Old 10-31-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Annapolis in the Summer?

So, Bess and I are considering spending a couple of months next summer (Aug. & Sept. maybe?) in Annapolis. It gets her closer to her clients and away from some of the NC hurricane threats at the height of the season. It will also give us a chance to stretch out our view from our normal safe place in Eastern NC, which is pretty much the only place we have ever boated.

I am starting to nose around AC and Waterway Guide looking at potential marinas. They look pretty expensive, and while we are not completely without regard to costs, spending $2500 per month is a little unnerving. ($1.50/ft./month + $18/day for 50A power at the Annapolis Yacht Basin)

Any advice on where to stay, what to do, and what rates we should expect?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
You should expect $3 a foot anywhere near town, less by the month. It IS Annapolis after all.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
You should expect $3 a foot anywhere near town.
Monthly?
It's looking like a few are $20-$25/ft. monthly. We can probably stomach that.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
How far from Annapolis would you be willing to keep the boat?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted
I wouldn't know how to answer that. We have never been and know zilch about the area.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:38 PM   #6
Dwk

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted
Ted beat me to the same question. How far?
Dwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
The Eastport section of Annapolis is a mile or so from the historic part of Annapolis, but the marinas are much cheaper. Port Annapolis and Bert Jabins are the two in that area on the south shore of Back Creek. You can get from there to the historic part by water taxi or with your own dinghy and tie up at Ego Alley.

Other places, in order of increasing distance but decreasing price, are the South River, Galesville and Deale. These are probably too far for dinghy access to the historic area if you don't have a car. Look them up at: https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/Map

Finally, September is a lot nicer than August and October is even better.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
I wouldn't know how to answer that. We have never been and know zilch about the area.
Ok, there is Annapolis proper. Then there are rivers to the North and South (Severn river to the north and the South River to the south). Rates should meaningfully drop by moving out of Annapolis itself. Then you can cross the bay to Kent Island. Lots of marinas there. The bridge has a toll and a traffic jam every Friday afternoon / evening as the masses head to Ocean city for the weekend. Otherwise, 30 to 45 minutes from Kent Island to downtown Annapolis.

As a side note, make sure you understand the Maryland visitation time limit before they want to tax your boat.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
I am starting to nose around AC and Waterway Guide looking at potential marinas. They look pretty expensive, and while we are not completely without regard to costs, spending $2500 per month is a little unnerving. ($1.50/ft./month + $18/day for 50A power at the Annapolis Yacht Basin)

Annapolis Yacht Basin -- the high-priced spread -- shares real estate with the Annapolis Yacht Club, and their central location is what causes those prices. And it's a very decent marina although no pool unless you haveYacht Club privileges.

The Annapolis city dock rate isn't wonderful, but it's so central you might check that out. The management function was just taken over by Oasis Marinas, and I'm not familiar with whatever other changes they've made... other than that you can now reserve ate least some spots in advance. That said, the city dock can be fun for a weekend -- as long as too many tourists don't try to board your boat -- but after that you might find it can get a little old.

The Annapolis City Marina, still on Spa Creek but on the Eastport side, and not to be confused with the city docks, could be an option if you waant to be that close and if their rates are OK (dunno).... but then again, they haven't had free space for a boat our size for a long time...

Marinas on Back Creek are a bit quieter. Annapolis Landing, Port Annapolis, Bert Jabins, Horn Point, Eastport Yacht Center, Mears, another small one I think, are maybe "more" affordable, but still won't be cheap.

Not much I can think of useful on the Severn River to the north except for maybe up Mill Creek or Whitehall Bay, but there are several places on the South River, including our marina... but this means needing a car, so I won't bother to say much about those unless you'll be land-mobile while you're here. Ditto further south on the West River/Rhode River/Galesville and Deale, or across the Bay at Bay Bridge Marina.

You could consider a brief time at one of the places on Spa Creek just as you arrive and maybe again toward departure... but then spending the bulk of your time at monthly rates at one of the other places (Back Creek, etc.).

I'm local here, and happy to kibitz further if that'll help.

-Chris
Old 10-31-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Thanks all for the information so far! Most of my work would be in the Herndon, Chantilly, Reston VA area or Columbia MD (I know all about the traffic ), when not working remotely. Annapolis doesn't necessarily need to be the spot. We were just thinking about staging the boat somewhere so we could cruise the Chesapeake on weekends. I know the Potomac would be closer to work...but would like to look at options on the Chesapeake.

Thanks again!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:32 PM   #11
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
Thanks all for the information so far! Most of my work would be in the Herndon, Chantilly, Reston VA area or Columbia MD (I know all about the traffic ), when not working remotely. Annapolis doesn't necessarily need to be the spot. We were just thinking about staging the boat somewhere so we could cruise the Chesapeake on weekends. I know the Potomac would be closer to work...but would like to look at options on the Chesapeake.

Thanks again!
Consider Southern Anne Arundel County as well, the drive between there and Northern VA is typically easier than Annapolis, especially during the summer when route 50 has a lot of traffic going to the bay bridge. The Deale/Herring Bay area is very popular for northern Virginia boaters. You are about an 1 hour by boat from Annapolis and in a very central area of the bay but access via roads is much easier (assuming you are bringing a car up).
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:33 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:

Thanks again!
Right... What she said.

If we opt for this, we will, for sure, have a car there. She will probably need to drive to Herndon a fair amount and we wouldn't want to hobble ourselves by only being able to do things walking distance from the boat for two full months. We might even have to drive home once or twice. So if there are good quality places that are a few miles outside of town, they will certainly be an option.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:37 PM   #13
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
It may be useful to have a picture of your boat in your email signature so when you start corresponding with potential marinas, they get a somewhat subtle impression that you have your act together and are not living on an old derelict hulk.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:42 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
Consider Southern Anne Arundel County as well, the drive between there and Northern VA is typically easier than Annapolis, especially during the summer when route 50 has a lot of traffic going to the bay bridge. The Deale/Herring Bay area is very popular for northern Virginia boaters. You are about an 1 hour by boat from Annapolis and in a very central area of the bay but access via roads is much easier (assuming you are bringing a car up).
Hey! Now THAT place looks pretty cool. Thanks!
My only question is... How far is the nearest... well... ANYTHING? It looks really remote. Where do you get groceries and beer?
Old 10-31-2019, 03:15 PM   #15
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Consider Hartge Yacht Harbor on the West Rivervin Galesville. Five miles to big grocery stores, hardware, restaraunts. Twenty minutes to downtown Annapolis. This winter will be our third living aboard full time.
Quote:
Hey! Now THAT place looks pretty cool. Thanks!
My only question is... How far is the nearest... well... ANYTHING? It looks really remote. Where do you get groceries and beer?
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:52 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: If I'm going to visit Annapolis, I want to be in Annapolis and that to me means Annapolis Yacht Basin. Make the reservation early and for an extended period and negotiate.

So much access to everything. We also love going out on a sailboat at some time while there.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:55 PM   #17
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
The Eastport section of Annapolis is a mile or so from the historic part of Annapolis, but the marinas are much cheaper. Port Annapolis and Bert Jabins are the two in that area on the south shore of Back Creek. You can get from there to the historic part by water taxi or with your own dinghy and tie up at Ego Alley.

Other places, in order of increasing distance but decreasing price, are the South River, Galesville and Deale. These are probably too far for dinghy access to the historic area if you don't have a car. Look them up at: https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/Map

Finally, September is a lot nicer than August and October is even better.

David
Jabins is an industrial lot. It's lacking in any sort of amenities. It's also around the south side of Back Creek, it's not at all walkable to... anywhere.

Port Annapolis and Annapolis Landing are also on that side of the creek, but have better amenities.

Mears is on the north side of back creek and is where we keep our boat. There are cheaper slips (like EVERYWHERE else is less expensive) but the amenities are nice (big pool, cafe during Summer, tennis/pickleball courts, etc). It's a short walk over the Spa Creek bridge to downtown Annapolis.

AMCYC was where we kept our old boat for 12 years. It's on the end of Eastport and is about the same walking distance to downtown Annapolis. It has a nice pool and bath house facilities, no cafe.

We have friends that keep their boats at Herrington Harbor (both their north and south marinas) and they seem happy with there. We've taken out boats there overnight and had a nice time. They're much less expensive than in Annapolis, but they're 30 minutes farther south on the water at 20kts. Drive time on the road is about 20-30 to Annapolis and probably 50-75 minutes to Herndon or Columbia (but this is always HIGHLY dependent on traffic conditions).

Bring up Google Maps on your PC. Find your client locations and check travel time to them from the various marinas. You'll find most are probably about the same, time-wise.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:36 PM   #18
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
I want the time back that I spent on the drive between Annapolis and Reston. It looks a lot better on paper than it does from the ground.

Hot damp summers and cold damp winters. All in all, it was a great area way back when. Awfully crowded now, but a lot of great people.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #19
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:

Ah. OK, more options, then.

Commute to Herndon/Reston would be easier from Deale. It would suck, but still easier than from other starting locations. Herrington Harbor North is a really great marina, but then Deale is a small town. Not isolated, though; you can get to other small towns (Galesville, Shady Side, etc.) easily enough or up to Edgewater/Annapolis.

Commute from Galesville (Hartge's, for example) wouldn't be great for either Herndon/Reston or Columbia... but maybe it'd be about equally ungreat so maybe a choice for that reason.

Commute to Columbia would be easier from Annapolis/Edgewater area. And given you don't need to be in downtown Annapolis, that opens up several marina options on the South River. Liberty or the others near there would be the fastest commute location, partly due to faster highway access and partly because you'd be able to miss much of the Annapolis traffic. Or Holiday Point/Anchor Yacht Basin near the river mouth in Selby Bay aren't too bad, though further away. (No other stand-out amenities at the latter two, though.)

Commute from the Potomac to Columbia would suck. Driving from Herndon/Reston to Columbia very often would also suck.

If you have some choice in the work location, Columbia would be easier to get into and out of. Traffic is only bad there, now, compared to horrible on northern Virginia.

-Chris
Old 11-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #20
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Ah. OK, more options, then.

Commute to Herndon/Reston would be easier from Deale. It would suck, but still easier than from other starting locations. Herrington Harbor North is a really great marina, but then Deale is a small town. Not isolated, though; you can get to other small towns (Galesville, Shady Side, etc.) easily enough or up to Edgewater/Annapolis.

Commute from Galesville (Hartge's, for example) wouldn't be great for either Herndon/Reston or Columbia... but maybe it'd be about equally ungreat so maybe a choice for that reason.

Commute to Columbia would be easier from Annapolis/Edgewater area. And given you don't need to be in downtown Annapolis, that opens up several marina options on the South River. Liberty or the others near there would be the fastest commute location, partly due to faster highway access and partly because you'd be able to miss much of the Annapolis traffic. Or Holiday Point/Anchor Yacht Basin near the river mouth in Selby Bay aren't too bad, though further away. (No other stand-out amenities at the latter two, though.)

Commute from the Potomac to Columbia would suck. Driving from Herndon/Reston to Columbia very often would also suck.

If you have some choice in the work location, Columbia would be easier to get into and out of. Traffic is only bad there, now, compared to horrible on northern Virginia.

-Chris
Chris is spot-on with these observations.

The next question, once you find an area, is what sort of marina is it you want? Just a cheap parking lot for your boat or more? Pool, cafe, yacht club, etc.