Old 10-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Kent Narrows, MD
Vessel Name: Doctail
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa 42
Potomac River to DC

We took a beautiful 10 day fall cruise up the Potomac to D.C. Even tho' I grew up in the DC area the journey was through unknown territory from Kent Narrows. Our itinerary was Solomon's, Colonial Beach, VA, Gangplank Marina in downtown DC, Old Town Alexandria and then back down. We had some engine problems on the way home and it redirected our plans but it is true that you never know where life will take you. We stopped for repairs in a place called Cobb Island, MD, a place so friendly you can't imagine. Our stay at Shymansky's restaurant and marina was full of good food, great friendship, good mechanical support from a young man named Chappy. We honestly hated to get on our way. Last stop was Chesapeake Beach, Md, another unexpected pleasure. Sometimes the best plans are the ones you don't make.
Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I too grew up just outside of Washington DC but I've retired and moved to SC. I'm considering a trip in the future that would take us around the Chesapeake Bay and of course, the Potomac would be a great side trip.

As I recall, Washington, DC requires you to have a certificate of completion of a safe boating class in your posession when boating in DC waters even if you and your boat are from another area.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Ruthless, you are in such a rich cruising area. There is something good just up almost any river or creek, and there are many. Any place on the Washington Channel is good to stay. In '7 we stayed at the Capital Yacht Club for a month. It was in walking and biking distance to everything. Just don't go into Aqua-Land Marina on the Potomac near the US301 bridge. The only really bad place in the Bay area that we have ever pulled into.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
...... Just don't go into Aqua-Land Marina on the Potomac near the US301 bridge. The only really bad place in the Bay area that we have ever pulled into.

That's too funny!

My wife and I are from MD. About 30 years ago we had no boat but had a van camper and were looking for a place to spend the week near the water. Looking in a camping guide, we found Aqua-Land Marina and campground so we made plans to go there for a week.

As we pulled in off RT 301 it didn't look that great but the closer we got the worse it looked. We checked out the waterside campsites and there was an oil film on the water. They advertised a swimming pool. I asked and the manager said, "Well you get in your car and go back north on Rt 301 for a 1/4 mile, turn left into the community and tell them you're staying here and they will let you into the pool."

We thought about if for a minute or two and decided we could hardly do worse so we got back into the camper and continued south across the bridge to Colonial Beach where we found a great campground right on the water with it's own pier where we could crab for our dinner.

It's a small world!
Old 10-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It's a small world!
Yes it is. We just pulled in to pick up 100 gal of fuel. Their service and attitude were in keeping with the dump of facility. I never miss a chance to steer people away from there.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Yes it is. We just pulled in to pick up 100 gal of fuel. Their service and attitude were in keeping with the dump of facility. I never miss a chance to steer people away from there.
It's surprising that the've have stayed the same for over 30 years and remained in business.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It's surprising that the've have stayed the same for over 30 years and remained in business.
That's a mystery to me too. The only reason we stopped there is because a planned fuel stop at James Creek Marina on the Anacostia River didn't work out. They were getting a load of diesel, and I don't like to pump diesel from stirred up tanks. So we found this place, and made an ill fated fuel stop. Never again. Where their customers come from, I have no idea.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
I was in there back in October and they had a nice boat wrecking buisness going. Lots of wood and old fg cruiser being broke up. Larry
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
It would be helpful if you guys posted those marina comments over on www.activecaptain.com, if you haven't already.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote