Bermuda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Anyone make a trip to Bermuda? We were thinking of making a trip there over the summer on our way to the abaco's. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400252904.046057.jpg

You're kidding right?

No, it's not that bad of a run given weather is nice. I was thinking departing and going on the Course shown on the chart and coming back aiming for Marsh Harbour.

Last edited:
During hurricane season?

True. I was just watching a video on NAR and thought about it, in reality it's not that bad of trip. But you're totally true that would be reckless move to head over there during hurricane season.

You made me think, when is a good time to cross if I had a passagemaker? June to Nov is hurricane season and Dec to May can be cold and nasty. I guess I would go up to NC in May to make the hop as short as possible.

a quick plot shows (strangely) that it is just under 600NM from the Carolina coast and just under 650NM from Miami area. i woulda' thunk' it was the distance from Carolina would have been significantly less.

I'd guess that late March to early June would be the time to go.

I'd hardly call that "on the way" to the Abacos. There are some big time fishing tournaments there all through July, quite a few boats that fish the Big Rock marlin tournament here in NC head over a week or two after, spend July there and then up to NY/NE or back to NC/VA/MD.

It sure is the long way to the Abacos, but what the heck...

In early summer I wouldn't worry too much about hurricanes. You are looking at a 3-4 day transit which is a pretty reliable weather window. You will know way ahead of that if a bad storm is brewing. The bigger risk is if you are in Bermuda when a hurricane comes through, or in the Abacos. But again, in 3-4 days you can be back in Miami and hauled out, worst case.

It sure is the long way to the Abacos, but what the heck...

In early summer I wouldn't worry too much about hurricanes. You are looking at a 3-4 day transit which is a pretty reliable weather window. You will know way ahead of that if a bad storm is brewing. The bigger risk is if you are in Bermuda when a hurricane comes through, or in the Abacos. But again, in 3-4 days you can be back in Miami and hauled out, worst case.

That's what I was thinking. We keep reminding ourselves we own a Nordy and go anywhere we please,because it feels like were still in a dream. I'm sure we would be able to find a window.

Oliver: On a trip like that, what do think your 24 hr average speed and fuel burn rate would be?

I have to see, probably 7.0 give or take .2 knots @~ 5gph.

Were hoping to get some Maretron Fuel monitors put in in the mere future so we can have an exact number.

I have to see, probably 7.0 give or take .2 knots @~ 5gph.

Were hoping to get some Maretron Fuel monitors put in in the mere future so we can have an exact number.

Plus a GPH for the genny.

The route I included in the pic was about 900NM.

You made me think, when is a good time to cross if I had a passagemaker? June to Nov is hurricane season and Dec to May can be cold and nasty.

I'm a bit reluctant to ask but given the above info, when is a good time to make the trip? According to this info all 12 months are crappy options :confused:

I'm a bit reluctant to ask but given the above info, when is a good time to make the trip? According to this info all 12 months are crappy options :confused:

If we do it has to be summer, so if we do we'll find a window.

June and July are not prone to hurricanes that far north, one reason they have the tournaments all month. That's big $$$ in many ways. Heck, once you are in Bermuda, why not just head on over to the Azores, then the Med? There is not a lot of reason to take a boat there otherwise, unless you are in the Newport-Bermuda race (also held in late June) or fishing.

June and July are not prone to hurricanes that far north, one reason they have the tournaments all month. That's big $$$ in many ways. Heck, once you are in Bermuda, why not just head on over to the Azores, then the Med? There is not a lot of reason to take a boat there otherwise, unless you are in the Newport-Bermuda race (also held in late June) or fishing.

Yeah, I see what you mean, why not just hop on over. Not that it would be that hard to accomplish, but we only have the summer due to school.

Last edited:
Leave from Lauderdale and ride the stream.

Thanks. Always nice to see, especially the cruising speed.

Our flat water no current is about 7.4 . What's yours?

Our optimal is 6.8 on flat water, no current, clean bottom and without the paravanes. Sometimes with wind and seas within 20 degrees or so off our heading, we'll slow things down 1/2 a knot or so for comfort. The Krogen design puts the pilot house pretty far forward which doesn't contribute to a comfortable ride in those sea conditions.

Leave from Lauderdale and ride the stream.

Thats what I was going do for the first part. We don't want to run all the way up to NC then cross, we'll just shoot across once the coast is clear. (Little Bahama Bank)

Our optimal is 6.8 on flat water, no current, clean bottom and without the paravanes. Sometimes with wind and seas within 20 degrees or so off our heading, we'll slow things down 1/2 a knot or so for comfort. The Krogen design puts the pilot house pretty far forward which doesn't contribute to a comfortable ride in those sea conditions.

Oh ok, so y'all are a little slower.

Summer trip to Bermuda. Come to the Eastern Caribbean. Not a month goes by that I don't hear a story from someone who went to Bermuda in the summer. Frequently the story is of the most memorable trip of his or her life. Complete with demastings, knockdowns, ruined equipment and other tales of horror.

But then its only a four day trip from North Carolina and four days back. You can get accurate weather forecasts for that, can't you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom