Bad docking day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you ever noticed that some products have a general, but not universal, divide in political alignment?

Liberals: Toyota Prius, Subaru, Apple-anything, multiple auto bumper stickers

Conservatives: Ford trucks, Android and other non-Apple devices and computers,

That sort of works but....

I am not a liberal but I bought the third Mac sold in Seattle in 1984 (to write my first book on) and still use Macs for everything other than work where we have to use Dells and Windows.

I'm not a conservative but I drive a new Ford pickup. I hate bumper stickers and had the Ford dealer heat-gun off the "4x4" decals on the truck when it came in. I think the Prius is right up there for the ugliest car on the planet award (along with the Leaf) and would never buy one for that reason alone, but I really like Teslas.

I divide computers and operating systems along different lines than political leanings. Creative people use Apple, analytical people use Windows. This is why in virtually every movie and TV show when they show someone using a laptop it's an Apple even if it's a situation where the character would be far more apt to be using a PC.

My wife and I buy what we buy based on its quality and ability to do the best job and, to no small degree, its aesthetics.

I have nothing against PCs but I think the Microsoft Kids are the sloppiest coders on the planet and their notion of an operating system is totally unintuitive. Sure, if you use it enough you learn it, but you can say that about anything. To me, the Apple OS made sense right out of the box and thus allows one to waste far less time trying to figure out how to do something.

To an analytical person, the Windows OS probably fits their mindset better.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Boardwalk Carshow Buick Wildcat.jpg
    Boardwalk Carshow Buick Wildcat.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 63
Arguing over which Windows is better is like arguing over which model Yugo is better....

I was trying to be more...well…tactful, Marin. ;)

Now, back to docking…and not of computers...

Last edited:
Wildcat - The Luxury Muscle Car! :dance:

I dunno.... American "muscle" cars are pretty limp-wristed compared to things like this. 1938 Bugatti Type 57 Atlantic. The last time one of these was sold it went for $40 million....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I dunno.... American "muscle" cars are pretty limp-wristed compared to things like this. 1938 Bugatti Type 57 Atlantic. The last time one of these was sold it went for $40 million....

Got stats on that baby??

I have nothing against PCs but I think the Microsoft Kids are the sloppiest coders on the planet and their notion of an operating system is totally unintuitive. Sure, if you use it enough you learn it, but you can say that about anything. To me, the Apple OS made sense right out of the box and thus allows one to waste far less time trying to figure out how to do something.

To an analytical person, the Windows OS probably fits their mindset better.

I never found Apple products to be intuitive at all... nor do I find Windows any better.

But then I started with VMS, Unix, etc. and didn't need no stinkin' pictures -- that I can't usually interpret until somebody explains them to me -- to type commands. :)

I pretty much gravitated to not giving a flying rat's a$$ what the opsys was, as long as useful user applications existed and worked. And in the early "PC" (including Apple) days, that was a major food fight... with nobody (at the time) bright enough to make word processors and spread sheets and so forth for Unix that were good enough to compete in the market place. That was all 45 years ago or so, of course, so pre-historic (pre-mouse?)...

:)

-Chris

I pretty much gravitated to not giving a flying rat's a$$ what the opsys was, as long as useful user applications existed and worked. And in the early "PC" (including Apple) days, that was a major food fight... with nobody (at the time) bright enough to make word processors and spread sheets and so forth for Unix that were good enough to compete in the market place. That was all 45 years ago or so, of course, so pre-historic (pre-mouse?)...

:)

-Chris

Both Windows and OSX are based on varieties of Unix as is Linux and Android. Almost all internet software is based on the University of California Berkely networking extensions of Unix. Windowing and the mouse actually came out of the Xerox Palo Alto Research Campus (PARC). The advances of 45 years have mostly been in the graphics interfaces between the user and the kernel and the development of additional services such as the web. Cheaper and faster RAM and harddrives along with much faster and more highly integrated CPUs allowed the development of much larger and more sophisticated software. Where we are today in the computer world far exceeds where I thought we would be 45 years ago.

Now if boating software and hardware would just catch up a little....

Oh, puleeeze!

Surely you must have overlooked the 800-HP Cobra Supersnake, one of two ever built by Carrol Shelby. The 485-HP SC Cobra set a 26-year record of going 0 to 100 to 0 in 13.2 seconds. The Supersnake would accelerate so fast from 140 mph drivers were worried about whiplash.

Oh, puleeeze!

Surely you must have overlooked the 800-HP Cobra Supersnake, one of two ever built by Carrol Shelby. The 485-HP SC Cobra set a 26-year record of going 0 to 100 to 0 in 13.2 seconds. The Supersnake would accelerate so fast from 140 mph drivers were worried about whiplash.

from??

IMHO the best looking, handling and performing, not to mention the most practical to drive, iteration of the AC Cobra was the 289.

YOMV

Attachments

• ac cobra 289.jpg
    ac cobra 289.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Correct. Reportedly, the G-forces were brutal when the driver punched it while running at 140 MPH.

YEIKKKS!

148 mph is the top speed factory rating on my Wildcat. Of course, I'm pushing 4K + lbs with only 360 HP / 500 ft lb torque. Wonder what torque that baby turns out?? :facepalm:

IMHO the best looking, handling and performing, not to mention the most practical to drive, iteration of the AC Cobra was the 289.

YOMV

I'll never forget the first time getting under the hood of one and coming to the realization that Carrol Shelby was a hack. They where not shy swinging the cutting torch getting the old motor out of the way. They also wasted no time with a grinder to clean up the cut steel.

Fantastic cars though. A friend recently sold a 289 for $500k. Sigh...

Last edited:
Originally, Ford engine shoehorned into a British AC chassis/body. Best of both worlds.

YOMV

I would respectfully disagree about looks. The 427 was, to me, the epitome of a ballsy American (with Anglo body styling) muscle car.

But from everything I've read about how Cobra's handle, I think you're exactly right. The SuperSnake was actually unsafe and could not handle the outrageous torque produced by the twin Paxton superchargers. Bill Cosby returned the SuperSnake Carrol Shelby built for him after driving it once at speed and being scared sh**less.

The guy who subsequently bought it ran it off a cliff into the Pacific, killing himself and returning us, I suppose to the topic of a "bad docking day." :nonono:

(FWIW, I used to carry a photo of a 427 Cobra in my wallet--where a girlfriend's picture should have been--after seeing one in 1966 at Lennox Square in Atlanta. Driving one is still on my bucket list.)

The Yugo with the full tank of gas is better.

Remembering the old joke about how to double the value of a Yugo; fill it up!

DW-I can remember when I was in HS back in the mid 60's. I lived in Miami and we used to go out to a dragstrip on weekends. They had stock drag races anybody could enter. All the 'Vette guys thought they were pretty hot until about '65 when the first 289 Cobra showed up and routinely blew the 'Vettes away. There were and still are one of the most beautiful cars ever made. I have a friend on San Juan Island with a white '65 with blue stripes. It does not look out of place even today.

From docking to weather to hot rods.....only on TF

Home looks pretty good right now!

AKZ125-270315- WESTERN PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND-
INCLUDING...WHITTIER...SEWARD...GIRDWOOD...MOOSE PASS
440 AM AKDT TUE MAY 26 2015
.TODAY...PARTLY SUNNY. ISOLATED RAIN SHOWERS IN THE
AFTERNOON...MAINLY OVER THE MOUNTAINS. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 50S TO
LOWER 60S. VARIABLE WIND TO 15 MPH.
.TONIGHT...DECREASING CLOUDS. ISOLATED RAIN SHOWERS IN THE
EVENING...MAINLY OVER THE MOUNTAINS. LOWS IN THE UPPER 30S TO MID
40S. VARIABLE WIND TO 15 MPH. NEAR WHITTIER...LIGHT WINDS BECOMING
WEST 10 TO 25 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT.
.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 50S TO MID 60S.
VARIABLE WIND TO 10 MPH. NEAR WHITTIER...WEST WIND 10 TO 25 MPH
BECOMING LIGHT IN THE AFTERNOON.
.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE UPPER 30S TO UPPER
40S. LIGHT WINDS. NEAR WHITTIER...WEST WIND 5 TO 20 MPH.
.THURSDAY...SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 60S TO LOWER 70S. VARIABLE
WIND TO 15 MPH.
.THURSDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE 40S.
.FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. HIGHS IN THE 60S.
LOWS IN THE 40S.
.SUNDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE 60S.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 45 TO 55.
.MONDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE 60S.

&&
TEMPERATURE / PRECIPITATION

SEWARD 55 42 64 / 10 10 0
GIRDWOOD 58 40 61 / 10 10 0

Wifey B: ^%@ *&%&^*%. Those temps don't look good to me. :D

I can't believe you dudes actually run your cars to their top speed. All we know about the top speed of our cars is what the manufacturer and reviewers say. They could be faking us out completely but we don't have needs to run 190+ and such.

I can't believe you dudes actually run your cars to their top speed. All we know about the top speed of our cars is what the manufacturer and reviewers say. They could be faking us out completely but we don't have needs to run 190+ and such.

That's why women--and men who listen to them--tend to live longer. :thumb:

Wifey B: Fast boater here....do you picture me driving a Prius? No thanks. I do drive a car with a name that starts with P. Is that close enough?

Dang!!!
A Packard:thumb:
I haven't seen a running version of one of those in decades:D

OD

YEIKKKS!

148 mph is the top speed factory rating on my Wildcat. Of course, I'm pushing 4K + lbs with only 360 HP / 500 ft lb torque. Wonder what torque that baby turns out?? :facepalm:

Not bad.
My 89 Toyota FJ62 Landcruiser has a "demonstrated" top speed of 97mph on a flat surface with a tail wind, and 4 miles of open road:rofl:
(Of course it has the aerodynamics of a brick and weighs north of 6k by now:D)

And gets a whopping 12 mpg on a good day too:eek:

Meet the Elephant Chaser(minus the for sale sign):

Attachments

• TS_andrea_62_lftside.jpg
    TS_andrea_62_lftside.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 89-62 day at the beach2 2013.jpg
    89-62 day at the beach2 2013.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 72
Wifey B: Actually my man would be less inclined to do so than me.

. . . and my wife would rather storm the beaches than look for a workaround. That's what I meant by ". . . tend to . . ." :)

Not bad.
My 89 Toyota FJ62 Landcruiser has a "demonstrated" top speed of 97mph on a flat surface with a tail wind, and 4 miles of open road:rofl:
(Of course it has the aerodynamics of a brick and weighs north of 6k by now:D)

And gets a whopping 12 mpg on a good day too:eek:

Meet the Elephant Chaser(minus the for sale sign):

Nice looking LC. Lots more uses than my Cat. But, the Cat draws all types of thumbs-up with verbal compliments. And, my grand kids love it; so does wife! Cause it's sooo retro...

I love hitting passing gear leaving the youngsters on hwy or leaving them in the dust at stop lights - in their "fast" cars. Recently had its monstrously powerful engine completely rebuilt by an expert. At idle she purrrrs. Upon heavy acceleration she roars! :dance:

Attachments

• Art's 1967 Wildcat - All Orig - 4-2013 122K Mi.jpg
    Art's 1967 Wildcat - All Orig - 4-2013 122K Mi.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 69
Nice looking LC. Lots more uses than my Cat. But, the Cat draws all types of thumbs-up with verbal compliments. And, my grand kids love it; so does wife! Cause it's sooo retro...

I love hitting passing gear leaving the youngsters on hwy or leaving them in the dust at stop lights - in their "fast" cars. Recently had its monstrously powerful engine completely rebuilt by an expert. At idle she purrrrs. Upon heavy acceleration she roars! :dance:

I hear ya Art. Good looking retro ride man.
Love the old classics. Always neat to watch the faces of the new car crowd when you leave them in your wake lol.

I finally decided to get rid of my modified 87 vette and Z-28, but kept the land cruiser.
My granddaughter loves the old battle Wagon and wants to go everywhere in it.

We're working on it a bit at a time and plan on making it hers when she's old enough.

There are automotive equivalents of docking. The first that comes to my mind is parallel parking. I readily admit to hating it and avoiding it at all cost. I'd rather med moor than parallel park. Then for difficult docking, how about backing a tractor trailer between two walls with just inches on each side.

Back
Top Bottom