Old 09-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Chesapeake Summer 2018

We are starting our planning for next year's cruise, The Chesapeake, June, July and August.

Are there any TF events planned for that time frame?

Could there be?

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #2

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
Send a message via Skype™ to IntervaleII
We may be there, we currently have the vessel in Atlantic Yacht basin, we are planing on heading to the Bahamas and the Caribbean March thru July. We will be back in July through October. We also have a home in Virginia and normally keep the boat and cruise the bay in the summer. And then we head south to our home in Florida and the Caribbean for the winter. A little late start this year due to our international commitments. It's a great place to hang out for the summer away from the hurricanes. Would be great if we could connect.

IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #3
Guru

City: East Coast
I wouldn't call it an "event" but if everything goes as planned we will be passing through the Chesapeake Bay on our way to and from NYC and the Hudson River.

Do yourself a favor and get a subscription to Chesapeake Bay Magazine. If you call them on the phone, you might be able to get it retroactive a few months. There are articles about cruising to different destinations and a schedule of events.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:18 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I wouldn't call it an "event" but if everything goes as planned we will be passing through the Chesapeake Bay on our way to and from NYC and the Hudson River.

Do yourself a favor and get a subscription to Chesapeake Bay Magazine. If you call them on the phone, you might be able to get it retroactive a few months. There are articles about cruising to different destinations and a schedule of events.
And definitely get a copy of their Cruising Guide to Chesapeake Bay. A great reference and orientation. https://checkout.subscriptiongenius....keboating.net/

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #5

City: United States
Vessel Name: First Forty
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40
Lots of Chesapeake Bay info here.
BayDreaming.com – Your Guide to the Chesapeake Bay
Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:52 AM   #6
Guru

If you have an extra week or so, consider cruising up the Potomac River to Washington, DC. You can get a slip in a marina near the mall, monument, etc.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:01 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I'll be on the Chesapeake May through September. It depends on the summer, but August can be brutal between heat and humidity. May, June, and much of July are nice. September is wonderful and early October is time to migrate South. The Chesapeake isn't a bad place to wait out the worst part of the hurricane season.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #8
Guru

August on the Chesapeake isn't as brutal as it is in Florida. Or even South Carolina/Georgia.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Easy to list places up here you might want to consider in your itinerary:

Cambridge, Oxford, Knapp's Narrows, St. Michaels, Kent Narrows, maybe Bay Bridge (if you need a marina stop), Rock Hall, maybe Fairlee Creek if you need a marina stop, Georgetown, Chesapeake City, Havre d'Grace, Bal'mer (Baltimore), Annapolis, Deale, Chesapeake Beach, Solomons (Island)...

Some of those offer more to do/see than others, of course.

And you can't hardly move the boat without passing a decent gunkhole. You might consider the book "Cruising the Chesapeake, a Gunkholer's Guide" (something like that) by Bill Shellenberger.

-Chris
Old 09-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
August on the Chesapeake isn't as brutal as it is in Florida. Or even South Carolina/Georgia.
What's your point? The fact that it might be less brutal than the marshes of Georgia doesn't mean that it's going to be pleasant on the Chesapeake in August. The object is to enjoy your cruise, not endure it. I was just trying to make the OP aware of the conditions in August.

Ted
Old 09-30-2017, 02:28 PM   #11
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I'll be on the Chesapeake May through September. It depends on the summer, but August can be brutal between heat and humidity. May, June, and much of July are nice. September is wonderful and early October is time to migrate South. The Chesapeake isn't a bad place to wait out the worst part of the hurricane season.

I don't notice August here being any worse than August in South FL when we lived down there. (And I gather OP is usually down in South FL.)

That said... we do usually do much more marina hopping in July and August up here than we do gunkholing. It's not impossible, some July/August nights are even quite pleasant (that's been especially the same this year)... but I don't like to run the genset and AC overnight, just personal preference. OTOH, fans running off the inverter, and some battery fans, all seem to make it OK sometimes.

The September happens, and usually Sept. and Oct. are both really nice up here for anchoring out. Barring other time constraints, I don't think I'd leave the Chesapeake until sometime between 1 Nov and Veteran's Day or just after. (In fact, if we head south this year, our departure date will be 14 Nov.)

-Chris
Old 09-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #12
Guru

Folks, the boat came with so many guides, charts, etc. etc I thought it would sink.

This thread was more about events or get-togethers than where to go.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake Bay,Middle River,Md.
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
During summer months there are many Chesapeake Bay Watermen Day Events that include workboat docking contests, anchor throwing, crab picking etc which show case the activities of Chesapeake watermen. St. Michaels host a antique boat show in June, Crisfield has the Maryland Crab race, Cambridge and Kent Island have hydroplane races. Log Canoe races are held in Oxford Md and Miles River. Chestertown has a Tea Party reenactment. Try contacting the State of Maryland Office of Tourism to see if they still publish a calendar of events . There are plenty of events that celebrate Md history and culture. Get the google machine out and have a look. Enjoy!
David Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:49 PM   #14
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If a member of the great loop association, try the various harbor hosts, knowing what is happening when should be their specialty.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #15
Guru

Getting excited just reading these posts! Maybe we should stay through September as well!
Old 09-30-2017, 08:16 PM   #16
Guru

If you like "off the beaten path", take a cruise up the Pocomoke river. It winds through forests and farms up to Snow Hill, MD. Free docks with electric and water at Snow Hill and Pocomoke. Nice towns with a few restaurants. Kayak, canoe, or explore with your dinghy. 3 days and 2 nights will cover it, more if you like to paddle. Great to do in June or September.

Labor day at Crisfield and Chance has the Skipjack races, Chesapeake Cowboys (boat docking) and the crab derby.

Ted
Old 09-30-2017, 08:21 PM   #17
Guru

Nice,

Keep 'em coming!
Old 09-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #18
Guru

Do you like to watch the Blue Angels? Commensement at the US Naval Academy (Annapolis) is the last week of May. They pull out all the stops for the mid shipmen. Anchor out and take the dinghy in to see the show. There's also a practice show a few days before. The show is on the Severn river in front of the Academy which makes it tight, up close, and personal.

Ted
Old 09-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Do you like to watch the Blue Angels? Commensement at the US Naval Academy (Annapolis) is the last week of May. They pull out all the stops for the mid shipmen. Anchor out and take the dinghy in to see the show. There's also a practice show a few days before. The show is on the Severn river in front of the Academy which makes it tight, up close, and personal.

Ted
My dear man, we are living where they started!

We have them early November every year down here.

They alternate between Jacksonville Beach, where it is an Air And Sea show, and NAS Jacksonville where it is an air show. Either way you can anchor right beneath the plane's path and demos! in fact I suspect they pick a big boat and use it as a marker! Certainly seems that way off shore a few years ago as we got continuously doused in smelly black stuff!

The great thing is our yacht club is at the Beach and Epping Forest Yacht Club is across from NAS , so we reciprocate for slips every other year!

Winning!

This year it is at NAS and we will be anchored right off the end of the runway!

Because that is the weekend we lose the hour and sunset will be at 5:30 here (and Epping are rebuilding some docks), after the Sunday show we are running up to tie up at the Jacksonville Landing and going to the Times Union Center to watch The Sound Of Music!

Fall boating. What is not to like!
Old 09-30-2017, 10:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Ophelia
Vessel Name: Mary Jo
Vessel Model: 1984 Albin 27 FC
We live on the bay and just recently discovered MTOA - the local regions are very active and offer lots of get together and events. We will be heading south this winter but back home in the summer, so looking forward to meeting TF’ers!

Bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote