Exumas - 2019 Version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're here!

Tried to get into Allen's but no room at the inn, so anchored off Highbourn. Will stay here for a couple of days.

First swim around the boat - all is good!

Attachments

• IMG_20190323_172256090.jpg
    IMG_20190323_172256090.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
We're here!

Tried to get into Allen's but no room at the inn, so anchored off Highbourn. Will stay here for a couple of days.

First swim around the boat - all is good!

Keep your eyes peeled, we're anchored in the bight north of the Sampson docks. We dinghied in to Staniel today to pick up a stabilizer cooling pump I had Watermakers bring over. And one VHF decided now's a good time to quit. It IS a boat. They KNOW when they're in the Bahamas. Last year it was refrigerator. Shhhh..... they're listening.

Keep your eyes peeled, we're anchored in the bight north of the Sampson docks. We dinghied in to Staniel today to pick up a stabilizer cooling pump I had Watermakers bring over. And one VHF decided now's a good time to quit. It IS a boat. They KNOW when they're in the Bahamas. Last year it was refrigerator. Shhhh..... they're listening.

On a boat, something is breaking, you just dont know it yet.

We did hold our breath a bit last night re things not working.

We had a new water maker installed but have never run it - never had a need to and wanted to wait for nicer water to use.

So after anchoring we got the genset running to charge the batteries. Even though we had only used a quarter of our water tank I said "we should go ahead and start the water maker just to make sure .."

Sian looked at me and said "now isn't this something we should have done before we left and had the ability to get it fixed?"

Boy was I praying that all was good! And it was, ran it for three hours and the back flush auto started as soon as I stopped the system.

Wheew!

Where exactly is Samson dock?

Following your trip. Wife and I plan to cross to Bimini from Key Largo (or somewhere around there?) then Berrys, Eleuthera, Exuma. Have about a month of cruising time. Is that enough?

If you consider five days in Eleuthera, a couple in the Berry's, and two to get home (weather dependent) that gives you two to three weeks in Exuma - you can run down the west side from Allen's to the Farmers/Black Point area, and back - but that would be only staying a day or so in each place. I would not recommend trying for Georgetown as you can very easily get weather bound there because of Exuma Sound.

Also consider Eleuthera after not before Exuma. That way you can skip it if you spend too much time in Exuma or the crossing between the two is not doable. There is more to see and more sheltered anchorages if stuck in Exuma.

Last edited:
Is it better to skip the Berrys and just go to Spanish Wells? I was thinking I might be able to get to somewhere in the Berry Islands from Bimini in a day but maybe not. Maybe just anchor on the bank then make for Spanish Wells?

I can make 7 knots but would rather travel 6.5. Don’t want too many 12 hour travel days with the wife aboard— she likes shorter, easier cruises.

Last edited:
Without looking at my Explorer charts I would say you have a good 80-90 Km to the Berrys from Bimini and easily the same from there to Spanish Wells - the latter through open water. So if you want shorter days you are going to have to break it up - though you really can't break up the run from the Berrys direct to Spanish Wells.

Got it. Thanks.

What’s your opinion on anchoring out in the middle of the bank between Bimini and the Berrys? Early May.

Following your trip. Wife and I plan to cross to Bimini from Key Largo (or somewhere around there?) then Berrys, Eleuthera, Exuma. Have about a month of cruising time. Is that enough?

Cardude,

That's a pretty ambitious itinerary. It's a full day's run from Bimini to the Berry's, 80 nm, we leave from Gun Cay ~0600, with daylight time you'll have a good 12 hrs to make the trip, we cruise 6-7 kt depending on current. Another day to SW/Eleuthera. Keep in mind those runs are over open water. If you want to really torque your wife, start out on one of those runs with winds clocking around on your nose in a couple hours, then beat into headseas for the remainder of the 12 hrs with no alternative but to slog ahead.
One of the attractions the Exumas holds for us is that the run to get here is 2 days from Bimini, but once in the Exumas, you can do 20 mile hops and get to really delightful spots. We've hung out in Bimini for up to a week waiting for a window, there's plenty to see & do, so it's not tiresome. Then two days to hop to the Berrys day 1, then Highborne day 2. Both long 80 nm days, but tolerable. The other option is to do an overnight- leave from Bimini 1130, north around north rock, then thru NW channel, down the tongue to south of New Providence and across the bank to Highborne. Night travel is all in deep water, you'll start across the bank S of NP about 0500, you'll have light when you need it.

Traveling in May your WX windows will be much better, with far less chance of being weathered in at one spot. Even going to Georgetown can be broken up with maybe one long-ish (50-60 nm) day. Stop along the way, there are so many interesting cays to explore that are just a couple hours apart. Some of those hops can be on the bank if WX kicks up.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Got it. Thanks.

What’s your opinion on anchoring out in the middle of the bank between Bimini and the Berrys? Early May.

I'd give those odds at 60 - 70% that will be a happy nite.

No cover and a lot of fetch out there. But, usually decent.

Ah, OK. Samson Cay. Will be swinging by there in a couple of weeks.

I've never done that so wouldn't be comfortable commenting.

Could you make Chub in a day?

I've never done that so wouldn't be comfortable commenting.

Could you make Chub in a day?

Possibly make it to Chub. Can you check in at Chub? Thinking about just anchoring out behind Bimini after crossing instead of going into the harbor to save time.

What about Great Harbour. Isn’t that a little closer than Chub?

Possibly make it to Chub. Can you check in at Chub? Thinking about just anchoring out behind Bimini after crossing instead of going into the harbor to save time.

You can clear at Chub. Be aware that there is a 50 dollar per person spending minimum on Chub!

Great Harbour is about the same distance from Bimini as Chub. It depends where you want to go afterwards. Great Harbour is closer to Grand Bahama and Abaco (hole in the wall), Chub for going to Eleuthera or Exuma.

Last edited:
Heading back to Lucaya. Our water heater started pouring water. From somewhere inside and high up. I suspect I need a replacement. We considered just going on and dealing with cold showers (for three months!) - but decided to get it fixed.

Looking at Knowles Boat yard. Does, anyone have experience with them or anyone else over here?

Sigh.

Recent experience for a survey.
Quoted $350 for haulout then charged another $350 for launch 2 hrs. later.

Cool blog entry. On the NW passage, is there a go/no go level of seas you use there? I’ve never been in this area and wondering if it’s anything like crossing the Gulf Stream with currents and winds to contend with?

I have anchored on the bank and it was perfect but the weather was also perfect. Be wary if the weather is not so co-operative.

Cool blog entry. On the NW passage, is there a go/no go level of seas you use there? I’ve never been in this area and wondering if it’s anything like crossing the Gulf Stream with currents and winds to contend with?

It is not as challenging as crossing the stream. However it is open, it is deep, and with a NE wind there is a looooooong fetch. So you need to keep an eye on the wind and wave conditions using your usual sources.

I use Windy, Windfinder and Marvsweather.

Excellent. Thanks. Looking forward to your Exuma blog posts.

Bimini is pretty quick at clearing. However, if you don't intend to spend time there an easy place to clear is Cat Cay. We've cleared there three times and an average of under 30 minutes total time including waiting.

Short video of the Warderick Wells mooring field.

Oh my. That water clarity is amazing!

Must be so neat to be able to visually verify anchor set from the foredeck! Thanks for sharing.

Must be so neat to be able to visually verify anchor set from the foredeck! Thanks for sharing.

Not so much from the foredeck as we usually let out around 75 feet of chain. But we motor over it on the dinghy and can see it clearly - as we did today at Samson Cay after checking out some snorkel sites. And yes, we could see it totally buried up to the shank! Quite often we have put on a snorkel mask and swam from the boat and checked it as well.

Back
Top Bottom