Old 06-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #21
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
...... the TN river was our dream for retirement. .......
You got the boat. Just go around the horn, head west and make a right at Mobile bay and another right at Pickwick lake. C'mon up, the coffee is hot and the beer is cold.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Man we want to make that trip to Chattanooga some day very soon .I think it would be a good trip for us and William . It's about 400 nm from Paris Landing . I would need a month off to do the trip right .Maybe the boss will let me off . I sell more lumber when I'm away from work and on the boat anyway.
Must be the atmosphere .

Come on over, Marty. William would add interest and class to our waterfront. I am more than a little biased, but I think Chattanooga is the most interesting stop on the Tennessee River. You could easily spend a week here. Who knows someone may offer to tour you around to see the things that interest you. Two old lumber salesmen could probably think of something.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
You got the boat. Just go around the horn, head west and make a right at Mobile bay and another right at Pickwick lake. C'mon up, the coffee is hot and the beer is cold.
Actually we're taking a longer route there at the moment. So far we've made it to Toronto. Down the Mississippi to the Ohio to the TN to Pickwick in October. We'll keep it on Pickwick so we can cruise the inland rivers for two or three years, before doing it all again. 2017, we will definitely cruise the length of the Tennessee.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #24
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Tony good to hear you made it back to your home port. That should be a good area to make the Fortress trade.
We are presently hunker down on Cape Hatteras enjoying tropical storm Bonnie for our week at OBX.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #25
Guru

Cape Hatteras huh? Great timing.
Was nice meeting you a few weeks back. Since then, I have re-injured my shoulder, arm and knee. Tripped walking across a "Handicapped Zone". Yeah, go figya.
Have fun down there and be safe.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #26

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
We just turns the corner from The Tenn-Tom this morning at mm 215. So far 480 miles from home and headed to Telico until October or so. Plan on stopping at Wheeler for a few days to get off the boat.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #27
Guru

There are no courtesy cars here at Wheeler, but I have my van and can take you shopping.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
There are no courtesy cars here at Wheeler, but I have my van and can take you shopping.
Wifey B: Chauffeured Courtesy Van.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Chauffeured Courtesy Van.
You Bet. This is a class act. LOL
Old 06-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #30

Thanks Tony. We might make it today. Just cleared Wilson lock. Only three hours or so to go I hope!
Old 06-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
Thanks Tony. We might make it today. Just cleared Wilson lock. Only three hours or so to go I hope!
You only have about 15 nm to go.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Yesterday around mm 57 .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	52762  
Old 06-07-2016, 08:30 AM   #33

Tony, thanks for all the information you passed to me. It's been helpful. The train ride is on the bucket list for sure. Every time I walk on someone else's boat I get new ideas. Hope you don't mind if I borrow some of yours.

We are leaving out this morning for Guntersville. There for a day or so before moving on.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #34
Guru

I am glad to share whatever info I have. feel free to borrow any ideas you want.
Hopefully, we will meet up again. Have a great trip.
Once you get near Chattanooga and beyond, the view from the river dramatically changes for the better.
Coming from the coast, it's hard to fathom the thought that you drove your boat from the Gulf of Mexico up into the Appalachian Mtns.
Be safe and have a blast.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #35

Left Joe a Wheeler State park this morning around 8:30am. It was a great place to stay and meet several great new boat friends. Tonight we made it to Gunterville after many miles of great travel. There are several great sights along the way including painted rock. In Guntersville we are staying at the city dock which is (did I mention) free. No services here such as fuel or pump out but a really nice dock and it's Free! We had read and been told that there was very limited power here. We first docked on the long side of the L shaped dock fully expecting to run the generator all night as we need 50amp service to plug into. Once I walked the dock I discovered a 250v 50 outlet at the toe of the dock. We walked the boat around the corner and plugged in and instant shore power. This is a really nice dock for free!

We walked a few blocks into downtown Gunterville and discovered a small restaurant called "Old Town Stock House". The food was wonderful. Cheryl and I have eaten all over the U.S. and this was as good as any restaurant we have eaten in, including may celebrity chef's places. The young lady that owns and is the chef is CSA trained and had worked in many restruants in New York and Atlanta. All I can say is that Guntersville, you have a winner here and it's seems to be a secret until now. I encourage anyone traveling through to stop in and try both the City dock's out and the "Old Town Stock House" out for a try.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #36
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
Left Joe a Wheeler State park this morning around 8:30am. It was a great place to stay and meet several great new boat friends. Tonight we made it to Gunterville after many miles of great travel. There are several great sights along the way including painted rock. In Guntersville we are staying at the city dock which is (did I mention) free. No services here such as fuel or pump out but a really nice dock and it's Free! We had read and been told that there was very limited power here. We first docked on the long side of the L shaped dock fully expecting to run the generator all night as we need 50amp service to plug into. Once I walked the dock I discovered a 250v 50 outlet at the toe of the dock. We walked the boat around the corner and plugged in and instant shore power. This is a really nice dock for free!

We walked a few blocks into downtown Gunterville and discovered a small restaurant called "Old Town Stock House". The food was wonderful. Cheryl and I have eaten all over the U.S. and this was as good as any restaurant we have eaten in, including may celebrity chef's places. The young lady that owns and is the chef is CSA trained and had worked in many restruants in New York and Atlanta. All I can say is that Guntersville, you have a winner here and it's seems to be a secret until now. I encourage anyone traveling through to stop in and try both the City dock's out and the "Old Town Stock House" out for a try.
Capt. Jon,

If you are going to be in Guntersville a day or so stop by Hammer's the big store downtown. Unbelievable! They may not have anything you want, but they will have plenty of it.

I have to drive up near the Hiwasee River tomorrow to pick up my travel trailer to move it back to storage in Cleveland. Our Riverbend Festival starts Friday night, and runs about 9 days. The waterfront will be a zoo. If you do get a spot on the city docks, let me know. We can meet up, and I can take you any place you need to go.

Tony is right. From Nickajack up is the best cruising on the Tennessee. So enjoy what we have to offer. I love it up here.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #37

Moonstruck, we will check it out on the way back south this fall. I think this place needs to be a several day excursion next time through.

We heard that there is no room at the inn during the river festival. We also heard they auctioned off the slips in the city space for charity. Since we will be coming through that way during the weekend we figured we'd wait until the trip back this fall to stop.

If it gets better than this after Nickajack then it must be awesome! This has been a great trip so far! Only complaint is after 15 locks I'm glad they are getting further apart and that's not really a complaint. We have enjoyed every minute of it!!! Only 4 more to go to our final destination!