Old 01-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, part of it's the boat you're in, the draft, the speed. We can actually do the outside as fast or faster than the inside plus enjoy it more. For others it's different.
If I'm in a rush to get somewhere, I drive the car. For us, the trip is as important as the destination. The ICW is interesting and scenic. "Outside" is just water. Lots of water.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #22
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
To help save a little money, Downtown Beaufort has a free day dock. The hours are 6:00 am - 12 midnite. Then you can anchor out for the evening. This is what I do when I go to Beaufort. Also, one of my top five restaurants is the Dockside in Port Royal, they have a dock or you can take a cab. One of my other top five is Skull Creek Boathouse in HH, they have a dock as well. Have Fun!

windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:59 PM   #23

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Model: 420DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
To help save a little money, Downtown Beaufort has a free day dock. The hours are 6:00 am - 12 midnite. Then you can anchor out for the evening. This is what I do when I go to Beaufort. Also, one of my top five restaurants is the Dockside in Port Royal, they have a dock or you can take a cab. One of my other top five is Skull Creek Boathouse in HH, they have a dock as well. Have Fun!
That's good to know. Thank you for the tip.
Alex F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #24

City: Mystic
Vessel Name: Outback
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC
We traveled the entire AICW this past fall and are now doing the return trip back to Connecticut. The best cruise of our lives. Lots of great scenery & wildlife Why rush and zip by on the outside, enjoy the ride and smell the roses on the inside. Getting there is half the fun.

Active Captain and Salty Cruiser's Net were excellent resources for getting updated info on the ICW. We draft 5' and have had no problems. Pay attention to the tide levels and try to pass at mid to high tide in the noted shoal areas, and you should be just fine.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #25

I'm debating whether I should take the Ashepoo Coosaw Cutoff or go around via Ashepoo River in order to avoid the trouble shallow spots in the CUT. What you guys think?
Old 03-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Just came through that area...had no issues..like many of these problem spots...either try not to hit them at dead low or just go slow and pick your way...really have never seen less than 5 ft in the channel unless it was an incursion by a sandbar near a creek or inlet.

Commercial traffic goes through with big drafts so as long as you pick your way...going to far out of your way because of your concern I feel is unnecessary. Just slow a bit where there is reported shoaling.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Just came through that area...had no issues..like many of these problem spots...either try not to hit them at dead low or just go slow and pick your way...really have never seen less than 5 ft in the channel unless it was an incursion by a sandbar near a creek or inlet.

Commercial traffic goes through with big drafts so as long as you pick your way...going to far out of your way because of your concern I feel is unnecessary. Just slow a bit where there is reported shoaling.
That's great to hear. I'll check the tides and would be happy to save some time when I can.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F View Post
I'm debating whether I should take the Ashepoo Coosaw Cutoff or go around via Ashepoo River in order to avoid the trouble shallow spots in the CUT. What you guys think?
I've been through there several times without incident. Don't cut corners, stay in the middle of the river, make a 90 degree turn into the cut and do the same on the other side.

If you're still worried, don't do it at low tide. I've had more trouble entering the Coosaw River. There's a dogleg, be sure and follow it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #29
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
As I said...no problems noted...even the tip of the bar on the south approach seemed to be missing..a straight shot and I had 25 feet. The marks On Rock Creek were fine too.

Really didn't see any issues here on the way down and up this year...other places yes...but not here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chart.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	28524  

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote