Charleston SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Besslb

Guru
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 42'
Hi Ya'll!!* So we are thinking about a cruise to Charleston!* YAY!* We're leaving from Carolina Beach.* We've got a week to do it and get back home.* What should we absolutely not miss along the way or once we get there??

What if we only get as far as Georgetown?

What a great way to start the season, eh?* Need more material for my blog!*
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by Besslb on Tuesday 29th of March 2011 06:26:57 PM

Hi Bess, Spring is a great time to visit Charleston.* I figure that it will take you 2 fairly long days to get down and 2 days back.* If you want to stop at George Town, it is a good stop.* Quaint town.* Watch it when going through the "Rock Pile" at Myrtle Beach.* Don't let anyone push you out of the channel.

Charleston is a great walking and restaurant town.* Walking through the residential areas in the evening is especially nice.* The food can be great.* Justine's for home cookng.* Magnolias for a litle more up scale*

If you iike sausage, stop at Bucksport and pick up some homeade.* It's pretty good.* The Waccama River is one of the prettiest sections of the waterway.* It has some great anchorages.

It should be fun.* Have a great trip.

Ditto on Bucksport Sausages...they are the best!

Once in Charleston - really recommend the Marina at Patriot's Point. The USS Yorktown is amazing to tour and the marina (also nicknamed 'crash landing' because of the current - so timing is important!) is great. When I was there, the shower facilities were a 'guest' key for a suite at the hotel attached to the marina and they had free transport to groceries, downtown, etc. Kewl!

Any tips on Georgetown? Should the weather (or my patience) be against us, I'd be happy just stopping there.

GonzoF1 wrote:
Any tips on Georgetown? Should the weather (or my patience) be against us, I'd be happy just stopping there.
*tom, if the weather is bad, you will need to be close to town.* Harbor Walk Marina will put you in the middle of everything.* It is right on the board walk of the waterfront.* Georgetown Landing Marina is good, but a long walk into town.

Everything in Georgetown is pretty close to the waterfront, so you will be in the middle of it.*

What about the other marinas there? Harbor Walk, according to Active Captain, is the most expensive down there. We will be carrying our bikes and are not afraid to use them, so walking distance is not a requirement. Saving money is.
smile.gif

the boat shed in georgetown is a good stop,not many slips but nice people and you can walk to town, george town landing is all right but the current is strong and you better have a good grip on docking?

Moonstruck wrote:
If you iike sausage, stop at Bucksport and pick up some homeade.* It's pretty good.* The Waccama River is one of the prettiest sections of the waterway.* It has some great anchorages.

I've been to Bucksport and the sausage is good.* The marina hasn't been doing well and has been temporarily closed so call first to see if they are open.

The Waccama River truly is pretty.* A nice side trip is up the section that's not part of the ICW.* It leads to Conway SC, where the city has a small marina and docks on the waterfront with electricity.* We paid $1.00 per foot.* Conway pretty much shuts down on Sundays, and Georgetown isn't much better.

If you want to see Charleston, I suggest more than a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom