Old 05-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #141
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Fast boater here....do you picture me driving a Prius? No thanks. I do drive a car with a name that starts with P. Is that close enough?
Hope it's a Porsche, not a Pontiac.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:23 PM   #142
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Wifey B: I don't think I've ever actually seen a Peugeot in person and only one time saw a Citroen. It was stuck on a curb where it parked. The Peugeot RCZ looks sort of cool. They don't sell either brand in the US do they? This is such an educational site making me look stuff like that up.

Actually my parents had a Pinto, Oliver. It didn't catch on fire and explode or anything. They bought it old and very used. They stopped making those things about when I was born.

Well I was close enough! I thought you liked them Yugos or maybe that was Hubby B.

I've found when owning a boat a pickup truck is best. Note- I don't own a boat.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #143
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Hope it's a Porsche, not a Pontiac.
Wifey B: I still can't believe they killed Pontiac. How can you keep Buick over Pontiac? Buick? Really? Buick? Buick never built excitement. I mean how many Buick models come to mind?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #144
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Wifey B: I still can't believe they killed Pontiac. How can you keep Buick over Pontiac? Buick? Really? Buick? Buick never built excitement. I mean how many Buick models come to mind?
Wildcat - The Luxury Muscle Car!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #145
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Wifey B: At least you didn't say Starfire.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:04 PM   #146
Art
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: At least you didn't say Starfire.
Starfire was a dancer I knew when young!
Old 05-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #147
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Maybe not a lot of excitement, but a few models were kind of elegant in their day . . . like my Dad's Roadmaster.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:43 PM   #148
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: I don't think I've ever actually seen a Peugeot in person and only one time saw a Citroen. It was stuck on a curb where it parked. The Peugeot RCZ looks sort of cool. They don't sell either brand in the US do they?
No Peugeot or Citroen sold in US? You are missing out. The RCZ is cool, so is my Peugeot 508GT. Europe beckons, take a plane, 8 hours for you, at least 22 for us, but we get there most years.
Now what was this thread about? Oh yes....
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #149
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
No Peugeot or Citroen sold in US? .
They stopped in 91. They were only selling like 4,000 and the cost of complying with bumper regulations and crash testing wasn't worth it for that. Renault had already dropped the US. They were also typically the 3rd or 4th or even 5th brand a dealer carried. I did work with a man who owned a Peugeot. He apparently bought it 3 months before they announced they were leaving the market. For some reason he became convinced that it's value would go up. Instead, after the announcement you couldn't sell one. The dealer had some remaining and sold them at huge discounts. I do remember the car rode great but I also remember it being parked for a couple of months waiting for parts. Last I knew he still owned the car.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:23 PM   #150
Guru

Peugeot have been in Australia since 1950, continuously, steady not big sellers, began by competing in 10,000 mile round Australia reliability trials, earned a reputation by beating GM, Ford, and English makes,year after year. Citroen are low volume, Renault here now, have come and gone,(I was in Renault Car Club), they make some amazing hot hatches these days. Car production is ceasing here, volume is uneconomic, but our range of imports is huge.
Oh, and docking. Cars hold position as you set up for a reverse park, unlike boats. But,now on a marina and learning the joys of reverse parking, slow, steady, in gear-out of gear,nibbling away, correcting, adjusting progressing.... glad I didn`t have to learn on FRGs first slip.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:56 PM   #151
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Have you ever noticed that some products have a general, but not universal, divide in political alignment?

Liberals: Toyota Prius, Subaru, Apple-anything, multiple auto bumper stickers

Conservatives: Ford trucks, Android and other non-Apple devices and computers,
That sort of works but....

I am not a liberal but I bought the third Mac sold in Seattle in 1984 (to write my first book on) and still use Macs for everything other than work where we have to use Dells and Windows.

I'm not a conservative but I drive a new Ford pickup. I hate bumper stickers and had the Ford dealer heat-gun off the "4x4" decals on the truck when it came in. I think the Prius is right up there for the ugliest car on the planet award (along with the Leaf) and would never buy one for that reason alone, but I really like Teslas.

I divide computers and operating systems along different lines than political leanings. Creative people use Apple, analytical people use Windows. This is why in virtually every movie and TV show when they show someone using a laptop it's an Apple even if it's a situation where the character would be far more apt to be using a PC.

My wife and I buy what we buy based on its quality and ability to do the best job and, to no small degree, its aesthetics.

I have nothing against PCs but I think the Microsoft Kids are the sloppiest coders on the planet and their notion of an operating system is totally unintuitive. Sure, if you use it enough you learn it, but you can say that about anything. To me, the Apple OS made sense right out of the box and thus allows one to waste far less time trying to figure out how to do something.

To an analytical person, the Windows OS probably fits their mindset better.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #152

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Yup

Quote:
Luxury and Muscle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boardwalk Carshow Buick Wildcat.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	40502  
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #153
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Arguing over which Windows is better is like arguing over which model Yugo is better....
I was trying to be more...well…tactful, Marin.

Now, back to docking…and not of computers...
Old 05-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #154
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
I dunno.... American "muscle" cars are pretty limp-wristed compared to things like this. 1938 Bugatti Type 57 Atlantic. The last time one of these was sold it went for $40 million....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	40509  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #155
Art
Guru

Quote:
I dunno.... American "muscle" cars are pretty limp-wristed compared to things like this. 1938 Bugatti Type 57 Atlantic. The last time one of these was sold it went for $40 million....
Got stats on that baby??
Old 05-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #156
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
I have nothing against PCs but I think the Microsoft Kids are the sloppiest coders on the planet and their notion of an operating system is totally unintuitive. Sure, if you use it enough you learn it, but you can say that about anything. To me, the Apple OS made sense right out of the box and thus allows one to waste far less time trying to figure out how to do something.

To an analytical person, the Windows OS probably fits their mindset better.
I never found Apple products to be intuitive at all... nor do I find Windows any better.

But then I started with VMS, Unix, etc. and didn't need no stinkin' pictures -- that I can't usually interpret until somebody explains them to me -- to type commands.

I pretty much gravitated to not giving a flying rat's a$$ what the opsys was, as long as useful user applications existed and worked. And in the early "PC" (including Apple) days, that was a major food fight... with nobody (at the time) bright enough to make word processors and spread sheets and so forth for Unix that were good enough to compete in the market place. That was all 45 years ago or so, of course, so pre-historic (pre-mouse?)...

-Chris
Old 05-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #157
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I pretty much gravitated to not giving a flying rat's a$$ what the opsys was, as long as useful user applications existed and worked. And in the early "PC" (including Apple) days, that was a major food fight... with nobody (at the time) bright enough to make word processors and spread sheets and so forth for Unix that were good enough to compete in the market place. That was all 45 years ago or so, of course, so pre-historic (pre-mouse?)...

-Chris
Both Windows and OSX are based on varieties of Unix as is Linux and Android. Almost all internet software is based on the University of California Berkely networking extensions of Unix. Windowing and the mouse actually came out of the Xerox Palo Alto Research Campus (PARC). The advances of 45 years have mostly been in the graphics interfaces between the user and the kernel and the development of additional services such as the web. Cheaper and faster RAM and harddrives along with much faster and more highly integrated CPUs allowed the development of much larger and more sophisticated software. Where we are today in the computer world far exceeds where I thought we would be 45 years ago.

Now if boating software and hardware would just catch up a little....
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #158
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Oh, puleeeze!

Surely you must have overlooked the 800-HP Cobra Supersnake, one of two ever built by Carrol Shelby. The 485-HP SC Cobra set a 26-year record of going 0 to 100 to 0 in 13.2 seconds. The Supersnake would accelerate so fast from 140 mph drivers were worried about whiplash.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #159
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Oh, puleeeze!

Surely you must have overlooked the 800-HP Cobra Supersnake, one of two ever built by Carrol Shelby. The 485-HP SC Cobra set a 26-year record of going 0 to 100 to 0 in 13.2 seconds. The Supersnake would accelerate so fast from 140 mph drivers were worried about whiplash.
from??
Old 05-26-2015, 04:47 PM   #160
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
IMHO the best looking, handling and performing, not to mention the most practical to drive, iteration of the AC Cobra was the 289.

YOMV
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ac cobra 289.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	40527