Old 05-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #61
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
Wow. So many posts. How cool! Let me answer couple of main questions or topics:

1) how I currently get out: I back straight out along walkway. There are no cleats out there in the middle to tie a spring line so, once my bow clears last wood post I give her port rev. Eng only and use the walkway as a spring. My swim platform is plastic and it hits walkway on the foam. Once my bow swings out enough I and a little fwd starboard eng to get boat straight. Then it is a little this and a little that to try and get straight down the fairway.
If I were you, once the boat was back far enough that you had 3 or more feet of clearance between the bow and the piling, I would put port in forward and starboard in reverse, swinging the stern to port and the bow to starboard -- with a fender held between the bow and the dock. That way you you will have better leverage against the dock than you have using your swim platform (which is probably not built to handle that load and certainly has less leverage).

MYTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #62

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Someone tell me it's ok! Pretty freaked out right now. Only had the boat a month and only driven her 4 times. My ego sure took a hit today cause the last time went so well. Ugh!!![/QUOTE]

It's ok and then some. Each boat's a different story and until you have had your boat in every conceivable situation---like that's ever gonna happen--you won't have all the answers. My only advice is that when I am docking or departing, I always try to have an "out" plan--one last move I know I can make if things turn odd--it's weird, but that approach usually tells me a lot about how to approach it in the first place.

But it's all good and you're not alone.
Poach

Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #63
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
If I were you, once the boat was back far enough that you had 3 or more feet of clearance between the bow and the piling, I would put port in forward and starboard in reverse, swinging the stern to port and the bow to starboard -- with a fender held between the bow and the dock. That way you you will have better leverage against the dock than you have using your swim platform (which is probably not built to handle that load and certainly has less leverage).
This is how we almost always leave a dock with open water on one side. We add the element of a line from the bow to the dock, around a cleat or bullrail, and back to the boat where it is held by the person not driving, who is also holding a big fender between the bow and the dock.. The driver puts the rudders hard over into the dock, the dockside prop in reverse and the outboard prop in forward.

The combined prop walk of both props turning in the same direction and the outboard propwash against its rudder move the stern out very quickly. The line to the dock keeps the boat from moving forward or aft, and the fender keeps the side of the bow off the dock. If we're doing this against a strong wind we simply use more power, particularly on the outboard engine.

We pivot the boat out at least 45 degrees or even more if it's windy and there's a boat on the dock behind us. When the boat is angled out the way we want it, the rudders are centered, the dockside transmission goes to neutral and then reverse, the person on the bow lets the bitter end of the bow line go and pulls the line back around the cleat or bullrail and onto the boat as the boat backs smartly away from the dock.

Depending on the direction we want to depart the area we either continue backing the boat in a turn until we're headed parallel to the dock or we continue backing out at an angle until we're far enough out to engage forward and turn away from the dock in that direction.

This has become our standard method of departure from a dock unless the wind simply pushes us off it.. No pushing the boat out from the dock, no putting the swimstep against the dock, no assistance from the dock needed at all.

PS--- This technique is much easier to do than it is to describe.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:15 PM   #64
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
FRG, just coincidentally, today I've been reviewing docking maneuvers described in three books that I use as textbooks when teaching: Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship, Powerboat Handling Illustrated, and 7 Steps to Successful Boat Docking. The first two cover a broader range of topics, while the last really focuses on docking (as the name implies).

Anyway, you might find those (or similar books) useful for learning/understanding the theory behind various maneuvers, techniques, methods.

I usually let a student pick whichever for the text, but then I expect students to read specific (i.e., assigned) material in advance and I ask them to develop questions in advance -- based on their reading -- that we'll discuss when we get to the practical portion.

As Marin mentions, many techniques are more difficult to describe than they are to do. The pictures help.

-Chris
Old 05-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #65

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Good news! Spoke to Dock Master this morning. He is going to move us to an end outside dock right on the turning basin. The Admiral and I couldn't be happier.
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #66
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Dear Friar George

Praise God... err praise the Dock Master... err praise you for having balls to push for a better slip!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Dear Friar George

Praise God... err praise the Dock Master... err praise you for having balls to push for a better slip!

Hehe. Well, I was told how to work with this DM. You go in his office and crawl in his pocket until he gets up and does what you want him to do. Seems to work. 😜
Old 05-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #68
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Hehe...You go in his office and crawl in his pocket until he gets up and does what you want him to do. Seems to work. 😜

.....I'm gonna pass on this one padre

Glad you got moved.
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #69
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Good news! Spoke to Dock Master this morning. He is going to move us to an end outside dock right on the turning basin. The Admiral and I couldn't be happier.
That tells your right there it was the correct move. All the you can, one could, here's how, it's easy, it's impossible doesn't really matter. The fact that you're happier and will feel better about the next time you use the boat is what's important. The goal is "happy."
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #70
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
A bottle of the "good stuff" to the local harbourmaster or wharfinger at Christmas is a inexpensive investment.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #71
RNL

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Rob n' Lee
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42' #192
That acknowledgment of gratitude to the HM is perhaps the wisest of the many wise recommendations given. Well done!

Glen
RNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #72
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I'm thinking RNL is a harbourmaster...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:00 PM   #73
RNL

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Rob n' Lee
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42' #192
Not me, but I did get the HM in Sitka to assign me a different slip back in '98 and I've been mighty grateful to this day.
RNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:08 AM   #74
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
FRG,

You did a great job! Remember when docking: "Go as fast as you want to hit the dock!" You will get better but remember practice practice.....
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:10 AM   #75
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I've been where you are now and it isn't fun! My suggestion is to change the venue...get another slip which should result in you gaining some confidence again.
How about that!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:48 AM   #76
Veteran Member

City: Beijing, PRC
Here's more absurd boat docking -at full speed! It's a wonder no one lost a limb in a few of these. Turn the sound down/off as the music isn't worthwhile...
Dubnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #77

City: hollywood
George

I was also in the same situation at the marina.
Hopefully some of the snowbirds will be leaving soon and open up some slips.

Steve
stevefon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:02 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefon View Post
George

I was also in the same situation at the marina.

Hopefully some of the snowbirds will be leaving soon and open up some slips.

Steve

They are mostly gone here. Unfortunately they left their boats! 😁
Old 05-22-2015, 10:58 PM   #79
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
So, the weather is already intolerable there?
Old 05-22-2015, 11:48 PM   #80
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
So, the weather is already intolerable there?
Wifey B: The weather is never intolerable in Paradise....

In the 80's, nice breezes off the ocean. What more could one ask for?

Although at the moment, we're in the Bahamas where the weather is also perfect.

Snowbirds come here because in the winter the weather gets intolerable where they live.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote