Dismal Canal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Flushing will never be the same."

True, back then the storm sewers and waste sewers were combined so there was a constant flow of waste into Flushing Bay , so the Worlds Fair Marina was very aromatic.

Folks that lived aboard at the WFM would wear rubber gloves when dink racing as they preferred not to touch any line that went overboard.

With millions spent over 50 years , the bay still stinks most summer time , its still Flushing!

Last edited:
WifeyB. You’ll never succeed in advertising unless you can lie better. ����

FF I remember goinging down the East river to the World’s Fair Marina have to be in neutral half the time to avoid “stuff “ floating. Still it was a great time for an 18 year old.

FF I remember goinging down the East river to the World’s Fair Marina have to be in neutral half the time to avoid “stuff “ floating. Still it was a great time for an 18 year old.

Clean Water Act of 1972. Were it not for that, we'd have no navigable waterways today, no rivers fit for recreational use. The Cuyahoga River fire of 1969 was a key impetus toward the legislation. Even areas we think of as being so clean today were filled with pollution. I was amazed when in Chattanooga to find out how polluted the air and water had become prior to regulations. From the start of the industrial revolution industry had freely dumped in all rivers and that was on top of all the sewage already entering them.

Not sure how the New River is but the Miami River is a working river and still filthy.

Here is the Wikipedia entry for current use. The "East Coast" inside passage....

Current use

In modern times, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers operates and maintains the canal. The Dismal Swamp Canal is one of two inland routes connecting the Chesapeake Bay and the Albemarle Sound. About 2,000 recreational boaters transit the canal each year as they pass through the Intracoastal Waterway.

The canal was closed October 2016 to boating traffic after Hurricane Matthew caused a flash flood in Chesapeake VA. The runoff from this storm filled the canal with silt and sand, making it impassable. The necessary dredging for navigation on the canal was completed November 2017 to a depth of approximately five feet, and reopened for a short time before closing again, due to being inundated with duckweed. The duckweed clogs the intakes on power boats, quickly causing them to overheat. The Elizabeth River runs almost parallel to the canal, and was not affected by the 2016 flash flood, being much wider and much deeper than the canal. As of March 2018, the canal has been reopened by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The ICW has remained open during all of this via the Elizabeth River and the North Landing River.

The Virginia portion of the canal was located in Norfolk County, which today is the City of Chesapeake, where the northern portion of the canal at Deep Creek connects with the Southern Branch Elizabeth River.

The southern end of the canal leads to the Albemarle Sound. The Dismal Swamp Canal Visitor Center is the only visitor center in the continental U. S. greeting visitors by both a major highway and a historic waterway. It is located in Camden County, North Carolina, on scenic U.S. Highway 17 three miles south of the Virginia/North Carolina border.

The canal is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been designated a National Civil Engineering Landmark. The historic canal is now recognized as part of the Underground Railroad and along with the Great Dismal Swamp, is noted as a former sanctuary for runaway slaves seeking freedom.

The East Coast Greenway, a 3,000-mile long system of trails connecting Maine to Florida, runs along part of the Dismal Swamp Canal Trail.

"have to be in neutral half the time to avoid “stuff “ floating"

What flushes into Flushing bat is seldom solid , human waste , animal waste (dog poo) and "white whales".

After the water was cleaned up the marina expenses on LI Sound went into orbit.

The toxic water kept marine growth at bay , with a bit cleaner water many docks and piers were eaten and needed replacement pilings .

We came through in November with absolutely no problems, drafting 4 ft. Measured least depth at 5' in one area that was well marked. Go slow, enjoy the travel, and as in all rivers watch out for floating limbs and follow the markers.

I did the coinjock route in April. Ended up getting stuck between the bridges for hours. One of the worst bridge experiences in my 3,000 mile journey. They should better optimize the timing. And it was the slowest lock of all the locks I had been through as well. If we weren't in a rush, I would've taken my time and probably stayed over night in Coinjock. Cool thing was getting into Norfolk at night and seeing seal teams jump off into the water in the dark for training.

I have done the Dismal Swamp Canal maybe a dozen times. Here are some tips for going north:

Most boaters start at the Elizabeth City free docks. I have never seen them full. In peak spring season the town used to host a gathering of all cruisers at the docks late in the day. That gathering was started by the "rose buddies", Fred Fearing and Joe Kramer. I had the pleasure of going to one of Fred's gatherings early on in my cruising days. Fred and Joe have both passed but the tradition continues (I hope).

If you want to make the transit in one day, you have to get started early because you need to make the first lock through at South Mills to do it in one day. Check the Elizabeth City bridge opening schedule so you can make it through in the morning in time for the lock.

Another option is to continue through Elizabeth City and anchor at the ox bow a bit up the river. That anchorage is absolutely beautiful if you like peaceful solitude.

You can stop for a bit at the Visitors Center and still make the lock through at the end of the day at Deep Creek, but don't dawdle.

The locks are fairly easy, maybe a 3-5' rise up at South Mills and down at Deep Creek. You hand the canal master a bight of line and he wraps it around a bollard. You then take in line going up or let it out going down to hold you to the face.

After you get through the Deep Creek lock you are blocked by the bridge restrictions from getting to Portsmouth until late if you are a sailboater. I used to hang out at the Chesapeake Yachts long face dock until I can get through the Gilmore Bridge after the peak traffic limitation. Almost all of our trawlers won't have that problem and can continue on to Portsmouth.

There are two nice free docks in tiny side coves on the Portsmouth side, High Street and North Landing. You have to avoid the ferry landings. I have used the High Street one as it is close to a hotel with free wifi in their lobby. That was some years ago and more wifi sites may now be available.

Going south:

For the sailboater I went through the Gilmerton bridge at night and I used to tie up at Chesapeake Yachts. Active Captain cautions that it isn't really free. There is a tiny cove a bit further towards Deep Creek that could hold a boat or two and I once tied up overnight to Deep Creek's bollards.

Like going north, you have to make the first canal opening to get through in a day.

Visitor's Center:

This can be a blast. Some years ago I was single handed cruising and had lots of time. Stopped at Elizabeth City for a couple of days and got to know the cruisers there. One of the lift bridges near Portsmouth was shut down for several days so a half dozen of us headed for the Visitor's Center, rafted up three deep and had a ball for a few days. We did potluck dinners, shared libations and generally partied it up (in a nice way!).

The Visitor's Center has free wifi and will advise you on lock schedules. There is a little State Park interpretive center across the canal. How you get there is interesting. There is folding foot bridge that you use to cross. When a boat comes they fold it back to the shore to make room.

Like I said I have done the Dismal Swamp route a dozen times and the Coinjock route twice. I totally recommend the DS route.

David
Great info..thx!

Back
Top Bottom