Diesel Seminars at TrawlerFest - worth the money?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcpip95

I've been thinking about taking the 2-day "Everything You Need To Know About Diesel Engines, With Nigel Calder, Steve Zimmerman & Adolf Ellert" seminar.

Anybody familiar with it?

Also looking to take "Boat Buyer’s Survival Guide, With Steve Seaton, Ken Fickett, Dylan Bailey, Vin Petrella, Cary Wiener & Todd Lochner".

Again, any experiences with either one? Thanks.

TrawlerFest- Stuart, FL 2017 | | PassageMaker

My brother in law took two classes/seminars with Nigel Calder during the Newport boat show this fall. He loved them!
Bruce

Yes, I took that class last year and it was very good. Both instructors are very smart and good communicators.

I'll be taking other courses, but in the Calder Diesel course, I wondered how they sorted out the old mechanicals from the new electronic versions in the same course. Of course, there are the diesel basics, but in maintenance and care, are they teaching guys with old Perkins and new Cummins units the both subjects?

I'll be taking other courses, but in the Calder Diesel course, I wondered how they sorted out the old mechanicals from the new electronic versions in the same course. Of course, there are the diesel basics, but in maintenance and care, are they teaching guys with old Perkins and new Cummins units the both subjects?

Here is a mini synopsis of the courses offered at this years Newport show.
I'm guessing that with Nigel's background the course is geared more toward the mechanically injected engines used in sailboats.
Most people would benefit from a good class on the basics that apply to both modern and traditional types anyway.
Bruce

Newport International Boat Show | Sailboat and Powerboat Show | Newport Rhode Island

I am registered next month for Diesel 1 and 2 at Annapolis School of Seamanship. Any feedback on those two classes ?
I have 1982 Ford Lehman 120's

I am registered next month for Diesel 1 and 2 at Annapolis School of Seamanship. Any feedback on those two classes ?
I have 1982 Ford Lehman 120's

Yes, I took both, and rate them as excellent. Me coming from a background where I knew more about concept and theory... but couldn't readily identify a fuel filter or a starter or whatever. (Or a carburetor on a gas engine, etc., for that matter.)

You will actually work on engines. The ones there when I went through would be very relevant to your Lehmans. And there's a practical test. :)

-Chris

I took the Annapolis courses several years ago. Did not really apply to my DD8.2's, but I left knowing a great deal more about diesels & troubleshooting than I knew going in. Well worth the time & $$

Are the courses in Annapolis more or less comprehensive than the one offered at trawlerfest, or alternately phrased "If you could only take one,which one? " thankyou

Are the courses in Annapolis more or less comprehensive than the one offered at trawlerfest, or alternately phrased "If you could only take one,which one? " thankyou

I can't tell, not having seen the TF versions. OTOH, seems to me the Annapolis school has been the presenter at some of the TFs, especially those in our area out here.

My guess: If the TF presentation is a one-day thing, that'd maybe be like the Annapolis level I course. If the TF presentation is 2 days, then that'd maybe be more like the level II course. The latter includes several hands-on exercises; not sure if the TF seminars have that or not...

-Chris

I took the Annapolis courses several years ago. Did not really apply to my DD8.2's, but I left knowing a great deal more about diesels & troubleshooting than I knew going in. Well worth the time & $$

We had an 8.2T before. Except for not addressing the turbo, I still thought the Annapolis courses were applicable...

IMO...

-Chris

The trawlerfest one is two eight sessions, not sure what the Annapolis one is.

The trawlerfest one is two eight sessions, not sure what the Annapolis one is.

You mean two 8-hour session per seminar? If so, that'd maybe be more like the Annapolis level II course... assuming enough actual engines in place for small teams to each have an engine to play with.

The "test" at the end of the Annapolis level II course is all about troubleshooting.

-Chris

Is this class helpful if you have a older Lehman 120? I'm thinking they may focus more on newer motors.
Thanks

You mean two 8-hour session per seminar? If so, that'd maybe be more like the Annapolis level II course... assuming enough actual engines in place for small teams to each have an engine to play with.

The "test" at the end of the Annapolis level II course is all about troubleshooting.

-Chris

yes,forgot the hour

Is this class helpful if you have a older Lehman 120? I'm thinking they may focus more on newer motors.
Thanks

If you're asking about the Annapolis classes, I'd say yes. The engines they use in the class (at least when I took the courses) are smaller, but I think they had all the components your Lehman's would have.

Might be some differences depending on if you also have fuel cooling, main oil cooling, gear cooling, etc.... and their engines weren't turbo models... but the basics were covered well enough for me that it hasn't been a leap to understand how our fuel and oil cooling add-ons, and turbos and aftercoolers, fit in.

-Chris

I was wondering about the Bremerton class. I'm thinking then may have moved on to more modern engines!

I was wondering about the Bremerton class. I'm thinking then may have moved on to more modern engines!

I suppose any specific provider may have done that...

But even a 2-day course is still relatively introductory... so using more complicated engines as hands-on teaching tools wouldn't seem (to me) to be all that effective for novice level.

Anyway, it's probably easy enough to ask the course provider directly... I could only speak to the courses I took, and even that was a 4-5 years ago now.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom