Old 05-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #81
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The weather is acceptable here year-around. That's why we stay here despite a cost of living 40% higher than most everywhere else.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:10 AM   #82
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnuh View Post
Here's more absurd boat docking -at full speed! It's a wonder no one lost a limb in a few of these. Turn the sound down/off as the music isn't worthwhile...
Definitely a macho thing. Definitely not my style. Slow and easy is my thing.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:13 AM   #83
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
In the 80's, nice breezes off the ocean. What more could one ask for?
80s? Christ, that's way too hot. I hate it when it gets over 70. 65 is my idea a really comfortable temperature. I've worked in the Middle East in 120 degree heat in my job --- I didn't like it but I can deal with it. But after living in Hawaii all those years, 80 degrees is no longer acceptable. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

That's why for me the US stops at the southern Oregon border and the east bank of the Mississippi. Besides finding what''s outside that rectangle being boring based on what I've seen of it (other than Maine which is great), it's simply too damn hot.

I was hoping as a little kid back in the 60s that global cooling was going to continue to be all the rage. I would have really liked that. Global warming no so much, other than if it warms up enough it will create a whole bunch of new places to go boating and seaplane flying. So that will be nice.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:18 AM   #84
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The weather is acceptable here year-around. That's why we stay here despite a cost of living 40% higher than most everywhere else.
Wifey B: It's 55 degrees where you are right now....not acceptable.

I just looked it up. It went down to 36 degrees there in January. And from Nov 11 til the End of Jan never once reached 70 degrees. Sure not bikini weather..

It's what you're use to, but I'd be like freezing in that kind of weather after living here or wearing tons of clothing and all these layers like I did last year in Washington and Alaska and thats ok for a change, but not all the time. Today was bikini and tshirt and shorts all day. That's my climate.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #85
Master and Commander

Sixty-degrees is a good temperature while walking, especially without direct sunlight. If there is a good breeze, somewhat higher is OK. Beyond a low-humidity 88 degrees, even sitting in the shade is intolerable. If living in 90-degree, 90-percent humidity, I'd be dead within a month.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:23 AM   #86
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
As we all know but sometimes fail to mention, there's a world of difference between 80* with 75-100% humidity (feels like 100*+) and 80* with 35-50% humidity. I just returned from Florida with 72-77% humidity and low 80* days. It was miserable compared to our CA Delta. By noon, I couldn't wait to get off the water or into air conditioning. The temp swing from low to high throughout the day was less than 10*.

The beauty of having my boat on the line between the Delta and the Bay is that I can turn east and enjoy the warmer and drier air and fresh waters of the Delta or I can turn west and enjoy the cooler and moister air and salt waters of the San Francisco Bay. I like having choices!!

I don't have AC on my boat and don't miss it. During the warm months of summer, we might hit 100* during the day, but it cools off by about 30* during the night. AC is never needed at night here but I wouldn't be without it in the more warm and humid climates.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:30 AM   #87
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
As we all know but sometimes fail to mention, there's a world of difference between 80* with 75-100% humidity (feels like 100*+) and 80* with 35-50% humidity. I just returned from Florida with 72-77% humidity and low 80* days. It was miserable compared to our CA Delta. By noon, I couldn't wait to get off the water or into air conditioning.

The beauty of having my boat on the line between the Delta and the Bay is that I can turn east and enjoy the warmer and drier air and fresh waters of the Delta or I can turn west and enjoy the cooler and moister air and salt waters of the San Francisco Bay. I like having choices!!

I don't have AC on my boat and don't miss it. I wouldn't be without it in the more warm and humid climates.
Wifey B: And we love....love love love....the humidity. Hubby's allergies don't act up. We really feel the dryness when we go somewhere in winter and have heated low humidity indoor air. The other thing is skin. The humidity is soooooooooooo good for your skin, but then when you go to dry areas you need lotion. The salt air is good for sinuses and skin. It's amazing how the body adapts to the climate. 6 months somewhere and it's like your body forgot the past. We had cold in NC and were ok with it. But now we're spoiled.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:10 AM   #88
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I tend to be with Marin here, having lived in NZ for my first half life, and now here in Queensland, Australia for the last 26 yrs, I find the heat/humidity here a bit trying, and actually look forward to the non-summer 9 months. Here now in Brisbane our wee weather station is saying it's 22C (71.6F) inside, and 15C (59F) outside. You can sleep better for a start. Typical winter temps are 5-10C (41-50F), overnight, rising to 20-22C (68-71F), in the day. Love it.

By the way, for those interested, the shortcut for the superscript for degrees, is achieved by using alt key & 248 in Windows, and option key & numeral 0, in Macs.
I find it helpful, as I use it a lot I guess. Certainly quicker than typing degrees in full, fore sure.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:38 AM   #89
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
But now we're spoiled.
I'm not surprised. Meat left out in the heat doesn't take long to spoil in my observation.

In that same vein, when I see current photos of people I used to work with in Hawaii when we were all in our late teens and twenties but who stayed in Hawaii, they look like a very old saddle. Humidity or no, their skin looks like dry leather.

On the other hand, I meet people who have lived their whole lives here in the PNW and at the same age, they look years if not decades younger than those Hawaii folks. I'm talking Caucasians here. Asians tend to age much better in appearance that haoles do, even in Hawaii.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:56 AM   #90
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I'll continue the thread drift….

I like a variety in weather. Adelaide has a great summer. Usually hot & dry. Winters are coolish & wet. (Similar weather to southern Mediteranean countries.)

But I do miss having colder winters with snow.

My least favourite weather is just above freezing temperatures, wet and windy.

My favourite weather is just below freezing, perfectly calm, with giant snowflakes floating down like feathers.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #91

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
I agree the WX here in FL is great. Coming from Dallas where it hits 105F or higher in summer, it tickles me to hear the weatherman say that we almost set a record here with 90F

Add to that the over 150 tornadoes the last few wks there in TX and the tornado alley? No thanks. I'm staying right here. 😘
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #92
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Come to Maine for great spring weather! Why did we bust our humps putting the boat in early?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snow.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	40412  
Old 05-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #93
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Back to the thread title....

A bad docking day is when you pull in and you have a "planned length of stay".

I switched my autopilot circuitry to follow air temp 70 degrees, water temp 80 degrees, partly cloudy, 10 knots of wind or less. It is also programmed to pull into any slip hands off and report any boat system malfunctions via the screen.

It will alert me 24 hrs prior to any programmed changes so I can get a jump on them.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #94
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

Mark - GREAT photo collection!

I finally reached the end.... hope others punch up the photo and follow through - Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #95
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ps. I REALLY want some of that stuff YOU'RE smoking!

Old 05-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #96
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
I agree the WX here in FL is great. Coming from Dallas where it hits 105F or higher in summer, it tickles me to hear the weatherman say that we almost set a record here with 90F

Add to that the over 150 tornadoes the last few wks there in TX and the tornado alley? No thanks. I'm staying right here. ��
I'm with Padre'!
Native Floridian here, so I'm pretty much acclimated to the wx

Traveled around though, and IMHO, every place has it's advantages and disadvantages as it pertains to weather.

Just a matter of what one likes.
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #97
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
For boating, I enjoy a calm morning to get out of the berth and through the lock, with the winds then picking up to 15-20 knots for a nice sail, before calming down as I drop the sails and pull back into the lock.

Sometimes its the opposite. But I still enjoy it.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #98
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I tend to be with Marin here, having lived in NZ for my first half life, and now here in Queensland, Australia for the last 26 yrs, I find the heat/humidity here a bit trying, and actually look forward to the non-summer 9 months. Here now in Brisbane our wee weather station is saying it's 22C (71.6F) inside, and 15C (59F) outside. You can sleep better for a start. Typical winter temps are 5-10C (41-50F), overnight, rising to 20-22C (68-71F), in the day. Love it.

By the way, for those interested, the shortcut for the superscript for degrees, is achieved by using alt key & 248 in Windows, and option key & numeral 0, in Macs.
I find it helpful, as I use it a lot I guess. Certainly quicker than typing degrees in full, fore sure.
Thanks, I did not know that.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #99
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Thanks, I did not know that.
Me neither. Tried it but didn't work til I found you have to use the numeric keypad. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #100
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
75 - Cool! err perfect!!

Art is online now   Reply With Quote