Old 08-13-2019, 07:20 AM   #21
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird MMSI 367769170
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship m1 #149
We're all about scenic & slow but, for us, the trip from the NC state line south to MM40 wasn't real enjoyable because I was always wondering if around the next bend we were going to encounter a fallen tree that was impassable. We're in Manteo for a couple of days now & heading home via the VA cut. We'll see what Liz thinks of that route since shes never been on the waterway before. I've never had any more of an issue with inconsiderate boaters on the VA cut than anywhere else on the waterway (well, except for South Florida) but then again, I've never done any cruising in a slower trawler style boat before, either.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #22
Guru

City: ACIW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The Dismal has a speed limit so slower boats usually don't have to suffer the wakes like the other waterways (well at least for 22 miles).

My first trip I got my A** kicked in a blow in Currituck Sound...you can do the Dismal route in a hurricane....well almost ...that turned my crew off to the Virginia Cut route and made the Dismal the go to.

Not for everyone...but to be fair...I have never had issues like some have had and I have done it 11 times. Yes, I have gone around and over some trees...but really didn't bother me as you can get close to the sides (never hit anything there either). And no I am not bragging as I have hits stuff all along the ICW and been aground at times too.

That's my real point...I guess it can be bad enough to close it...but that is the exception, not the rule and usually no worse than other stretches of the ICW.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote