Annapolis in the Summer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live nearby to Annapolis. Pathetic tourist trap? Hardly. There is much to enjoy in Annapolis. If you don't like the touristy stores that are just a part of the local scene, just walk on by.
When I was incarcerated for four years at Canoe U in the late 60's, there was a fantastic, decrepit, working fish market at the end of the city docks on Spa Creek. Midshipmen who had the means would slip one of the fishermen or local barflies a few bucks to go into one of the dives that surrounded the square to buy them a pint of booze. Annapolis had character in those days. And then the monied gentry moved in with their big bank accounts and yachts. Now it's a pathetic tourist trap. Solomon Island for my money.

Thanks again everyone. A few things to add and ask.

What is availability of marinas in downtown and Eastport in Aug. and Sept? We are looking at Mears, but they did not reply to Bess’ email, so there is that. But since a lot of snowbirds spend the summer in the bay, is Annapolis hard to find openings or is there enough to meet the demand?

We are unlikely to anchor for any length of time. Our dog isn’t a huge fan of boating, so getting to shore to pee and Frisbee is going to limit our freedom from marinas. And for the record, we are okay with that. That also solves the air conditioning issues. We have a 9kw genset for the times we do venture out.

So it is more likely that we will base in one marina and marina-hop around the area, seeing the towns in the area that we can. We scoot at about 18kts so we will have some range.

I do want to reiterate that Bess may only have to get to Herndon a few times over the course of a couple of months, so she can time traffic to less congested periods... both ways I presume. It won’t be an up and back the same day. Moreover, she is far more patient than I behind the wheel.

We appreciate everything so far... it has helped us out a lot.

What is availability of marinas in downtown and Eastport in Aug. and Sept? We are looking at Mears, but they did not reply to Bess’ email, so there is that. But since a lot of snowbirds spend the summer in the bay, is Annapolis hard to find openings or is there enough to meet the demand?

Hard to say. Mears may not have answered because they just can't tell, yet. And others may be equally slow, if they don't yet know what slips they might have available. I think Annapolis Landing (for example) only has 4 transient slips, anyway. Or sometimes, none.

Maybe call instead of e-mail...

-Chris

Hard to say. Mears may not have answered because they just can't tell, yet. And others may be equally slow, if they don't yet know what slips they might have available. I think Annapolis Landing (for example) only has 4 transient slips, anyway. Or sometimes, none.

Maybe call instead of e-mail...

-Chris

I am going to start calling this week! Already started mapping out the trip up! :dance:

I am going to start calling this week! Already started mapping out the trip up! :dance:

We're just coming through your neck of the woods. Conceptually, from our direction, it's been Brown Ale (Legend Brewery in Portsmouth), prime rib (Coinjock), fried chicken (Alligator River Marina)... :)

But we'll probably stay in a different place (from previous trips) in Belhaven and Oriental this time.

-Chris

Annapolis in the Summer

Tom B.

As a fellow North Carolinian, I would suggest looking for marinas to the South of Annapolis, namely along the South or West Rivers, or in Tracey's Landing.

I currently keep my GB 36' at Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville, MD (West River, 25 minute non-rush hour drive time to downtown Annapolis). Herrington Harbor North is in Tracey's Landing. I do not know specific marinas on the South River.

The benefit of being to the South is that you avoid some of the heavy Washington traffic to get to your boat. My route to Galesville from NC is I-81N to I-66E to I-495E to exit 11A. Also, from Reston to Galesville, not at rush hour, is 75 minutes via I-495 to exit 11A.

As a former Long Islander, the Chesapeake Bay is a spectacular cruising area.

We're just coming through your neck of the woods. Conceptually, from our direction, it's been Brown Ale (Legend Brewery in Portsmouth), prime rib (Coinjock), fried chicken (Alligator River Marina)... :)

But we'll probably stay in a different place (from previous trips) in Belhaven and Oriental this time.

-Chris

We had to stay home and sew the new bimini this weekend... sorry we will miss you. :flowers:

Well........... Mears finally emailed Bess back. They said they are full, but will put us on a list in case someone is gone before we head that way. It seems irrelevant though. They said the rate was ... wait for it... $58/ft.

Nope.

And why would you take a boat trip to places more easily and cheaply visited by car?

Wifey B: Well, since all places are except islands, with that philosophy, no one would ever own a boat. :mad:

We take trips all the time to places faster and cheaper by car. :)

Wifey B: Well, since all places are except islands, with that philosophy, no one would ever own a boat. :mad:

We take trips all the time to places faster and cheaper by car. :)

Nope. 1) there are plenty of islands and 2)there are more than plenty of wilderness areas not accessible by car or even ferry either ... and 3) no, we wouldn't own a cruising boat if all we did was marina hop.

I briefly thought about one of the Annapolis marinas and inquired about a 45-foot slip that was available. They wanted $13,500/year for the same as what I get at a Galesville, MD marina for $5,400. Our slip has a full-length finger pier and is sheletered from most winds. Plus, any of the Annapolis marinas are a pain traffic-wise to get to.
Well........... Mears finally emailed Bess back. They said they are full, but will put us on a list in case someone is gone before we head that way. It seems irrelevant though. They said the rate was ... wait for it... $58/ft.

Nope.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom