Destin, FL Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Meg and I be travelling to Destin, FL for a week in May as a rendezvous point for my 3 siblings and spouses and us to get together in some shoreline condos. I've never been there before and am unfamiliar with the area so I'd like to get to know the surroundings. Pensacola looks like it might have some interesting Naval POIs like the National Naval Aviation Museum. How about POIs near Destin...any recommendations?

My brothers and I like to fish, so any charter recommendations would also be appreciated. Favored restaurants? Cuban food would be great to sample for us since none of us can get it near our homes.

Thanks for any suggestions and tips you might have for our trip. Looking forward to sampling some of your Florida sunshine and water!

It become obvious what to do when you get there. There's a boardwalk that runs along the harbor waterfront with an unlimited amount of charter fishing boats and headboats lined up. There's plenty of restaurants there too. All good. Not exactly Cuban restaurant neck of the woods. Your almost closer to Chicago than Miami. At Pensacola you are closer..thats been my longtime bar room bet. By May your going to think the entire population of Atlanta is there. It's the fancy side of the "redneck Riviera". You'll likely never see as many blonde headed blue eyed people in your life. Practice your "ya'lls" and be sure to be specific that you don't want sweet tea when you order. Your in lower Alabama baby. Tell people your from San Francisco and watch their kids stare at you. Lol
The Naval Museum in Pensacola is excellent, but it's not as close or as easy to, reach as it looks on a map because of traffic.The drive along the Gulf is beautiful.
Fish, play golf, chill in the sand complaining about yankees and the guvmint is what it's all about.

Last edited:
Flywright, we live across the bay from Destin and go over there frequently. As Blake said you really need to take in the beaches. The sand is as white as snow. Water should be warm then. Go to the boardwalk on the north side of Destin harbor and walk the length of it. All the charter boats operate out of there and plenty of places to book them. The Air Force Armament Museum is over close to the airport by Ft Walton and Niceville. Worth a stop there, and of course the National Navel Museum in Pensacola is fantastic. As far as restaurants we don't have a favorite. Most of them are good. No Cuban that we are aware of. If you like Cajun, the best Cajun food I have ever had is at Ernie's Dock Side Restaurant in Niceville. If we are in town then we could meet you there. This area is a great place and has lots of beauty. Not a lot of cultural things here just good old beach and fun.

The Blue Angels practices - usually Tue & Wed AM are open to the public and worth the trip. Most days the pilots will meet & greet in the museum after the show.
Schedule for practices & shows are online.
It is an experience being that close to the flight line & show.

Al, forget the Cuban. It ain't happening down there. Etouffee is the operative word. Blackened red fish if you can find it. Grouper parmesan if you can find it. That area is all about the beaches. They really are some of the nicest. It also has some of the prettiest water this side of the Bahamas. Check the color of the water when the tide is coming in East Pass.

Oh yeah, the oysters from East Point near Apalachicola are really good.

The Naval Air museum is really good, and worth the trip. Coming back through Pensacola stop at Joe Patti's Seafood Market. Pick up some fresh seafood.

Joe Patti's World Famous Seafood Market. Florida Seafood, Pensacola Seafood, online Seafood Market, shop

Destin has some of the best fishing on the Gulf Coast. As PHK said, there are plenty of charter boats on the harbor. You will be there at a good time of year. Just talk a little slower so that you will be understood. Remember that LA down here is really Lower Alabama.

Last edited:
Destin
-The beaches, beaches, beaches.
-The Boardwalk
-There is actually a Destin History and Fishing Museum. We enjoyed it, a chance to learn more about the town's history. Antique fishing equipment and boat.

Pensacola
-The first places people think about are the Naval Air Station and Aviation Museum
-Historic Pensacola Village. They offer a two hour guided tour, but some people spend an entire day there. It is truly worth the time.
-Pensacola Lighthouse. We can't miss a lighthouse anywhere.
-Uncle Sandy's Macaw Bird Park. Yes there are birds and bird rescues everywhere but something about this park is endearing. And you get to feed the birds. I think it's just a nice place to visit.

This is really great stuff, guys! I really appreciate it. Keep 'em coming if you think of other stuff. We plan to keep busy and take in as much of the area as we can.

Muchos gracias!

I second Ernie's Dock Side Restaurant and if you are in Niceville I also recommend Nicks Seafood, it reminds me of Florida when I was in my twenty’s
Nick's Seafood Restaurant | Welcome to Nicks!
I also second Joe Patti's Seafood, it is a must stop for my family. We make the trip if we are within an hour’s drive also near buy is The Oar House on Bayou Chico, overlooking Bahia Mar Marina. Good place for lunch and boat watching. Very casual (read outdoors)It has great food and service.
The Oar House

In Destin, Dewey Destin's at Crab Island where you dine on the dock overlooking crab island Destin’s moats popular place for boaters to gather.
Dewey Destin's Locations

Doesn't Fighter Pilot have a Californian 34 in that neck of the woods?

Lot's of charter fishing in the area, the Naval museum is not far and very interesting. If you like oysters have some Charbroiled if they have them. And don't miss the Blue Angels practice. You might want to check out the Sandestin Resort for golf and the Baytowne Marina and shops for the wives

If you make it in to our neck of the woods let me know.

Thanks for all the advice guys! We'll definitely be doing some fishing and golf. Naval Aviation museum is high on the list, too. My brothers and I all like to eat, so we really appreciate the restaurant and market recommendations!

Sorry we won't be making it to the east coast of FL, Oliver. There are enough of you TFers there that I should make it a separate trip someday! It would be great to finally meet so many of you guys who have been conversing here for years, especially you, Don and Parks! I'd love to charter a trawler to make the rounds!!

Watch out for Parks, I heard the man has a shark mobile! He might even try to sell you stuff out of the back..:D:rofl:

From a fishing standpoint you should try inshore that time of year. Red fishing will be good, cobia will still be around and tarpon will be getting started. The offshore stuff (grouper snapper etc) is good too but not much different than you get at home....same techniques different fish.

Best guide service in that area is shallow water expeditions. Head guide is David magnum. He is one of the 5 best tarpon guides in the us. Less $ than a big boat as well.

Thanks for that advice, Doug! I'm game for inshore or offshore but I should have mentioned...

flats-bay.jpg

http://www.shallowwaterexpeditions.com/rates/

...my brothers and I will require a MUCH larger boat that those!!! My youngest bro really cuts the avg weight for the 4 of us down to something like 210-220 lbs. I was picturing something more.....errrr....trawler-like! I'd even settle for a sportfisher!

I prefer a semi-planing to planing hull, metal or fiberglass (no wood), pilothouse-equipped, galley-optional. :D Any anchor recommendations?

Joe Patti's seafood also has a nice liquor store next door that has good wine selection , even for those California folks . Have fun it sounds like a good time . Al I think you got enough redneck in you to just fit in .:hide:You may not want to go home .:)

Seaside is worth a trip if you're in the Destin area. Or take a whole day and make the drive to Seaside for lunch and then continue on to Rosemary Beach for dinner. Bud and Alleys in Seaside (Rooftop Bar, Roof Deck, Lounge, Specialty Drinks, Margarita's, Martini's, Wine, Cocktails, Cold Beer, Beverages, Best Gulf Views ) is great for lunch and has awesome views of the Gulf and the whitest beach you'll find anywhere. Or for something even more casual, there is a row of vintage Airstream trailer "food trucks" along the main drag across the street from the beach that serve a variety of good food, such as BBQ, gourmet grilled cheese sammiches, ice cream, hot dogs, etc.

Rosemary Beach and Alys Beach (next door to each other) is best for dinner, with several great restaurants. If you want to burn some calories, there is a nice bike path between Seaside and Rosemary Beach -- about 9 miles long.

Joe Patti's seafood also has a nice liquor store next door that has good wine selection , even for those California folks . Have fun it sounds like a good time . Al I think you got enough redneck in you to just fit in .:hide:You may not want to go home .:)

img_321092_0_6cd9b0398912d08d5fe05b0b9864b764.jpg

Compliments of Cpseudonym!

That guy is from San Francisco. Metro male. Real redneck would have camo hat on !

Chicago suburb (Westchester) born and raised...AZ, PA, OK and San Diego as a youthful adult...Sacramentan for the past 29 years. I'm just now learning about the SF Bay geography from water's edge in my recent retirement.

Not a metro-bone in my body, but you're right - I don't own camo anything but my oldest brother owns little that is not camo.

img_321161_0_ca012a8f63e49d52ed2c7bfe0f0cbd9d.jpg

Seaside, Rosemary Beach, and Water Colors are for girly men. Just the name Rosemary Beach sends shivers of fear to a true red neck. You want to go where they drink beer out of long neck bottles like the FloraBama Lounge. Now, that's red neck. Check out Rusty's Bar out the back gate off Blue Angel Parkway. They have tail hooks hanging on the wall.

I didn't know the OP was looking for a true redneck experience. In that case, he should head north of Destin toward Alabammy, and not west or east. And a true redneck wouldn't shiver at the sound of "Rosemary Beach," but the prices may send him running back to the swamp.

Lol. You would do fine in either a bay or flats boat. The pic on the left is David btw he is stronger than he looks.

One of my ex clients was 3 bills plus, I used to wish for a bigger motor when he was on the bow and I was poling. We pushed an unsightly bow wake.

Destin isn't very necky anymore, it's pretty much just a tourist strip these days. You have to further east to get that. St. Joe is very nice as is st George island. Panama City still has plenty of SEC, SEC types.

+1 for Panama City, it's beaches, restaurants and overall hospitality!
I have a cousin and her husband that live up there and have all their lives, so if you run into problems or need anything, we can probably get you hooked up.

Have several friends in P-cola too if you run into problem.

Enjoy your stay.

OD

+1 for Panama City, it's beaches, restaurants and overall hospitality!
I have a cousin and her husband that live up there and have all their lives, so if you run into problems or need anything, we can probably get you hooked up.

Have several friends in P-cola too if you run into problem.

Enjoy your stay.

OD

Outstanding!!! A get-out-of-jail-free card!! You're alright, OD!! My brothers and I will be very grateful!! :socool::D

Thanks to all who have contributed suggestions for our trip to Destin next week. I've printed this thread to take with me as a guide for my siblings and me.

Off Duty, I might need your cellphone number. If I only get one phone call from jail, you're the guy I'm calling!! :D :whistling: :facepalm: :banghead:

Well, we're back and survived our Destin trip with no wounds or arrests. We really enjoyed our time and enjoyed checking the restaurants that were suggested off our list as we visited them. The only places I missed were the two I was really looking fwd to visiting in Pensacola: Joe Pattis and the Naval Aviation Museum. We just ran out of time to do it all and the drive to Pensacola was overruled by the majority when we were selecting the day's activities. I thought I'd have enough time before my flight home from PNS, but that wasn't to be so we hit the historic village. No worries...something new to do next time we visit.

We all commented that we never had a bad meal while we were there and that says a lot for a group of 10 on a one week stay!

Big winners:

Food
Sexton's Seafood Market for Gulf Shrimp
Bud and Alley's
Boshamp's
Dewey Destin's
Maguire's Irish Pub
AJ's (lunch)
Buck's BBQ (take out)

Activities
Fishing charter (Just-B-Cause) Harborwalk Marina
Airboat Adventures (budget hokey operation, but fun for an hour)
Hanging out on the white sand beach (Note: The only thing whiter than the sand was the demographics!)
Seaside shopping for the ladies
Pensacola Al Fresco Airstream Trailer food court near historic Pensacola Village (Great tacos and fried avocado!)

img_335279_0_04fed09cba255d3b0a543bc3b7f94944.jpg

img_335279_1_cc34c64689d841ba5a4c4ffe6e9a04e0.jpg

img_335279_2_acabcbfa358ebc735e0d0f964db590c8.jpg

A huge THANKS to all who posted recommendations and advice. We really had a great time and appreciate all the input.

SeaSide, ugh. Gouda Stuff, ech.

FlyWright if you don't stay away from that kind of stuff lace will start growing on your underwear. Go West to Perdido Key where the Alabama/Florida border splits the island. To redeem yourself go the the FloraBama Lounge that is split by the state line. Better still be there for the Interstate Mullet Toss. Kenny Stabler will sometimes be there to toss the first mullet. Now that's redneck in the heart of the redneck riviera.

Interstate Mullet Toss and Gulf Coast's Greatest Beach Party

Back
Top Bottom