Cruising Destinations Around Charleston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex F

Vessel Name
Inspiration
Vessel Make
420DB
We're keeping the boat in Charleston for the winter season. Aside from what Charleston itself has to offer I wanted to include some cruising for day trips or a weekend trips.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. has anyone take their boats to Morgan Creek in Isle of Palms? The restaurant is running Oyster Fest and I thought it would be a nice day trip by boat. When I called the restaurant they weren't 100% sure about the depths during the low tide. According to the Navionics data there's about 5' tide swing. I'm drawing 4'. Do you guys know if this is deep enough area for me?

Last edited:
The restaurant at Isle of Palms Marina has been good. Mt. Pleasant across the harbor has good restaurants. A good weekend trip is about 60 miles South to Beaufort. Great little town with good restaurants. Hilton Head is about 90 miles, and Savannah about 110. There will be plenty to keep you busy around Charleston for awhile. George Town could be a good weekender, but I'm not certain after the fire.

Thanks Don,

I'll have to check Mt. Pleasant, sounds like a good option for close by cruising. I'll look in to Georgetown, it could be an interesting candidate for one of the weekends.

While making my run to Isle of Palms I thought on stopping by somewhere in Patriot's Point. Would you guys recommend going there by boat? Where would you stay? According to Active Captain there's Charleston Harbor Marina nearby. Is it walking distance from the ships?

We're planning to make a week long trip during spring break (when kids are off school) and do the ports you're suggesting (Beaufort, Hilton Head and Savannah).

Alex, since you are thinking of some longer trips, I thought I would mention a couple of other things. First, if going to Hilton Head, Daufuskie Island will make a great day stop or even over night. You can tie up at the Melrose ferry dock and rent a golf cart. Bicycles work well there as well as on Hilton Head. On Hilton Head you can stay at Harbor Town in Seapines (under the candy striped light house), or Shelter Cove. Shelter Cove Harbor is about 30 or so minutes up Broad Creek, but worth the time. Good restaurants, and the Palmetto Dunes faciliites (golf, tennis, kayaking, and beach) are available. There is a shuttle bus from the harbor to the beach (Dunes Buggy).

Savannah is about 20 miles from HHI.

Thanks for great info, Don. I'll be adding all this to me detailed plan for the spring break trip.

If something comes to mind on other distance destinations, please let me know.

So, far with two visits to Charleston it's has been great. There seemed to be all kinds of events going on and we expect the list to get bigger as the holiday season is approaching.

Thanks for great info, Don. I'll be adding all this to me detailed plan for the spring break trip.

If something comes to mind on other distance destinations, please let me know.

So, far with two visits to Charleston it's has been great. There seemed to be all kinds of events going on and we expect the list to get bigger as the holiday season is approaching.

Alex, here is a big Charleston event to mark down for next spring.

Spoleto Festival USA 2013 - Welcome!

That is some event. My wife would love it.

The trip to Savannah in the spring would be a must to "reset the SC clock". LOL...

...Mt. Pleasant across the harbor has good restaurants. ...

Don,

Do you know if Shem Creek has good depth to take the boat with 4' draft to the Water's Edge restaurant?

Don,

Do you know if Shem Creek has good depth to take the boat with 4' draft to the Water's Edge restaurant?

WesK is correct. I think they are supposed to start some dredging at the entrance, but you should have no real problem. Great seafood!

http://shemcreeksc.com/

Docking can be a real problem in that area. Much of the dock space is leased and not available to restaurant customers. Where docking is available for restaurant customers it can get hectic, rafting is expected (whether you like it or not) and many of the boaters will have had a drink or five by the time they get back on their boats (or before). Best plan would be to go early and not on a weekend.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom