Annapolis in the Summer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’m surprised Chesapeake Harbour has not been mentioned. Not too far from town and with an excellent restaurant on-site.

Mandatory pool is overstating it a little... Certainly in Aug. & Sept., one would be nice, but we don't see it as a deal-breaker. :eek:)

Fair enough, that can open up possibilities. We usually aim for "pool places" in July and August, otherwise not such a big deal.

Somebody above said Sep/Oct would be nicer than Aug/Sep... and I can agree somewhat with that. OTOH, AC makes August just fine too.

I can't remember offhand if Eastport Yacht Center has a pool, but if it does, it's also on the "walkable to downtown" side of Back Creek... and it's a nice place. We've never been able to get into Mears (although maybe partly from lack of trying) but have been able to stay at Eastport Yacht Center... and it's an equally easy walk to downtown.

I’m surprised Chesapeake Harbour has not been mentioned. Not too far from town and with an excellent restaurant on-site.

Guess I forgot... but then I also can't remember if they have a pool and I was focused on that idea. Nice place, and happens I know the new dockmaster. Like the "other side of Back Creek" places, its further from downtown.

It can be a bit intimidating getting into there for the first (and second, third, etc.) time... boatloads of BIG $$$$ yachts on T-heads either side of the scrawny fairway... and our first time in was with single screw, no thruster... hmmm...

All good, though. :)

-Chris

I want the time back that I spent on the drive between Annapolis and Reston. It looks a lot better on paper than it does from the ground.

Hot damp summers and cold damp winters. All in all, it was a great area way back when. Awfully crowded now, but a lot of great people.

I totally agree!! I can leave my house in Cary, get to the airpport, fly up to Dulles and get to the office before some of my coworkers get through their traffic. It's nuts.

A couple thoughts on commuting in this area...

You might have a look at Metro viability for Reston and so forth -- I'm not as familiar with Herndon, etc. -- but if the Silver Line that now goes toward Dulles has some useful stops on it... then it's maybe possible to get there from Annapolis.

One option from Annapolis is the commuter bus from a local Park 'n' Ride, either to the New Carrolton Metro Station (continue on Metro) or all the way into downtown DC. The other is to drive to New Carrolton and park there, take Metro to wherever. From elsewhere (e.g., HHN/Deale) the local PnR and the nearest Metro target might be different, but same concept. Overall time could be slightly longer, overall stress could be much lower.

I mentioned Liberty on the South River as being about the absolute shortest commute to Columbia, might not actually be too much different for HHN/Deale to Reston given traffic on US-50 generally moves along OK ('til it doesn't)... but I don't know much about the marina itself other than location... so that's not a recommendation, just an observation... and AC reviews might be more informative about the place. There are a few other marinas in almost the same place (Oak Grove, etc.) that I didn't try to name only because I don't think they have pools, but those could be equally commuter-"friendly" (as it were).

The comment about Bay Bridge re-decking work is on target; long lines, lots o' backups, lots o' complaints, etc. I don't remember how long that's supposed to last, though. If it's just a wintertime project, could well be done and dusted before you get close.

-Chris

Last edited:
The Bay Bridge project is forecast to take TWO YEARS.
A couple thoughts on commuting in this area...

You might have a look at Metro viability for Reston and so forth -- I'm not as familiar with Herndon, etc. -- but if the Silver Line that now goes toward Dulles has some useful stops on it... then it's maybe possible to get there from Annapolis.

One option from Annapolis is the commuter bus from a local Park 'n' Ride, either to the New Carrolton Metro Station (continue on Metro) or all the way into downtown DC. The other is to drive to New Carrolton and park there, take Metro to wherever. From elsewhere (e.g., HHN/Deale) the local PnR and the nearest Metro target might be different, but same concept. Overall time could be slightly longer, overall stress could be much lower.

I mentioned Liberty on the South River as being about the absolute shortest commute to Columbia, might not actually be too much different for HHN/Deale to Reston given traffic on US-50 generally moves along OK ('til it doesn't)... but I don't know much about the marina itself other than location... so that's not a recommendation, just an observation... and AC reviews might be more informative about the place. There are a few other marinas in almost the same place (Oak Grove, etc.) that I didn't try to name only because I don't think they have pools, but those could be equally commuter-"friendly" (as it were).

The comment about Bay Bridge re-decking work is on target; long lines, lots o' backups, lots o' complaints, etc. I don't remember how long that's supposed to last, though. If it's just a wintertime project, could well be done and dusted before you get close.

-Chris

We lived in Arnold (right across the Severn River from Annapolis) for five years. The good boating season is so short, I would probably just take the $$ hit and try and stay as close to downtown Annapolis or Eastport as I could get. Being able to walk to everything there is a huge plus.

It is a really fun boating area; our favorite waterside joint was Cantlers (39.0029/76.458 on Mill Creek). But there are so many cool places to go there. It is a short boating season for most (the frostbiters notwithstanding).

The moorings (they have a water taxi) out front of Annapolis are a good deal, but so is the city dock at Ego Alley (if you can ever get a space there, it's first come, first serve, and time limited). There are also more reasonable prices at some of the marinas on Kent Island, but you have to cross the Chesapeake every time to get to Annapolis. In the summer, it is rarely a bad ride.

You'll have fun. We still miss it! :)

These are all great tips y’all. Thanks 3000! We are getting our head around the layout now and will start narrowing down the choices and options.

We still have a couple of questions:
Is Main Street the “main street” where the cool stuff is, or is there stuff spread all over?
Is Eastport a separate town to explore or are the recos to stay there just to be close to downtown?
How is (car)parking in downtown? If we opt for a place like Harrington, would a drive in be futile?

Getting there is an eff'ng schlep. That and the marina entrance is 'entertaining' if there's any chop/wind. The pool there is nice, but is nowhere near close to the restaurant (so no pool-side drinks). The driveway to get in/out of the complex is longer than the walk from Eastport all the way to Annapolis. And then there's the drive all way around Bayside/Hilltop/Chesapeake just to get to downtown. It's an option to consider, just not one if I wanted to do any kind of walking.... to anything... because nothing is near it.

These are all great tips y’all. Thanks 3000! We are getting our head around the layout now and will start narrowing down the choices and options.

Is Main Street the “main street” where the cool stuff is, or is there stuff spread all over?
Is Eastport a separate town to explore or are the recos to stay there just to be close to downtown?
How is (car)parking in downtown? If we opt for a place like Harrington, would a drive in be futile?

Maps have legends to help you see distances. The walk from Mears in Eastport to the Annapolis Market (downtown) is less than a mile. Stuff is up/down Main Street and the surrounding streets. There's other stuff out on West St, and that's still reasonable walking distance.

If you want to get to a supermarket, theater or a shopping mall you're going to have to get in a vehicle. There's liquor stores in walking distance, though schlepping cases of booze might benefit from a vehicle (walk there, uber back).

Eastport is more of a set of streets than a town, it has no real town center (as it's not really very big). A number of good restaurants/cafes.

Parking is available in Annapolis, both on-street and in parking garages. Most of it is pay parking. You can park for free on many streets in Eastport for a few hours and walk over the Spa Creek bridge if paying for parking is a concern. Other than during very busy times/events I've never had a problem getting a spot in Annapolis. It may take a loop or two around the area if you're hell bent on a street spot, or just use the garages.

Keeping the boat in Herrington will mean a 45 minute drive from South, 35 from North. Making it more of a deliberate excursion to spend time in Annapolis rather than "let's just take a walk and see what's happening."

I haven't read all the posts, but commuting to Herndon from Annapolis sounds like a long term visit to Hell packed in a few short months to me. Take a look at the marinas on the Occoquan River on either side of 95. You can do a lot of exploring and gunkholing on the Chesapeake and tributaries from there.

If you want to be right on the Chesapeake, Solomons would be far and away my first choice. We were at the Solomon's Yachting Center marina a few weeks ago (and will be back the end of this week to help some friends bring boat down to Beaufort). It was very nice with a pool to boot. There are lots of marinas to choose from.

Your best bet is to get a Waterway Guide Chesapeake edition, and Chesapeake Magazines cruising guide, and drive up there and check it all out. Spend some time in rush hours traffic while you are at it.

Adding on to all the great info above, check out Prop Talk magazine for marina advertising. Many of the marinas offer some car or service to get you around. Also, what is a long drive by car can be a short hop by boat in the area. For variety you could anchor in the Washington Channel in D.C., on the Potomac, and tour the D.C. area. The marinas are usually full and expensive there, but anchoring off is inexpensive.

South River has two marinas which are easy access to Annapolis and to US 50. Liberty is one.

Have you been to Annapolis before? Because we have and we don’t really see what the big deal about it might be. It’s just another waterside tourist town with the same boring food, the same cookie cutter bars and the same junky tourist stores as nearly ever other shore town on the Bay. It is really crowded though if that is an attraction. We spent just over a week there this summer and that was more than enough to cross it off of our list. In the end we were so bored that we took our rental car and visited DC.

On the plus side there is El Cabrito a fantastic hole in the wall Central American/Oxacan restaurant that is simply amazing. Filled with Latin families and working people you won’t hear a word of English at any table but yours, but ever time we eat there we are blown away by the quality and low price of the food.

Last edited:

Yes, Main Street is the main street, Church Circle at one end, city docks at the other. Maryland Ave branches off and leads to the Capital Building circle. Decent entertainment/restaurants slightly further out out on West St from Church Circle, ditto on the immediate Eastport side of Spa Creek. All that's easily walking distance from a parking spot, or from the Yacht Basin or city docks. Not out of the question walking distance from Mears or Eastport Yacht Center.

Otherwise, Eastport is mostly housing.

Downtown parking is easy enough, depending. If you mean for a day visit, several pay garages within that footprint and an open pay lot at the city dock. Some on street parking, too, but outside of the metered spaces downtown, much of that is permitted so it takes some getting used to.

The drive from Herrington South isn't all that great. Easy from Herrington North, and car visits to downtown Annapolis would be relatively easy.

George mentions the Occoquan, way up the Potomac. Probably would be much easier commute to Herndon/Reston, would suck to Columbia. But once you know the work situation -- and if its NoVA -- maybe you could stay on the boat most of the time over there, visit Annapolis by car... or visit Annapolis by boat at the beginning and/or end of the overall trip. ???

-Chris

It may have changed since we left, but parking was challenging on weekends, but you could always find a spot, sooner or later.

Weekdays, it was pretty easy to get parking, even really close to the middle of everything (near Ego Alley, for instance) in front of Phillips restaurant. My neighbor used to keep his boat on a lift behind his house, and we frequently just boated over for a night out. Back then, it was always easy to find a place to tie up. Maybe not so much now. This was 1995-2001.

Getting around in a car in the greater DC area is just never fun (the beltway (and Route 50) during rush hour can be hellish). When I had to go to DC for work, I would always just drive until I got to the first Metro Station (Carrolton back then for me) and take the Metro in. I had to drive into Baltimore every day and I would take route 2 the entire way, because there were going to be wrecks on the Interstate and Route 2, but you could just drive around them on Route 2.

Learn the back routes.

If you can go against the grain, it's great. I worked at Quantico Marine Base for six months, while living in Pentagon City. It was a great commute. I would fly along at 70, while everyone on the other side was doing 10.

Last edited:
Really great info Everyone!! The commute is really not a big deal. I go into the office about once per month. I might do it a bit more while up that way....but it’s really not an issue.

We are really looking for to planning this adventure! You all have really enhanced our motivation to come up to the Chesapeake next summer!

If you want to be right on the Chesapeake, Solomons would be far and away my first choice. We were at the Solomon's Yachting Center marina a few weeks ago (and will be back the end of this week to help some friends bring boat down to Beaufort). It was very nice with a pool to boot. There are lots of marinas to choose from.

As a 'home base' for working around the DMV metro area Solomon's strikes me as a terrible choice. It's a long drive all the way down there. That and there's not anywhere near the same array of sites to visit from there. Sure, lots of fishing/wildlife areas, but if you want on the water action like marinas, towns and such, there ain't bupkis around there. If you wanted to take a boat trip up to Annapolis, Baltimore, St. Michael's and the like you're tacking at least an extra hour onto the start of the journey.

As a stopping point along the way, however, it's quite nice and well worth spending a day/weekend there.

Last edited:
We have lived in the area since 2001. In my opinion your characterization of Annapolis is shared by few.
Have you been to Annapolis before? Because we have and we don’t really see what the big deal about it might be. It’s just another waterside tourist town with the same boring food, the same cookie cutter bars and the same junky tourist stores as nearly ever other shore town on the Bay. It is really crowded though if that is an attraction. We spent just over a week there this summer and that was more than enough to cross it off of our list. In the end we were so bored that we took our rental car and visited DC.

On the plus side there is El Cabrito a fantastic hole in the wall Central American/Oxacan restaurant that is simply amazing. Filled with Latin families and working people you won’t hear a word of English at any table but yours, but ever time we eat there we are blown away by the quality and low price of the food.

As a 'home base' for working around the DMV metro area Solomon's strikes me as a terrible choice. It's a long drive all the way down there. That and there's not anywhere near the same array of sites to visit from there. Sure, lots of fishing/wildlife areas, but if you want on the water action like marinas, towns and such, there ain't bupkis around there. If you wanted to take a boat trip up to Annapolis, Baltimore, St. Michael's and the like you're tacking at least an extra hour onto the start of the journey.

As a stopping point along the way, however, it's quite nice and well worth spending a day/weekend there.

Have you actually ever been there lately? Say the last 10 or 15 years? Or ever? Sure doesn't sound like it. At all.

And why would you take a boat trip to places more easily and cheaply visited by car?

Have And why would you take a boat trip to places more easily and cheaply visited by car?

I can answer that... every town looks way better from the water than it does from the land. :)

The commute is really not a big deal. I go into the office about once per month. I might do it a bit more while up that way....but it’s really not an issue.

Ah! That makes a BIG difference! C'mon ahead, ya'll, we'll keep the light on for ya.

:)

-Chris

My brother keeps his boat at Magothy Marina on the Magothy River in Severna Park. It seems reasonable, you may find a condo slip for 'long term' rental at a decent price. Friendly folks, and a nice swimming pool.

commuting from Annapolis

You may want to take the metro (as several have mentioned) from New Carrolton to Reston. The new Silver line now goes to Reston and will soon go to Dulles. The issue would be how close to the Dulles toll-road is your office.
<p>
One of the marinas in Eastport is Port Annapolis. they have a nice pool.
<p>
Whether it is Port Annapolis or Jabins, there is a shopping center at the end of the street with a grocery store (Giant), a Chinese restaurant, etc. A Starbucks is right across the street. West marine is just up the street as is Tiffanies (Fawcetts).

Take a look at Herrington Harbor in Deale. There are actually two marinas there. Herrington North and Herrington South. I believe a North is quieter.

If it were me, I wouldn’t go to the Potomac River as the cruising is less ideal than the Bay.

Another option is to spend a month at one marina and another at a different marina on another part of the Bay. I don’t know what kind of boat you have. If sail, you would be able to cover more of the Bay by relocating. Of course, it might cost more than staying in same marina for 2 months.

Looks like previous replies have you pretty well covered, but I'll add my 2 cents. I currently live in Eastport, and keep my boat at AMCYC at the end of the peninsula. It's small, not super luxurious or anything, but definitely a great view and has a pool, and is cheaper. Eastport is a great little neighborhood and much more sane (less crowded, less activity) than Annapolis proper, and is a short walk or water taxi from the Main St area. There are a handful of good restaurants, bars, and cafes.

Port Annapolis is great and has a great work yard, but you can't walk from there to downtown (it's on Back Creek, too far to walk).

I kept my boat at Herrington Harbour North for years. It's also a great setting, but certainly more remote. They're top notch, and lots of repair facilities.

When I was incarcerated for four years at Canoe U in the late 60's, there was a fantastic, decrepit, working fish market at the end of the city docks on Spa Creek. Midshipmen who had the means would slip one of the fishermen or local barflies a few bucks to go into one of the dives that surrounded the square to buy them a pint of booze. Annapolis had character in those days. And then the monied gentry moved in with their big bank accounts and yachts. Now it's a pathetic tourist trap. Solomon Island for my money.

Lots of good, varied advice here so far. I think it comes to whether you want to be located for work or for cruising the Bay. Reston and Columbia are nowhere near the Chesapeake.
As a native who has called Annapolis my home town for more than 70 years and sailed in many places in the world, I have a few suggestions:

1. Many sailors rate the Chesapeake as the finest cruising ground in the country and one of the best in the world. August and September here will be about 5 degrees cooler than your location in North Carolina. You will need A/C in a marina.
2. The mid-Bay area around Annapolis is the prime location of the Chesapeake. I have kept my boat on Kent Island for the past 30 years or so and once drew a 25-mile radius circle around my home port there. I counted 119 good anchorages with at least 6 feet of water in that circle, a number of interesting waterfront towns and one major city. You won't be bored. Plan on anchoring, not spending all the time in marinas.
3. I now live just west of the Bay bridge, near Whitehall Creek. US 50/301 gives me direct shot to any place in the Baltimore/Washington area but I do have to be careful when timing my drive. If your work schedule is truly flexible, you can avoid the horrible morning and afternoon rush traffic and have an easy time. I'm retired from teaching now, so I'm flexible and getting about is simple.
4. For easy access to mid-Bay cruising, look at the marinas on the south shore of the Magothy River, including Ferry Point and Magothy Marina. They're a short drive to US 50/301 for DC, to back roads to Annapolis for fun, Severna Park for shopping, or to MD 2 to Baltimore and MD 100 to Columbia for work. It's a long haul to northern VA, but plenty of commuters do that, working at home as much as possible or driving part way and taking Metro. I wouldn't.
5. There's simply no interesting cruising near northern Virginia. It's a long way up the Potomac.
6. Bring up Google Maps, turn on the traffic layer, and study the Annapolis/DC/Baltimore region on various days and hours. You'll find that Thursday and Friday afternoon and Saturday morning are awful, especially on the DC and Baltimore beltways, I-97 and eastbound US 50/301. Otherwise, you can move about freely if you just watch the time.

I love it here. May/June and September/October are magnificent. July/August is hot. November-April is cold. Much like eastern North Carolina.

Feel free to contact me.

-- Tom

Something to consider is making a list of the more interesting locations and spending a couple of days visiting them by car, plus driving to and from the necessary work location(s) during rush hour from one or two of the more distant places. It might help you decide on a location or two.

I live in DC and keep my boat (sail) in Galesville. If you're regularly driving to Herndon or Reston, expect the trip from Annapolis to easily be up to almost two hours each way depending on traffic. Consider coming up the Potomac! A couple of marinas in Alexandria (City Marina being one-unsure of rates) or over in National Harbor (a bit pricey but easy beltway access and lots of shops/restaurants).

If you're committed to staying on the bay, definitely consider South, West, or Rhode Rivers, or Herrington Harbor. Relatively easy access to the Beltway, decent amenities and marinas that won't bust the bank. But you will need a car to get everywhere.

Another option is anchor and dingy. Tons of great anchorages and dingy access from Baltimore, in DC, and in Annapolis. We hardly ever get a slip as a dingy is so easy.

While you're in the Bay, definitely get over to St Michael's- gorgeous anchorages, lots of services and a great boater town w/ a lovely maritime museum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom