Old 08-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Chesapeake Bay Log Canoe Races

I got the chance to get out on the bay last week while visiting friends on the Chesapeake Bay.* We were enjoying a sail on his 35 Pearson to*observe the log canoe races out of Oxford, MD.* I had never seen these vessels before...and for those like me, they're slight vessels of little freeboard and minimal keel.* There are between 8-15 people onboard and about half of them must lean out on long boards to act as a counterweight to prevent capsizing.* When they come about, the boards and their occupants have to be moved to the other side.

As we approached the contenders, the wind picked up and the 5-minute warning gun sounded.* Almost immediately, two competitors capsized right in front of us, about 200 yard ahead.*

Once abeam the field, the starting gun sounded and the race was on.* We had front row seats with the race taking place*just off our port side.*

Click the pic below for the video...

*Another participant snapped his forward mast and fell out of the race.*

Others were bailing their boats like their lives depended on it, cause they did!!* These low freeboard vessels take on a lot of water when heeled over in the wind.* Check out the guy in this video.*

We hung around for one turn, then decided we better get out of their way in case their next turn headed them in our direction.* It was a great opportunity to see a nautical event very unique to this part of the country.*

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Chesapeake Bay Log Canoe Races

Al, what a great treat!* Not only that, but Oxford is such a great little village.* Did you get to anchor overnite off the Tred Avon or Choptank?* That was in some of my favorite areas.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
RE: Chesapeake Bay Log Canoe Races

No, Don, unfortunately, we didn't anchor out or get to explore the rivers. We were reconnecting with some long-time pilot buddies and had a dinner party to attend that night in Graysonville. It's an area I'd love to return to and explore via trawler. (That sailing thing is too much work for me, if you know what I mean!!)
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote