Best Time to Head South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Next chapter

Last year in October I bought a Marine trader 43 .
This is not my first boat but it is my first trawler so I'm a bit new at this and coastal cursing . My boat is in Boston and I would like to move to Jacksonville Fl. I'm getting ready to semi retire (30 years owning a business ). My girlfriend and I where thinking about heading south in May on the boat. Our plan was to make the trip in a number of one to two week periods through out the summer . So any advice would be very helpful.

Last year in October I bought a Marine trader 43 .
This is not my first boat but it is my first trawler so I'm a bit new at this and coastal cursing . My boat is in Boston and I would like to move to Jacksonville Fl. I'm getting ready to semi retire (30 years owning a business ). My girlfriend and I where thinking about heading south in May on the boat. Our plan was to make the trip in a number of one to two week periods through out the summer . So any advice would be very helpful.

Since you are already that far North, have you thought of cruising Maine for the summer then head South. Which ever way you go, spending some time in the Chesapeake would be good. I wouldn't worry about heading south from there until Oct. or Nov. Follow the sun.

I will second Don's advice to first cruise Maine. You could leave the first of July and be in Maine in 2-3 days. Then cruise up to Mt Desert Island, leave the boat there and fly back home from Bangor. Then in August, come back and cruise down to Portsmouth and fly home. Then finally start your trip home in September, but stop for a few days in Marthas Vinyard and the Elizabeth Islands on your way south.

Don't miss Maine. It will give you some nice memories for the dog days in Florida.

David

Two pieces of really good advice in posts 2 and 3 above.

Some time knocking around Long Island Sound and a cruise up the Hudson River have to be thrown in there too.

Be South of Norfolk by the 3rd week of October...getting South from there is pretty easy.

If you want the waterway to yourself, leave the Chesapeake in December. We leeft Baltimore one year on Dec. 10th. It was a great, easy run down to St. Augustine. Just have plenty of heat available.

If you want the waterway to yourself, leave the Chesapeake in December. We leeft Baltimore one year on Dec. 10th. It was a great, easy run down to St. Augustine. Just have plenty of heat available.

And water till Morehead City/Beaufort...lot's of marinas have it shut off by then...but I do agree you'll have the waterway to yourself for the most part (I leave Jersey mid-December :D)

The pretty part of the season is still available and most of the traffic is gone if you hit Norfolk in late Oct...the weather is just starting to get dicey...but still tolerable. Heat and water isn't usually an issue that early.

Don't forget to check with your insurance carrier as to when you can pass that line between, as I remember, VA & NC. Most crossing dates seem to be in early November. May be a silly rule, but insurance rules.

By the looks of it your moored in East Boston? I'm a transplanted Bostonian living in Jacksonville. I say Forget the Maine Cruise. You probably have "been there, done that".
I would leave in May and get to Long island sound and cruise/gunkhole for you first leg. Then I would get the boat the Chesapeake and leave it there for as long as practical. Those are cruising grounds that you probably want to spend the most time in while getting south. 3 rd legs, just decide how much you want to break it up in your time blocks and do the ICW for some fun . Or go outside for some quicker miles.
Either way, enjoy the trip and process.....Action,Adventure and Romance on the High Seas!

It will be pretty hot for your trip in the summer and pretty cold in the winter. Most people travel in the spring or fall. Some marinas in the northern portions of your trip may be closed in the winter.

I suggest buying a set of cruising guides for your intended cruising areas and reading them for the best information.

When you get to Jax do the St John's river. All of it... because as you go further it gets better. Green Cove Springs marina is a good place for repairs, and good people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom