Old 06-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #81
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Trying to figure out if I can spend a week or 2 in the Bahamas and then a delivery run to the Hudson. See post #75.

Ted
Sorry, didn't see mention of a delivery - thought it was your own bottom.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:15 PM   #82
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Wifey B: Delivery of his own boat on it's own bottom. Delivery run=quick and no sightseeing on the way. Fastest you can get there.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #83
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
No, it's my boat. A delivery run is a term for a quick trip to move a boat to a destination or where you want to start sightseeing. I've been from the Chesapeake to Stuart a dozen times, so moving the boat quickly doesn't mean I'm missing one time opportunities.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:05 PM   #84
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
.... it does concern me that the Bahamian government is willing to overlook your record in pursuit of money....
When I worked on a cruise ship that went to Nassau, Bahamian Customs insisted on 4 cartons of cigaretts and 4 bottles of alchohol or our ship would not clear customs for hours and our passengers would not be allowed to embark.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #85
Guru

City: Boston Area
[QUOTE=RT Firefly;773891]...it was agreed that a sea anchor was deployed from the front (pointy end) to keep a vessel's bow pointed into the wind...

( only because I know RT has a sense of humor....) If your drogue/sea anchor is deployed from the bow, and the motion of the boat is backwards....is the bow still considered the front of the boat ???
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #86

City: St Petersburg
Vessel Name: Knot Fast
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH37
As we will be 1st-time Bahamas cruisers, we are up for a loose flotilla or even just cruising with a couple buddy boats. We are aiming for April-May 2020. Right after HealHustler finishes installing our hydrofoils.
Knot Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #87
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
LOL. My slide rule says it would take a thus-far, undiscovered level of force to lift that beast out of the water! Of course, you probably don’t remember slide rules.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #88
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Not to usurp Menzies authorities as Major Domo but it appears to be a loosely organized route and people can jump in or out at will. Important thing is to have s good safe time.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #89
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Fast View Post
As we will be 1st-time Bahamas cruisers, we are up for a loose flotilla or even just cruising with a couple buddy boats. We are aiming for April-May 2020. Right after HealHustler finishes installing our hydrofoils.
I won't have hydrofoils but that timing works perfectly for us going over next year. Will be looking for another boat to cruise with for the first time trip. With you having the new hydrofoils maybe we could still go together and you could just circle us the entire way?
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #90
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Two is reliable company (probably); a flotilla is just more waiting at customs...

but, maybe you can just hand off all the paperwork and passports to the fastest boat.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #91

City: St Petersburg
Vessel Name: Knot Fast
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH37
What route of ingress and initial cursing area do you Bahama veterans recommend?
West Palm Beach (or other jump off point) to West End, Grand Bahama, then cruise Abaco
or
Miami to Bimini, then cruise Berry Islands and Eleuthera
or
Some thing else?

Seems like there are too many choices, so I'd like to hear what you enjoyed most. Are Abaco and Eleuthera very different cursing experiences?

I plan to arrive at my jump off location ~1Apr and wait for favorable weather to cross. I'll probably try to position for a return crossing by around 20May and again wait patiently for favorable weather to cross. This should give me 4-6 weeks to explore some of the Bahamas. Not looking for a busy itinerary, but rather get to know one area pretty well. Mostly anchor or mooring, with a marina dock for a night or 2 every week. Chill villages and small towns are the aim, with occasional isolated anchorages in nature. I draw 3'.
Knot Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #92
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Bahamas Flotilla

For the first time I think I would choose Abaco for easier cruising, more places to get more supplies, etc.

Leave from the Lake Worth anchorage to Memory Rock then Mangrove, or Great Sale if not too tired to anchor for the night. It took us 16 hours to go from Lake Worth to Great Sale. Left LW 3:30am. Then to GTC the next day was about 50 miles, and check in on GTC at New Plymouth.

After passing Crab Cay it’s all pretty protected water and easy cruising.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #93
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
KF

IMO it all depends what you want to see and then leave for the best point of departure. I agree with cardude, I usually tell friends to do the Abacos first, however I like the Exumas but we like to lay at anchor. To each his own. Last year we spent a week at Great Harbor visiting native friends dating back fifty years ago, I spent many weeks in Little Harbor as a kid. All chains of the Bahamas have something to offer (I stay away from the more populated islands.)
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
For the first time I think I would choose Abaco for easier cruising, more places to get more supplies, etc.

Leave from the Lake Worth anchorage to Memory Rock then Mangrove, or Great Sale if not too tired to anchor for the night. It took us 16 hours to go from Lake Worth to Great Sale. Left LW 3:30am. Then to GTC the next day was about 50 miles, and check in on GTC at New Plymouth.

After passing Crab Cay it’s all pretty protected water and easy cruising.
Being new I am confused. On the above cruise plan, I thought Mangrove was south as in south of Nassau? I assume there is another "Mangrove" being referenced? What is "GTC"?
Old 06-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
Being new I am confused. On the above cruise plan, I thought Mangrove was south as in south of Nassau? I assume there is another "Mangrove" being referenced? What is "GTC"?
Hal, Mangrove Cay is a low lying small cay between Great Sale and West End to the south west (for those wishing to leave of enter the Bahamas Bank from West End or bypassing West End from West Palm or locations south) and White Sand Ridge to the North West (transiting to or from Fort Pierce to/from the Bahama Bank).

It has some shelter from most wind directions except direct Westerlies and Easterlies.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Fast View Post
What route of ingress and initial cursing area do you Bahama veterans recommend?
West Palm Beach (or other jump off point) to West End, Grand Bahama, then cruise Abaco
or
Miami to Bimini, then cruise Berry Islands and Eleuthera
or
Some thing else?

Seems like there are too many choices, so I'd like to hear what you enjoyed most. Are Abaco and Eleuthera very different cursing experiences?

I plan to arrive at my jump off location ~1Apr and wait for favorable weather to cross. I'll probably try to position for a return crossing by around 20May and again wait patiently for favorable weather to cross. This should give me 4-6 weeks to explore some of the Bahamas. Not looking for a busy itinerary, but rather get to know one area pretty well. Mostly anchor or mooring, with a marina dock for a night or 2 every week. Chill villages and small towns are the aim, with occasional isolated anchorages in nature. I draw 3'.
I would recommend you visit Abaco for your first visit. Buy the Dodge Guide and that will see you there, through and back. The Abacos have more facilities for cruisers and less remoteness, but you still get a flavor of the Bahamas - crossing the stream, getting through customs and immigration, discovering the islands for yourself (your way) before crossing back. Most of the time you will have boats withing hailing distance to give you and your crew some comfort.

See my guide here:

Getting Documentation Ready For The Bahamas | AtAnchor.com

On future trips you can go West Palm to Lucaya and then to the Berrys and Exuma. Some much longer cruises to get there and back, and completely different cruising grounds. Then looking further out you can start to drift further south and east to the Far Bahamas - but that is for another thread!
Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Hal, Mangrove Cay is a low lying small cay between Great Sale and West End to the south west (for those wishing to leave of enter the Bahamas Bank from West End or bypassing West End from West Palm or locations south) and White Sand Ridge to the North West (transiting to or from Fort Pierce to/from the Bahama Bank).

It has some shelter from most wind directions except direct Westerlies and Easterlies.
Thanks Menzies. What is the "GTC" mentioned? Green Turtle Cay?
Old 06-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
Thanks Menzies. What is the "GTC" mentioned? Green Turtle Cay?
Yes, Green Turtle.

Between Mangrove and the Sea of Abaco (Abaco Sound) there are a number of beautiful cays and anchorages. Great Sale is a good anchorage, as it Angel/Crab. Then there is Spanish (which is private but has a very good marina and customs check in), then on to GTC. After that you need to be mindful of Whale Cay Channel - which can get really nasty in a NE blow and needs nearly the same respect given to a gulf stream crossing. Once across Whale Cay though you are in cruising grounds where you can find good shelter, and good anchorages regardless of the weather direction.

Again, I would advise anyone going over to Abaco for the first time to get the Dodge Guide.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Again, I would advise anyone going over to Abaco for the first time to get the Dodge Guide.
It was a gift for my wife this past Christmas. Funny how that worked out...
Old 06-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #100
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Mangrove Cay Andros is much more interesting.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote