Old 07-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #21
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Thanks for finding that reference. I usually go back to the actual laws since they contain all the exemptions and details often left out of pamphlets like the on you linked to, but for the moment let's assume there is no exemption for transiting boats....

As a Vermont property owner and great supporter of the state, I sadly have to suggest that people NOT transit through Champlain because of these regs. For me, disconnecting, and of course plugging the overboard hoses would have been a major pain in the butt. They are all quit inaccessible, it's a messy job likely to leave shet in the boat, they would need to be disconnected before entering, and then the whole process would have to be reversed on exit. And the gray water rule is simple impossible to comply with. So by the letter of the law, one cannot comply, and therefor should not visit Vermont. I think that's bad for the state.

Alternately, one could do as Caltexflanc suggests and disconnect the black water hoses and just tread lightly on gray water, and hope for the best.

As for the legality of it all, I'm now lawyer, but have looked into it in the past. Here's the logic that leads me to believe these regs are illegal:

1) The EPA allows for no discharge zones (NDZs), but states have to apply for them, show they have adequate pump out facilities, etc., then teh EPA approves them. States cannot unilaterally declare an NDZ in federal waters.

2) The EPA does not regulate gray water discharge (except possible on much larger boats).

3) Federal waters, which are the subject of the EPA regs, are any waters navigable from open ocean. That would make the Hudson and up though Champlain to the Canadian boarder all federal waters.

4) The EPA prohibits states from creating regulations more restrictive than the EPA's on federal waters. States can do whatever they want on state waters, which are waters NOT navigable from the ocean. So Lake George can be regulated solely by NY State.

5) The VT and NY laws are more restrictive than the EPA laws, therefor should not be allowed. They are more restrictive since they require modification of the holding tank system. And they are more restrictive because they regulate gray water.

It seems to me that a simple solution would be an exemption for visiting boats. Then you just need to figure out how to define a "visiting boat".

Old 07-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #22
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
If I may interject with a friendly stopover recommendation, anyone traveling from Oswego to Kingston really should stop in Sackets Harbor. I'm here for the first time today, and am smitten. Beautiful, quiet little town steeped in history. Quaint downtown with lots of good food and drink. Great stop. Highly recommended.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #23

City: Ft Lauderdale
Vessel Model: 120' Custom, Cat 3512's, 1750 HP ea.
We spent a few days in Kingston about 5 yrs ago, great little brew pup right up the street.

We were to big for the smaller canals, had to stay St Lawrence and Welland.
BerettaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #24

City: Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: Mainship 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
If I may interject with a friendly stopover recommendation, anyone traveling from Oswego to Kingston really should stop in Sackets Harbor. I'm here for the first time today, and am smitten. Beautiful, quiet little town steeped in history. Quaint downtown with lots of good food and drink. Great stop. Highly recommended.
Are you staying at Navy Point? We stayed there about 15 years ago and enjoyed it. Sacketts Harbor Brewery was nice and we enjoyed touring the battle grounds. We love the 1000 Islands, last visited in 2012. It's a 4-5 day trip for us from Buffalo. Be sure to stop in Cape Vincent on your way up, one of our all time favorite ports.
ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #25

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
+1 for the Rideau loop. You have time for that route. You won't regret it.
captrigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #26
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Quote:
I haven't done the Erie Canal yet. It may be my next trip, actually. I have done the 1000 islands several times, though. Have you been up there before, or will this be your first time?
Can you tell me what are the high lights of the 1000 Islands?
I am going to spend a few days in Kingston and tour Boldt Castle. But what other places would be worth the stop?
We will be departing in a week so I am trying to make some definite plans.
Thanks
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:22 AM   #27
Guru

Traveling from Montreal to Albany, NY

Kingston is a great town. Lots to do and see. Confederation basin is the place to stay. Right downtown. They don't have fuel or pump out facilities, though. They will take reservations via website only, and only if you register more than 48 hours in advance. You'll likely be able to get in there even without a reservation. There always seems to be space available.

I can definitely recommend Clayton. It's a nice town with several marinas, and a nice municipal dock. There's power, water and pretty decent showers and heads. The antique boat museum is an interesting diversion, and there are several nice shops. Bella's and the Wooden Boat Brewery are both very good. Also, if you need any work done, the mechanics at French Bay Marina are very good. There is an unbelievable wealth of spare parts at French Creek Marina. An older gentleman by the name of Wilburt has built an incredible empire there. If he doesn't have what you need, nobody does.

Alexandria Bay is a bit more crass, a bit more party town. There are lots of places to get loud and drunk. I don't recall ever having had a great meal there, so I can't make any recommendations in that department. Riveredge resort has nice docks, a pool, bar, restaurant, power and water, but is a bit pricey.

A big part of the draw for me is the natural beauty of the area. I get lots of joy from just weaving around the islands. Make sure you have good charts. There are lots of rocks and shoals that aren't marked.

The Lake Fleet, Navy and Admiralty islands are beautiful. There are lots of Canadian national park islands with docks and heads, but little else. No power or water. They're inexpensive and fill up quickly. If you're into boat camping, they're worth a look.

You'll want to see Boldt Castle, for sure. I've also heard good things about Singer Castle on Dark Island, but haven't been, myself.

Cape Vincent is a town I remember fondly, but I haven't been there in a long time, so I'm not sure how it looks these days. Same for Gananoque.

Have a great trip! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #28
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Quote:
Kingston is a great town. Lots to do and see. Confederation basin is the place to stay. Right downtown. They don't have fuel or pump out facilities, though. They will take reservations via website only, and only if you register more than 48 hours in advance. You'll likely be able to get in there even without a reservation. There always seems to be space available.

I can definitely recommend Clayton. It's a nice town with several marinas, and a nice municipal dock. There's power, water and pretty decent showers and heads. The antique boat museum is an interesting diversion, and there are several nice shops. Bella's and the Wooden Boat Brewery are both very good. Also, if you need any work done, the mechanics at French Bay Marina are very good. There is an unbelievable wealth of spare parts at French Creek Marina. An older gentleman by the name of Wilburt has built an incredible empire there. If he doesn't have what you need, nobody does.

Alexandria Bay is a bit more crass, a bit more party town. There are lots of places to get loud and drunk. I don't recall ever having had a great meal there, so I can't make any recommendations in that department. Riveredge resort has nice docks, a pool, bar, restaurant, power and water, but is a bit pricey.

A big part of the draw for me is the natural beauty of the area. I get lots of joy from just weaving around the islands. Make sure you have good charts. There are lots of rocks and shoals that aren't marked.

The Lake Fleet, Navy and Admiralty islands are beautiful. There are lots of Canadian national park islands with docks and heads, but little else. No power or water. They're inexpensive and fill up quickly. If you're into boat camping, they're worth a look.

You'll want to see Boldt Castle, for sure. I've also heard good things about Singer Castle on Dark Island, but haven't been, myself.

Cape Vincent is a town I remember fondly, but I haven't been there in a long time, so I'm not sure how it looks these days. Same for Gananoque.

Have a great trip! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Hey Thanks for the input. Clayton looks good as does the Singer Castle, which we will tour on our way to Brockville. Brockville will be a far as we go and then we will make a U turn back to Oswego.
Appreciate your time.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:35 PM   #29
Guru

My pleasure entirely. enjoy!