Dismal Canal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some people like the Georgia sounds and the Waccamaw river, some like the Dismal.

Some like neither compared to Alaska... :)

Different strokes.

I like them all. The worst day on the water beats all others.

Greetings,
Mr. ASD. Hot and steamy? Indeed. ALL of the south gets or can get hot and steamy in the summer. That's one reason for the number of AC threads. I'll take hot and steamy with AC or shade and a nice breeze over cold and damp any day of the week.
We've done both the Dismal and the Coinjock route several times and I prefer the Dismal. I also find the low country through GA fascinating. Nothing there except seemingly endless swamp and bog. Stark beauty.

Greetings,
Mr. ASD. I've BEEN to the PNW, numerous times, in all seasons. There's a reason the area west of the Rockies is termed "RAIN forest".

OsAxU.jpg

Wifey B: Seems if they want popularity they'd come up with a better name. Dismal is just so.....so dismal. What about Natural Paradise Canal? Some might thing nudist camp though. :nonono:

And what if they built more at the welcome center and turned it into a Party Palace and the canal wall to wall anchored boats on weekends. :ermm:

Wifey B: Seems if they want popularity they'd come up with a better name. Dismal is just so.....so dismal. What about Natural Paradise Canal? Some might thing nudist camp though. :nonono:

And what if they built more at the welcome center and turned it into a Party Palace and the canal wall to wall anchored boats on weekends. :ermm:
The canal was named for the swamp it goes through (I'm sure you know that). The name goes back prior to the revolutionary war. George Washington was one of the partners of the group that dug the canal. At 200+ years old and a historic site, don't look for the name to be changed anytime soon.

BTW, I actually like the name very much. It discourages the tenderfoots from venturing into paradise.

Ted

There are so many things to like about most venues. Air temp over the water in Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds is quite nice on the flying bridge during the summer at Trawler speed, and the temperature for 22 miles on the Great Dismal Swamp Canal, surveyed by George Washington, for a few morning hours is a small price to pay for one of the most amazing natural environments in the US, connecting the #1 and #2 estuaries in the entire country. Sadly, The DS Canal was closed when I came down from Bristol RI to the Pamlico River in 2017, but the Coinjock/North River route is also amazing. It's great that west coasters have the fabulous San Juan islands, Victoria BC and other PNW destinations, and over here we can come from Cape May NJ to the Neuse River in NC, on inshore mostly moderately open water like the Chesapeake and the NC sounds, and below Nuese a tighter ICW to Florida for those who like that. We're all happy or should be with the choices available to us. As Lee Trevino reminded us in his Cadillac ads a while back, "Is this a great country or what?!"

As a smaller trawler fan, North Carolina, proclaimed "The Goodliest Land Under the Cope (Scope) of Heaven" by early English explorer Ralph Lane on September 3, 1585, and the middle east coast are just right for me, but the PNW - Victoria and the inside passage are on my list for a commercial cruise.

As Roger Miller sang, "You can be happy if you've a mind to."

The canal was named for the swamp it goes through (I'm sure you know that). The name goes back prior to the revolutionary war. George Washington was one of the partners of the group that dug the canal. At 200+ years old and a historic site, don't look for the name to be changed anytime soon.

BTW, I actually like the name very much. It discourages the tenderfoots from venturing into paradise.

Ted

Wifey B: Swamp needs image builder. :lol:

Actually, ....read the history.

Back then just about all swamps were called Dismal...some carry over from Europe according to the Canal museum.

I prefer that the uninformed avoid it

Last edited:
We went through with our 49 MY and had no trouble. My recollection was that we never saw less than 8', or if we did, it was 7 to 7.5 for a short time. I was a little nervous the whole time but it was honestly one of the most enjoyable parts of our journey south this time. Just peaceful, serene and everyone should try it at least once.

That looks like fun. Is this a shortcut for those heading north and south?

You should cruise the Dismal just for the expereince. I never take short cuts on a boat. I always take the long way round for the experience. :thumb:

Mileage wise, there isn't much difference between the DS and the Coinjock route, but because there are no speed limits on most of the Coinjock route, it is faster if you have that capability. Also the Coinjock route only has one lock.

But the experience, beauty and solitude of the DS route makes up for it all.

David
:iagree:

I lived in Elizabeth City long enough to learn some of the history of the Great Dismal Swamp and the canal. For fans of the canal, look up the history and the stories/legends, and you'll love the experience even more!

The same applies to Bath and Washington NC, and then there's Edenton, Ocracoke and so many other beautiful and historic treasures of eastern NC and our wonderful Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds. No wonder Blackbeard tried to retire here! Combine your love for adventure, unspoiled cruising venues, and history. Visit the site of the Lost Colony, find Teach's Hole (where captain Ned Teach would lie in wait for "economic opportunities" just inside Ocracoke Inlet), buy fresh seafood right off the commercial boats in many locations, and visit some truly outstanding restaurants (Spoon River and the Tavern at Jack's Neck in Belhaven, numerous in New Bern, Tony's Sanitary Seafood since 1937 in Morehead, and many more). Marinas are well distributed and slip prices are far more reasonable than on the Chesapeake. NC truly is small trawler and sailboat cruising heaven! Come visit!

There was some good videos on the youtube about the history and construction. Even PBS did an hour TV show on it.

Wifey B: Come one, come all to the new Paradise Canal, formerly known as the Dismal Canal. Have the experience of your lifetime, enjoy the solitude and beauty. You will commune with nature in ways you haven't imagined, you'll refresh your soul in the most special ways. Spend a day or days or weeks. Come through it many times seeing something new each time. Come to our welcome center and we'll make you feel right at home. :D

Now, doesn't that sound more inviting than "Dismal." :rofl:

Went north on the Dismal in June - 4' draft and no traffic ahead of me. Struck 5 different submerged somethings - one of which locked out my starboard propeller, stalling the engine. I'll be having steak at Coinjock next year.

Went north on the Dismal in June - 4' draft and no traffic ahead of me. Struck 5 different submerged somethings - one of which locked out my starboard propeller, stalling the engine. I'll be having steak at Coinjock next year.
Think your steak will be more disappointing than your trip through the swamp. :rolleyes:

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. m. Yup. I don't think I've ever transited without a "thump" of some sort. No damage yet.

I think a lot depends on water or flood levels. Flood levels bringing material off the banks into the fairway and low levels presenting their own problems. Another factor, I think, is what has preceded you in the channel. A boat with a larger prop wash will stir up "stuff" from the bottom and some of that "stuff" will hang suspended due to neutral buoyancy.

Steak or any other beef other than ground @ Coinjock? A complete waste of $$ IMO.

Aw snap! Mr. OC beat me to it.

But you also get a cool fly swatter for the green heads at Coinjock, at least we did on the way through on our Great Loop trip. Also rented a car and did a side trip out to Kitty Hawk, was very interesting

Eric

Hey, everyone should visit Coinjock...Everytime ...eat the best beef in the (Coinjock) world.

No one should EVER go through the Dismal.... :)

Last edited:

Same can happen in a lot of the ACIW parts....

Wow, that sucks. What was your speed? Was there a boat in front of you? If so, how close were you? I have heard the stories of boats and damage. We have heard a few bumps in our trips but a 5 mph there was no damage.

If you attempt to go faster in the shallow, narrow canal, the venturi effect will suck the boat lower and you don't gain speed. It an interesting effect I tried on on trip. I throttle up a bit and after a point the boat doesn't go faster with more power.

Wifey B: You've eaten there before? And still want steak there? Ewwww gross. :nonono::nonono: Definitely quantity over quality. I've had worse, but never had worse that was being so touted by so many people. :confused:

WifeyB. Now put on your creative advertising cap and sell the steak at Coinjock.

BRW. We are planning a trip to the Chesapeake early this summer. It’s been since 1964 I took a boat up to the world’s fair.

BRW. We are planning a trip to the Chesapeake early this summer. It’s been since 1964 I took a boat up to the world’s fair.
I was at the '64 world's fair in NYC. Don't remember seeing you there.

Ted

Really Ted, I was a stud muffin then and had all the girls on the dock after me. Now look at me, even 90 year old ladies won’t look. Great times, walk from the dock past the Mets stadium to the world fair. Flushing will never be the same.

Greetings,
Seattle world's fair...'62.

Mr. BF. (post #53) "WifeyB. Now put on your creative advertising cap and sell the steak at Coinjock." Are you asking Ms. WB to purger herself?

200w.gif

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. ASD. I've BEEN to the PNW, numerous times, in all seasons. There's a reason the area west of the Rockies is termed "RAIN forest".

OsAxU.jpg
Our state name is the Evergreen State, and yes for a reason. Starts with an R.

Greetings,
Seattle world's fair...'62.

Mr. BF. (post #53) "WifeyB. Now put on your creative advertising cap and sell the steak at Coinjock." Are you asking Ms. WB to purger herself?

200w.gif
Was a lad growing up in Seattle when that was being put together. Had a great view of the Space Needle going up from my neighborhood. Being that we were living on a houseboat on Lake Union at the time, we had to go "up on the street" as we called it, to watch the progress.

Back
Top Bottom