Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #401
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Safe travels Ted. Fryedaze will depart Solomons Nov 5th. She goes on the hard today for yearly bottom work and detailing. Tempertures are dropping and we gotta git outta here. Heading for LBK again this year.
LBK = Long Boat Key?
If so, wave when you go by. Thinking about a cruise up to Tarpon Springs this winter. Have to see if you or Healhustler want to make it get together.

Ted
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #402
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Safe travels Ted. Fryedaze will depart Solomons Nov 5th. She goes on the hard today for yearly bottom work and detailing. Tempertures are dropping and we gotta git outta here. Heading for LBK again this year.
Wifey B: High 87 degrees, Low 80.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #403
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,353
Have a safe trip. Iím thinking about about emulating you and heading north next hurricane season. Maybe to the Chesapeake area next summer? Never been up that way.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #404
Guru
 
fryedaze's Avatar
 
City: Solomons Island Md
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
LBK = Long Boat Key?
If so, wave when you go by. Thinking about a cruise up to Tarpon Springs this winter. Have to see if you or Healhustler want to make it get together.

Ted
Yep, Longboat Key. We have visited Tarpon a few times. Great cruising from where you are to Tarpon.
__________________
Dave Frye
Fryedaze, MC 42 (Monk 42') 1989 Overseas Co
http://mvfryedaze.blogspot.com/
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #405
Guru
 
fryedaze's Avatar
 
City: Solomons Island Md
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,308
I see your in Mile Hammock tonight. I heard the hurricane broke the ocean free to the ICW at the turn just north of Mile Hammock basin. Is it still opened up?
__________________
Dave Frye
Fryedaze, MC 42 (Monk 42') 1989 Overseas Co
http://mvfryedaze.blogspot.com/
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:46 PM   #406
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,690
Well it's been some stops and starts between the weather and an 80 year old bridge. Was planning to take the Dismal Swamp canal to Elizabeth city on Monday, but an 80 year old bridge at the South Mill lock, broke almost closed. So neither car or boat traffic could get past it. On Sunday it was determined that Maybe it would be fixed on Monday. Ended up coming back out of the Swamp Sunday and got to Great Bridge to take the Albemarle Chesapeake canal. Missed dinner at Cypress Creek Grill in Elizabeth city. Monday wasn't to bad, but Tuesday was a virtual traffic jam on the AICW. Actually, everything moved smoothly, but just more boats traveling on it than I have ever seen. Spent last night in hmason's secret anchorage in Oriental NC. Had dinner at M & M's. If you find yourself in Oriental, the food is great and extremely reasonable.

Today had me transiting between Oriental and Mile Hammock (anchorage next to Camp Lejeun). Pictures for today:

Does this 25'+ center console that I'm towing down the AICW at 10 knots make me look big? He actually did a very professional job including passing a few sailboats in the river section.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191024_071853.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	95699

If you anchor in Mile Hammock, plan to be the landing approach for the Ospreys. Quite the show this afternoon.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191024_163837.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	95700

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #407
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,690
So I ended up in Southport NC today and had dinner at one of my favorite restaurants.

https://www.josephsitalianbistro.com/home

What was truly amazing is this little dead end waterway right around the corner. Small enough that you probably need to bow and stern anchor just to keep you out of the way. A picturesque anchorage right on the edge of Southport. On the other side of the trees on the right is a small waterway that carries cooling water from the nuclear power plant. Well I guess no anchorage is perfect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191025_160826.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	95751

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:22 PM   #408
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,353
That menu just made me hungry.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:48 PM   #409
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
That menu just made me hungry.
It's funny, I don't think I've ever had a main course from the menu. They have 6 or 8 specials every night. Not only do they tell you what they are, but they describe the contents and how they're made. Tonight was shrimp, scallops, artichokes and ravioli with a light cream sauce. That and the steamed clams in white wine and garlic sauce to start.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #410
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,690
Left Osprey marina yesterday heading for Charleston. As luck would have it, my itinerary would have me going through McClellanville at low tide. By10AM the winds were 20 to 25 South to Southwest. Reached McClellanville right at low tide. The winds kept some water in; the the low wasn't too extreme. Down to that point I don't think I saw less than 9' of water near low tide. Within a half mile of town it shallowed to about 8' minimum. After town to dredge Tenacious it got really skinny. Just as I'm about to pass the dredge, I see less than 6' with the depth alarm going off. Passing the dredge, it takes quite a while (15 seconds) for the depth sounder to accurately read the bottom because of all the suspended mud in the water. Then the water depth dropped to 9'+ for the rest of the trip to Charleston. They have a mile or so to go before than entire stretch is 9'+ at MLW.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:48 AM   #411
Guru
 
Cigatoo's Avatar
 
City: Narragansett Bay
Country: New England
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 851
Looks like a great day to be running outside. Enjoy!
Cigatoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #412
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
Looks like a great day to be running outside. Enjoy!
Yes it's a wonderful day offshore! Going from Charleston to Port Royal sound. Currently about 10 miles offshore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191028_144201.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	95836

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #413
Veteran Member
 
Woodstock's Avatar
 
City: Oak Island, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pawseidon
Vessel Model: Navigator 4600
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
It's funny, I don't think I've ever had a main course from the menu. They have 6 or 8 specials every night. Not only do they tell you what they are, but they describe the contents and how they're made. Tonight was shrimp, scallops, artichokes and ravioli with a light cream sauce. That and the steamed clams in white wine and garlic sauce to start.

Ted
I remember seeing you. This is our home marina and we love Joseph's too. They make an awesome soft shell crab appetizer or main which is my favorite. Rusty Hooks is getting their act together after opening last spring so that's another alternative.
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:03 PM   #414
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,690
I'll have to remember to reach out to you in the spring when I come back North. Always fun to me TF folks and have dinner together.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:19 PM   #415
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Left Osprey marina yesterday heading for Charleston. As luck would have it, my itinerary would have me going through McClellanville at low tide. By10AM the winds were 20 to 25 South to Southwest. Reached McClellanville right at low tide. The winds kept some water in; the the low wasn't too extreme. Down to that point I don't think I saw less than 9' of water near low tide. Within a half mile of town it shallowed to about 8' minimum. After town to dredge Tenacious it got really skinny. Just as I'm about to pass the dredge, I see less than 6' with the depth alarm going off. Passing the dredge, it takes quite a while (15 seconds) for the depth sounder to accurately read the bottom because of all the suspended mud in the water. Then the water depth dropped to 9'+ for the rest of the trip to Charleston. They have a mile or so to go before than entire stretch is 9'+ at MLW.

Ted
Wifey B: Only one time in my young life have I taken that trip inside. No thanks. Myrtle to Georgetown to Ocean to Charleston, thank you. Current conditions there are 2' at 7 seconds and the more important one is all the depth readings are double and triple digits.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:08 AM   #416
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20,118
It's how I keep growth off the bottom of my keel every year....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #417
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Only one time in my young life have I taken that trip inside. No thanks. Myrtle to Georgetown to Ocean to Charleston, thank you. Current conditions there are 2' at 7 seconds and the more important one is all the depth readings are double and triple digits.
We're all very happy that you're out there along with the other flypaper.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #418
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,690
Well they've pulled most of the buoys from Hell Gate. Other than draft, you could probably drive a container ship through there now. From what I understand, they have one buried cable that they need to identify the owner of, so that they can dredge and bury it deeper. Other than that, it looks like 12' at MLW and wide enough for 2 tugs and barges to pass each other. No reservations going through there in the dark at dead low tide.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #419
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Well they've pulled most of the buoys from Hell Gate. Other than draft, you could probably drive a container ship through there now. From what I understand, they have one buried cable that they need to identify the owner of, so that they can dredge and bury it deeper. Other than that, it looks like 12' at MLW and wide enough for 2 tugs and barges to pass each other. No reservations going through there in the dark at dead low tide.

Ted


Which Hell Gate is this? I only know the one in NYC.
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #420
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Which Hell Gate is this? I only know the one in NYC.
Mile Marker 602 on the AICW. its a short passageway between the Ogeechee river and the Little Ogeechee river in Georgia, just below Skidaway Island.

Ted
__________________

__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×