Cruising The Exumas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
We are leaving Jacksonville on the 24th.

24th - Palm Coast
25th - Titusville
26th - Vero Beach
27th - West Palm

28th if the weather is conducive we cross to Lucaya.
March 1st Lucaya to Nassau.
March 2nd Nassau to Northern Exuma. Probably Highborne.

Anyone else planning a similar itinerary?

Check in here if you will be in the area.

Nice! Have been in Abacos for a 2 weeks now.. Love it up here. Already scheming next trip scheming for Exumas.

We're heading back down this fall. Your pictures are making us which we were already there! Great trip!

Awesome!!!!!!! Read it in its entirety.. Thank you so much for taking the time to share that information and story.. A motivation to us for sure!!!!!! Thank you, and look forward to reading more:):)

Great site! Looks like a great trip!

Check out Shroud! And, what do U do for internet connection? boat or land based?

cheers!

Will do Shroud in the next couple of weeks after we drop our guests off at Georgetown.

I bought a BATELCO SIM. You top up the dollars you have on it on line, and then use a freephone *NNN# number to use your bank to buy data by the 4GB and/or use the $ on calls using the Bahamas number you now have.

"It was then that Paul looked around to see if we were now far enough away from the catamaran, to see our dinghy floating free! He ran through the salon peeling off his shirt, past a startled Carolyn, and dove into the water to chase down the wayward boat! He got to the dingy and then couldn’t get over the side and on board. So he abandoned the dinghy, swam to a nearby boat, climbed on board, and then they used their boat to go get the dinghy, which had been snagged by another boater in his dinghy! "

:eek::facepalm:

Stories like these tend to end with someone being given CPR just before their last rights.

Especially where you choose to anchor.

For those who don't know the area, there is lots of strong tidal current there. Not to mention there area zero emergency services throughout most of the Bahamas.

Sorry but that was a foolish thing to do. Especially at our age.

Last edited:
Yeah, you guys are right. Nobody's ever died or gotten seriously hurt after jumping off a boat and trying to swim down a wayward dink/tender.

Especially when they can't even get in the dink when they get to it as it is drifting away from their boat.

:banghead:

Last edited:
Read the blog entry again. We had alrrady been anchored there overnight and I decided to re-anchor away from the close cat. I hadn't just arrived. In fact I had to back the boat down because there was no current. It was backing the boat down that resulted in the prop guards cutting the painter as we forgot to shorten it. The dink was bobbing about five or six freestyle strokes from my stern.

However here is the bottom line.

I was there, you were not.

You know what they say about assuming.

Last edited:
Read the blog entry again. We had alrrady been anchored there overnight and I decided to re-anchor away from the close cat. I hadn't just arrived. In fact I had to back the boat down because there was no current. It was backing the boat down that resulted in the prop guards cutting the painter as we forgot to shorten it. The dink was bobbing about five or six freestyle strokes from my stern.

However here is the bottom line.

I was there, you were not.

You know what they say about assuming.

That all maybe. But I know you couldn't retrieve your own dink after swimming out to it. And I know you couldn't even get in it when you got to it and then had to swim over to another boat to get out.

So if you knew there was no current and the dink was so close, what was the rush? You could have stopped to get a line and/or put on a swim vest.

And if the dink was "five or six freestyle strokes from my stern." and there was no current, why didn't you just turn around and swim the 5 or 6 strokes back to your own boat once you found out you couldn't get in it?

Since someone else had to retrieve the dink, what exactly did you accomplished by racing to dive in after it?

Other than learning you need to add some kind of boarding ladder or straps to your dink. Because you apparently either aren't in good enough shape to get in it if it's in more than waste deep water or the design/layout of the dink makes it very hard to climb into in deep water.

Either way, if there wasn't someone else around, it sounds like you would have been hanging on to your dink till your boat pulled anchor and came to get you. If they even could.

The dominos started to fall. You were just lucky enough to have other people around to stop them from continuing to fall.

Last edited:
Those gals feeding the pigs was too funny:thumb::thumb:

Great job on the blog!

Looking forward to seeing some drone footage of neat spots.

Love the blog

Great job on the blog!

Great job on the blog!

Waiting for a calmer day - the wind has been serious the last couple of weeks. I also want to get some footage where we are the only boat in the anchorage. We are off to Georgetown today so that will be a few days at least since I think, by last accounts, there are over 300 boats down there.

"only boat in the anchorage..."

Kinda like this? (Hawksbill Cay, Exumas)

Attachments

• IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
"only boat in the anchorage..."

Kinda like this? (Hawksbill Cay, Exumas)

Yep! We were off Hawksbill two days ago. Beautiful.

We were the only boat there initially so I thought I might get the chance for some video, but soon after we got there another boat turned up and anchored right on top of us.

Enjoyable blog, thanks for posting.

As I've said before, and taken my lumps for it, March is the worst month of the year for the Bahamas, it blows like crazy.

We were in Exuma two weeks ago for 5 days, it blew 20 plus 3.5 of them. Also, the water was too cold to swim in for more than 20 minutes or so. My son and I went spearing one morning and darn near turned blue. :)

The 1.5 days that it didn't blow were absolutely beautiful.

Though every month is good, some are much better than others.

Last edited:
Waiting for a calmer day - the wind has been serious the last couple of weeks. I also want to get some footage where we are the only boat in the anchorage. We are off to Georgetown today so that will be a few days at least since I think, by last accounts, there are over 300 boats down there.

Lots of places in the Bahamas where you can be the only boat in the anchorage. Georgetown ain't one of those places. :)

OK, here we go - off Williams Cay.

That's extremely cool.

Been here since Saturday. Had some boats stop by, but we are on our own again today/tonight. Working on getting rid of our white bits!

We could sit here forever but we are going to move tomorrow otherwise we will not see much more of the Exumas!

There is a "pond" over on Rudder Cut Cay. It has a 5' bar at MLW on a narrow entrance and only room for a few boats to anchor inside - we are going to try that as it looks pretty amazing in there.

It used to be a private island and the guy that owned it put a chain across the entrance to keep boats out. But his insurance business went belly up and the island was forfeit.

Attachments

• Rudder Cut Cay.jpg
    Rudder Cut Cay.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom