Old 10-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I have to giggle at the either/or mentality.

I love snorkeling...tough to do when I was loving living on Kodiak in AK....

I love salmon fishing....tough in NJ...thankfully there's an OK salmon fishery in the Great Lakes only about a 6-8 hr drive away...but a weeks cruise by boat at least.

I love flat's fishing for bonefish...never saw on one in Puget Sound.

I absolutely love the skylines of the PNW but then the sight of active lightening in a gigantic thunderhead out over the Gulf Stream with the setting sun behind it and a couple Coconut palms and a white sandy beach framing it all is dag gone near as spectacular...it just isn't there in the morning mist when you wake up.

Well heck..I guess that's why I like cruising...so I CAN see different sights and yes/no...I wouldn't spend a lifetime cruising the Chesapeake...but it certainly will be a lingering spot as long as I'm cruising the East Coast.

To say your satisfied with the view you have from your boat to the horizon...then like arguing about what is a trawler...I'd debate whether you are truly a cruiser.
We love them all too. Expanding our horizons. Seeing those areas by water that we've never seen even by land. So far we've enjoyed the east coast up to Boston, the gulf to Corpus Christi, the Bahamas, and now Alaska, the PNW and down the coast to California. It's all got it's special beauty. Puget Sound vs. the Chesapeake isn't a choice we've had to make as we've been fortunate enough to enjoy both. Now as to place to live, we love Fort Lauderdale. We love boating weather year round. We would probably both develop seasonal affective disorder if we moved somewhere that we were limited to six months of boating weather.

And we're not making light of the condition as it does impact people. Portland, OR is a beautiful town with so much going. But it also only averages three days of sunshine in January. People who have lived there most of their lives absolutely love the area, rain, clouds and all. People who move there as adults often have major problems their first winter. But it can work the other way. We had a friend who moved to Charlotte, NC from Wisconsin. Her first summer she spent miserable. Home and the mall were the only two places she felt comfortable.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
To say your satisfied with the view you have from your boat to the horizon...then like arguing about what is a trawler...I'd debate whether you are truly a cruiser.
I don't agree with that at all. I know a lot of people who have spent their entire boating "career" cruising only in the waters from Puget Sound, WA and Glacier Bay, AK and everything in between. To say they are not cruisers is the height of ignorance in my opinion.

Some of them, and I include myself in this although I have barely scratched the surface as far as boating in this area, have been all over the world, sometimes on vacations and sometimes for work. And every single one of them-- some of them refugees from the east coast of this country--- has told me that, while they have been to some very cool places and seen some fascinating things, including boating experiences in some of these spots, their favorite place on the planet remains the Pacific Northwest, BC, and SE Alaska.

I think to say that if one has no desire to boat in the region where they live is not truly a cruiser is silly. This applies as much to people who have no desire to cruise anywhere other than the Chesapeake as it does to people who have no desire to cruise anywhere other than the BC Raincoast.

Some people like to move around and see lots of things. Others like to stick to one area and get to know like the back of their hand. There is no right or wrong, just different.

I know you have a lot of experience along the eastern seaboard and perhaps out into the Caribbean and maybe the Gulf. That's great, and I'm glad you enjoy that area. But I know a couple of people who have spent their many decades of boating running only the stretch of coast between the San Juan Islands and the north end of Vancouver Island. And, to steal a phrase from another post of mine, I'm willing to bet that these folks have forgotten more about "cruising" than you--- or I--- will ever know.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
There are very knowledgeable and good cruisers on the Tennessee River. They cover hundreds of miles. Nearly 700 miles before any side trip up the Cumberland or via the Ohio or even down the TN Tom. And some spend a tremendous amount of time boating. To me, if it's on the water and we're doing it actively, then I'm great.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #24
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
My wife and I grew up in Maryland but didn't start boating until fifteen years ago. We had a smaller boat and would boat on the Chesapeake Bay but seldom went far.

We retired to Charleston, SC and eventually purchased HIGH COTTON.

This past May we cruised up the ICW to the Chesapeake and did a complete circle starting on the east side all the way to Havre de Grace and down the west side and up the Potomac to DC. We saw many places we had never seen and some familiar places as well. The entire trip lasted seventy six days. I am working on a "blog" of sorts and I'll post a link when it's done.

The Chesapeake Bay is a wonderful place to cruise and should be on everyone's list if they can do it.

The main down side is, it gets cold in the winter and most boats have to be hauled and winterized for six months.
Looking forward to the read. I too would like to cruise the Chesapeake, but until then I'll do it vicariously.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #25
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I like fishing as my last post suggested...and it looks like I caught one already today....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #26
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Ron, I knew you had lived in Maryand, and knew of you cruise this year. I didn't know that you were basically cruising the Bay for the first time. I can't wait to read your blog. You did a great job on your cruise "up" the St. Johns River.
It's posted as of today. It's been basically ready for a couple months, just waiting for that final "tweaking".

I'm trying to decide where to go next year.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #27
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It's posted as of today. It's been basically ready for a couple months, just waiting for that final "tweaking".

I'm trying to decide where to go next year.
Gotta link?
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Gotta link?
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...bay-17396.html

or here's the direct link:

http://www.widman.biz/indigo/HIGH_COTTON_IV.pdf
Old 11-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #29

City: Washington, DC
Vessel Name: Starside
Vessel Model: 1930 Elco Marinette
The Chesapeake is the 2nd largest estuary on the planet, and the waterfowl that migrates here in the winter months are breathtaking.

As a new cruiser, so far I've cruised to St. Michaels MD from Galesville and visited many of the rivers mid-bay. By land I've been to Chestertown during the Tall Ship downrigging (amazing and a MUST SEE if you like tall ships), Tihlman's Island, Oxford, and of course Baltimore & Annapolis, just to name a few. I've heard that Bohemia is gorgeous and that the Choptank is full of history and Skipjacks! I've also heard that the upper bay's rivers have majestic cliffs and bald eagles.

Every season I hope to cruise different parts of the bay, and it inspires me to think about all of the places I will see...

That said, here are two books on the bay I highly recommend:

CHESAPEAKE SPRING
BIRDS OF THE CHESAPEAKE BAY
(both books written and illustrated by nature writer John Taylor)
Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #30
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Thanks, Ron. Finished reading it all. Great write up!
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Thanks, Ron. Finished reading it all. Great write up!
Thanks. I'm not a pro but it's a way to remember the trip and something for friends and relatives to read.