Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
6000miles to Rio in 2 months

I intend to leave from Fort Lauderdale in December to Go to the Carnival in Rio.
I have an Hi Star 55 and I need some help about the North of South America.
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Guru

We'll depart next Jan 20 cruising to Bahamas, Caribean, North of South America, North of Brazil, Northeast BrZil and finally , home in Rio . Somebody wants to join us?

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Old 12-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
not doing 100 miles a day straight for 2 months!!!!

that's too much like work!!!!!

unless you were in the sportfish that pulled in the other day behind me that cruised at 35, had been to Bemuda and was headed for Mexico! That baby covered some miles every day...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Guru

You are right, maybe 3 months, maybe more in two times.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Guru

City: Georgia
That's a trip I would take a year or two to make, spending time in and around each island and port and cove and bay. Side trips would drag it out maybe longer. And there might be stretches where I'd skip over some locales, but make plans to catch them on the way back.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Guru

Rambler, until San Juan, I have crew, after that I have 2. For the North of South America I need crew. Come with us and we'll learn together.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
If I were to do your trip and only had 60 days, I would consider Florida to Puerto Rico, ~875 miles/4.5 days (200 mile days), since you just left the US and haven't stopped, easy check in/out and good fuel. Puerto Rico to Port of Spain, Trinidad, ~700 miles/4 days. Again easy check in/out, good fuel and lots of marine services. Port of Spain to Fortaleza, 1628 miles/9-10 days. You'll have contrary current for a good part of this leg. You can stop in Frech Guiana but there isn't much for services and the officials are slow. Fortaleza to Salvador, 800 miles/4 days. Salvador to Rio, 750 miles/4 days.

That's about 27/24 hour days of travel. You add weather and mechanical delays, ie: waiting on parts, check in/out with government officials and stops you want to make, I bet you are at your 60 days if not longer.

To help plan your trip I would get Visual Passage Planner.

Digital Wave - Products

Lena and I did the reverse trip in 2004/2005 from Salvador to the US. We took 7 plus months but we weren't doing a delivery which it seems you are doing. It still, should be a great trip for you and your crew.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: San Mateo
Vessel Name: Cha Cha
Vessel Model: 43' Gulfstar MK1
I had planned to do the same trip but everyone I have talked with said it took about two years round trip. No fun if you can't stop and smell the roses. I'm heading out from Florida in April to the Bahamas and south. I haven't decided if we are going to try Rio or the Panama canal and to the Galapago Islands.
khhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Guru

From Trinidad to Fortaleza, we must fuel in all 3 guianas and close Belem (Salinopolis) . We have counter flow (3knots) but if we go close the coast the current can be zero but we must take care with wood logs floating, fisher boats, ...
I bought a cage tank (275gal) because I just have 550 gals in our 3 tanks.
I saw that we can cruise 8/8.5 knots burning 6/7 gal

Old 12-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
Guru

Khhayes, if you decide to go to Rio, call me and I'll show you nice places, we'll go together to Angra dos Reis that has 365 islands.
Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
(305) 515-3571 or
Rio 8899-3613

Old 12-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
not doing 100 miles a day straight for 2 months!!!!

that's too much like work!!!!!

unless you were in the sportfish that pulled in the other day behind me that cruised at 35, had been to Bemuda and was headed for Mexico! That baby covered some miles every day...
I love fast heavy boats but can you imagine what her fuel bill would be for a dash to Brazil?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemao View Post
From Trinidad to Fortaleza, we must fuel in all 3 guianas and close Belem (Salinopolis) . We have counter flow (3knots) but if we go close the coast the current can be zero but we must take care with wood logs floating, fisher boats, ...
I bought a cage tank (275gal) because I just have 550 gals in our 3 tanks.
I saw that we can cruise 8/8.5 knots burning 6/7 gal

Wow! what a trip. You could do what that guy did on a GB42. He removed one prop to reduce drag then carried several 55 gallon drums of fuel and left hawaii for the states. At the halfway point he jumped in and took the prop off the other engine and reproping the other so as to keep engine hours the same.

you currently have a 1000 mile range. right?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
Guru

One of my engines got hot and I had to stop it. The boat with just one engine made 6.5/7 knot burning about 3 gal/h.
Is it possible to cruise with just one engine each time?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
One of my engines got hot and I had to stop it. The boat with just one engine made 6.5/7 knot burning about 3 gal/h.
well according to this forum for displacement vessels one engine is always more economical. What the guy did in my example was remove the prop from the engine he wasnt using to reduce drag. I don't think at 7-8kts the drag is enough to matter much but he removed it anyway. I have talked to others that run on oneengine for a bit and then the other to keep the hours the same on both engines. I found out many of the commercial fishermen in my area have single engined vessels just because it saves money. Post a thread and ask how many owners of twin engine trawlers use one engine. The way i understand it is it dosent take much horsepower to attain hull speed and after hull speed is attained tripling the horsepower wont gain you hardly anymore speed. I thgink the calculation is the sqaure root of your waterline length times 1.30 to find your hull speed.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Guru

I have 2 Cat 3208 turbo (375HP). I asked to my mechanic if we can take of the Turbo, that the engines develop 210HP. Its enough for us and better consume but we can't do that.
To cruise at 7/8knots I could have 1 engine with 210hp. I know that 2 engines is safely but burn more (
Old 12-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Quote:
Alemao I would recommend to search through this forum on running one engine on a twin screw and ask your mechanic about it too.

I lost one of mine one time and an old fisherman non-licenced diesel mechanic on board strapped the shaft of the dead engine to keep it from rotating while underway.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Old 12-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
I have 2 Cat 3208 turbo (375HP). I asked to my mechanic if we can take of the Turbo, that the engines develop 210HP. Its enough for us and better consume but we can't do that.
To cruise at 7/8knots I could have 1 engine with 210hp. I know that 2 engines is safely but burn more (
I think you would have to change more than the turbos. The injectors are sized for the quantity of air supplied. In other words, a turboed engine with have injectors that spray more fuel than without a turbo. There is more involved than just a turbo. I have a 3208 with turbo, and wouldn't do it. Others will have more knowledge of this than me.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
Guru

OK, I'll run the 2 engines but maybe slow to burn a little less fuel.
I'll have a lot of miles to try and to the learn.
Thank you guys
Old 12-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
OK, I'll run the 2 engines but maybe slow to burn a little less fuel.
I'll have a lot of miles to try and to the learn.
Thank you guys
Whether you can run with one engine only...depends on your transmissions. I have Velvet Drives hooked to my Perkins 6.354's...and while it is ok to travel a short distance with the one engine's prop turning in neutral while the other does all the work....it is not good to do it for long...unless you seize the prop shaft. It has to do with the circulation of the lubricant in the transmission, or lack of it.....
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
no, won't work. You would have to recalibrate your injectors so that your air fuel ratio will be correct for your engine size. This will get expensive. Ask a mechanic but i believe just useing one engine with the turbo is the best course of action for you if your goal is fuel economy. < in my opinion and i am not an expert>>My diesel truck is turbo and the turbo actually increases fuel eficiency because the computer can change air fuel ratios based upon engine load. With a boat the load dosent change as much as with a truck but i would think it would still be better than no turbo except at very low rpm's.