, there's no turning back. South side is shallower; I entered from the North. Not a good sign when the buoys are sitting on the mud. Channel on the South side was 4'; I draw 4' 6".

At least there was a nice sunset in my private anchorage this evening.

Name:	20160209_180700.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	48733

Ted
Old 02-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #138
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. OC. Your most recent narrative brings back memories. Thanks. I remember on our last trip south, noting the ships "in the marsh" and on approaching the ocean/Savannah shipping lane there was a "ship", of some sort, large in any case, running into Savannah at what seemed 20 knots. Even though I could actually see the ICW on the other side I waited for the speedster to pass in opposition to the Admirals "Go ahead, you can make it" urging.

Again, fond memories of the Hinkley yard. We had fairly extensive work done there about 10 years ago and the yard crew was excellent. VERY good work. I particularly remember Bob (can't recall last name) the mechanic. Heck of a guy and a real mechanic.

We always tried to time our Hell's Gate passage on a near to and rising high tide. So far, so good. I understood, that Claiborne Young reported that Hell's Gate had been dredged (I'm thinking 4 or 5 years ago) but I guess that area is prone to silting.

Safe travels...
Old 02-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #139

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Years ago (80's) in Thunderbolt (Thunderbolt Marina) they used to leave a USA Today and a box of Crispy Creme donuts on you boat each morning. That was a good thing and likely to be the freshest food I had on the boat.

Crossing St. John's is interesting. Looking straight into the south side it is real apparent. Looking across...not so--- especially when there is a lot of traffic.

Have fun!
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #140
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
" I got a warning for not having mounted the oil discharge placard."

Got to be kidding!!

My son bought a sailboat that had come to Canada from Seattle. It had one of those. I couldn't believe what Galaxy you would need to be from where such a placard would be necessary.

Then I came to California and see the Prop 65 warnings everywhere. "contains chemicals known to cause cancer in Californians".

Nobody gets any credit for an IQ over 2.0!
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote