Bahamas Charts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
Anyone know if NOAA publishes RNC or ENC charts for the Bahamas, specifically the Abacos. I can't seem to find them on NOAA's website.

I would like them for planning purposes.*

Thanks*

timjet wrote:
Anyone know if NOAA publishes RNC or ENC charts for the Bahamas, specifically the Abacos. I can't seem to find them on NOAA's website.

I would like them for planning purposes.*

Thanks*
*Tim, the best charts for the area that you are contemplating are the Explorer Charts of the Near Bahamas.* They have preplotted course lines.* Also, C-Map cartridges use their chart data.* I have found them to very accurate.* Where do you plan to leave from, and when?

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 22nd of September 2011 05:10:53 AM

Moonstruck wrote:* Where do you plan to leave from, and when?

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 22nd of September 2011 05:10:53 AM

*Don, sorry it took so long to reply-been traveling.

Our plans are somewhat tenative, but I have vacation the middle of May. Since we live in Tampa we will cross-over on the Okeechobee waterway and head over from Port St Lucie I guess. Hopefully the waterway will be open, it can get iffy that time of year. *

I have the C-Map NT charts and Garmin charts of the Bahamas, I was hoping for planning purposes I could get NOAA charts.*

I have two main concerns; the quality of diesel fuel and whether I should take a gun.

Your comments?

timjet wrote:
*Don, sorry it took so long to reply-been traveling.

Our plans are somewhat tenative, but I have vacation the middle of May. Since we live in Tampa we will cross-over on the Okeechobee waterway and head over from Port St Lucie I guess. Hopefully the waterway will be open, it can get iffy that time of year. *

I have the C-Map NT charts and Garmin charts of the Bahamas, I was hoping for planning purposes I could get NOAA charts.*

I have two main concerns; the quality of diesel fuel and whether I should take a gun.

Your comments?

*Tim, we plan to be in the Abacos about that time.* We will probably leave from FT. Pierce.* From St. Lucie Inlet, you can take an almost straight shot to Great Sale.* If you haven't done this before, watch the water colors as you approach the Little Bahama Bank.* They are spectacular.

You can clear customs at Spanish, Green Turtle, or Treasure Cays on your way in.* Because we anchor out quite a bit, we carry a weapon.* No problem.* Just declare it and the number of ammunition when you check in.

Diesel fuel is no problem in that area.* It will usually be cheaper in Marsh Harbour.* I would order the book of charts for the near Bahamas from Explorer.* You can go on their website for a short preview of the area.* A link is on the 2010 Bahamas page of our blog.

May is one of the best months to go.* The weather is beautiful and not too hot.* The spring fronts are usually done, and the wind usually switches to the prevailing easterlies.* That is good for crossing the stream.

Thanks Don. A quick look at the Navionics Charts on my cell phone looks like the Ft Pierce inlet is much better maintained and the preferable exit from the intercoastal.*

We have a lot of info to gather before we go and if you don't mind will probably be asking a few questions. As we get closer to departure we'll coordinate dates and perhaps we can hook up. I generally cruise about 19 kts so we'll be lagging behind a bit if we meet up. Hope we can.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom