Crossing Florida via Lake Okeechobee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
We are in Norfolk headed south on our way home to the west coast of Florida in Punta Gorda. We are in a new boat to us that draws 4.5'. My question is at what lake water level should I pass on the crossing and take the long way home via the keys?
Today the lake level gauge is above 14'. Meaning that the cross the lake channel is 8.3' deep. I know that at 12.5' they begin to restrict the lock openings. I watch the lake level at
USACE Jacksonville District
What I don't know is at what level is it not a good idea to try and cross with a 4.5' draft trawler?
Any advice from personal experience would be appreciated.

Greetings,
Mr. P. Can't help you with water levels BUT if you're taking the Dismal Swamp route a GREAT place to stop for the night is Lamb's Marina about 5 miles upstream from Elizabeth City. Pretty good restaurant and general store. WONDERFUL staff and owners.
The channel in is a bit narrow but well marked (stay in the middle) with 6'+ in the channel and 10'+ the harbor.

Last edited:
I came through there west to east in June with the same draft, stayed in the channel, and had no problems or concerns. I have no idea where the lake level gauge was at that time.

Good luck, whichever path you choose!

I crossed by way of the more shallow "rim" route with my 3'2" draft and found a single rub spot on the hairpin turn at the last lock into the lake. Other than that, I never saw anything less than 3.5' under our keel, and our transducer is right next to it and set for keel depth. I don't think the cross-Lake channel would be an issue for 4.5. OCdiver, another of our prolific members will be bringing his Cherobini 45 down from Maryland this fall and I think it sports a 4.5' draft as well. He's already made the trip across once before. Maybe you could follow him through.

Two feet under your keel at hull speed works on the cross lake route. But the long way ( via the Keys, not the rim route) is so infinitely much better cruising grounds. Once and done here for the lake for me. I mean, what's the boat for?

Lots of rain at this time ,so lake is high and they will more than happy to release more lake water into the estuarys as they lock you through. You should have no problems crossing the lake.

Stu,
Call George at Roland Martin Marina 800-473-6766. We crossed the lake back in April and there was no issues at all.
Several large boats passed us, with no concerns for draft.
Safe travels,

If survey on new-to-us boat passes muster we will be crossing West to East starting Nov 13th.

Have crossed the lake twice without issue with my 4-1/2' draft. Stay in the channel and I doubt you will see less than 7'. The Okeechobee Waterway from Jupiter to Fort Myers will be one of your easiest sections of your trip to Punta Gorda. There's no swift currents or unexpected tidal changes. Shoaling issues would happen slowly over time and be posted on Active Captain and Waterway Guide. Finally, in case I didn't mention it, stay in the channels, especially from below the Franklin lock to Punta Gorda.

Enjoy your trip! It's really pretty easy if you pay attention, know where you are and know where you're supposed to be.

Ted

If you go the long way, you can visit me in Miami!

Thanks for all the advice. I have been through once years ago, but my first mate has not. She's looking forward to it. We've been the long way through the keys about ten times when we had a tall sailboat. This will be new for her.

We crossed this month around Labor Day. Lake level slightly over 12.5. We draw about 4' 6" with no problems. Make sure you time your lock arrivals during operating hours. We overnighted at Martins. Dock AWAY from the Tiki bar if you need sleep. Lots nice folks all thru the waterway......Rob.

Definitely worth a trip if one hasn't done it. Just the alligators are worth it without all the other scenery. Our first time through, we stopped at Roland Martin and got a fishing boat and guide for a day. That was fun. We've crossed several times with 5' draft and never a problem. We do not, however, take the rim route and would never recommend it. Stay in the main channel and no likely issues.

This site gives you the navigational levels.

USACE Jacksonville District

At 14.49 ft, then route 1 has 8.43' depth and route 2 has 6.63. They try to keep it between 12.5 and 15.5' normally lowering it to around 13' for the summer. Obviously you can see that at 12.5', route 1 is 6.4' and route 2 drops to 4.6', otherwise known as too close for comfort.

If the water is outside the 12.5-15.5' range, then you may find the locks closed briefly until returning to normal range.

Two feet under your keel at hull speed works on the cross lake route. But the long way ( via the Keys, not the rim route) is so infinitely much better cruising grounds. Once and done here for the lake for me. I mean, what's the boat for?

When you say "the long way", where are you cutting through?

I agree. But sometimes you just want to get from the East coast to the West coast (or vice-versa) quickly. The lake route is good for that. Boring, to be sure, and back when we had the sailboat always a PITA at that doggoned 49' bridge at Port Myaka (we had a 52' mast).

I agree. But sometimes you just want to get from the East coast to the West coast (or vice-versa) quickly. The lake route is good for that. Boring, to be sure, and back when we had the sailboat always a PITA at that doggoned 49' bridge at Port Myaka (we had a 52' mast).

It's exciting when they barrel you over to fit under the bridge.

We also did the lake route in June when there was about 12.3 feet of water. Depth was never an issue for our 3'2" draft and 4'5" should be no problem either. I really enjoyed the different scenery and not having to worry about a rolling boat at any point.

If the water level gets low there will be lots of buzz about it on most boating sites. It did several years ago it was big news.
We have done it twice, mid lake channel, it is a nice trip. We also enjoyed the long way, the Keys, Miami, West Palm, etc

If the water level gets low there will be lots of buzz about it on most boating sites. It did several years ago it was big news.
We have done it twice, mid lake channel, it is a nice trip. We also enjoyed the long way, the Keys, Miami, West Palm, etc

We were very disinterested in taking the route for a long time, until coerced by a friend. Now we like to do the Florida loop. Go west either via Key West or the Okeechobee and come back the other way.

When you say "the long way", where are you cutting through?

Cutting through to where?

We were very disinterested in taking the route for a long time, until coerced by a friend. Now we like to do the Florida loop. Go west either via Key West or the Okeechobee and come back the other way

That was my motivation as well. I guess we've spent enough time cruising in the California Delta, and having covered the cross FL and around Lake O trip by car a few times. Other than the locks..zzzzzzzz....

Having read this thread leads me to a question.
We winter on the River by the the US 41 Bridges. We have friends in West Palm and have thought more than once of running over in the 21 CC.
Am I nuts?
How long a run?

Having read this thread leads me to a question.
We winter on the River by the the US 41 Bridges. We have friends in West Palm and have thought more than once of running over in the 21 CC.
Am I nuts?
How long a run?

132 nm total. 26 to Franklin Lock, 24 to Ortona, 14 to Moore Haven, 34 to Port Mayaca, 21 to St. Lucie, 13 to the AICW.

So, depends on your definition of running. It can be made in one day depending on your speed, luck with the locks, and also the time of year and the hours they're operating the locks. It changes with the water levels but right now it's 7:00 am to 5:00 pm on demand.

As to conditions and the 21 CC. Some days it can be a bit rough, but normally nothing you couldn't handle. You could break it into two days and spend the night at Roland Martin's. There may be some other lodging on the trip but I'm not familiar with that aspect.

Here's a general lock schedule that could work if you wanted to do it in one day. Times are arrival at the locks.

Franklin lock-8:30. Ortona 10:30. Moore Haven noon. Mayaca 2:00, St. Lucie 4:00

Here's a general lock schedule that could work if you wanted to do it in one day. Times are arrival at the locks.

Franklin lock-8:30. Ortona 10:30. Moore Haven noon. Mayaca 2:00, St. Lucie 4:00

Thanks
I think I'll be doing it in Feb-Mar so it would have to be in 2 days .
Just looking for something to do and this could kill a week round trip real easy.

Thanks
I think I'll be doing it in Feb-Mar so it would have to be in 2 days .
Just looking for something to do and this could kill a week round trip real easy.

You could do some bass fishing too.

The part of the trip West of Big O is very cool. Very old Florida winding through small towns and lots of Spanish moss hanging from trees stretching over the river.

The bridge tenders are a trip, I won't ruin it by telling you about it but they are very nice and very unique.

:socool:

We made the passage without any problems. First night Indiantown. SUPER nice folks. The local restaurant has great food. They come and pick you up as town is a bit far. Then the second night we were in Fort Myers. Locks close at 1640 so time your trip.
The $24.00 docks at Franklin Locks had plenty of room. We probably should have stayed there for one night, but we kept going to Fort Myers. The water was at 14.78' for our trip. Never saw less than 11-12' the entire cross the lake route.

Sounds like you enjoyed the crossing, good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom