Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
Member
 
City: Oregon
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6
Tennessee river marinas

Morning folks, would love some input on places along the Tennessee river to live that has trawler friendly marinas near by. We are selling our place in Oregon and plan to retire somewhere in TN, my lifelong dream was to own a trawler and possibly do the great loop. Would be nice to live right on the water and have our own dock but probably could not afford that.
__________________
Advertisement

Flyinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
fgarriso's Avatar
 
City: Desoto
Country: USA
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: 1973 Alaskan 49-B PH
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 160
Most marinas along the Tennessee river are very trawler friendly.
__________________

__________________
Captain F. Lee - R.P.E.
USCG 100 ton Master
fgarriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Country: US
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinb View Post
Morning folks, would love some input on places along the Tennessee river to live that has trawler friendly marinas near by. We are selling our place in Oregon and plan to retire somewhere in TN, my lifelong dream was to own a trawler and possibly do the great loop. Would be nice to live right on the water and have our own dock but probably could not afford that.
How far up the river? Shady Grove Harbor (mm 487) has very clean, modern covered slips in a well-protected cove. We pay <$400 for a 50’ x 18’ slip with fingers on both sides. It’s quiet unless a Harley is passing on the road on the opposite bank. Downtown Chattanooga is less than 30 minutes away and the city and scenery have a lot to recommend. Live-aboards are welcome—although there’s only one that I know of. There’s a nuclear plant down river in case that bothers (or delights) you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	255472AA-1ABA-421B-BE77-B6508A853435.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	91170  
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
Member
 
City: Oregon
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6
Thanks Angus, We have looked at places (on line) from Paris Landing area all the way down to Pickwick dam, also looked around Watts Bar lake area. One thing for sure is we don't want to be in a big city, or even a small city..lol. When we sell our place we will be living in our RV and looking for a place, hopefully in the next couple months. A nuclear plant don't bother us.
Flyinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member
 
IronZebra's Avatar
 
City: Albuquerque, New Mexico and Counce, Tennessee
Country: US
Vessel Model: Atlas Acadia 25
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 99
Pickwick lake and Hardin County in Tennessee. Homes are very affordable and very nice Marinas in the area (Grande Harbor, Aqua Harbor, and Pickwick Park Marina).

Not sure your budget but you will see large homes with their own docks starting around $400k. Homes without docks will start around $100k.

We bought our smallish 2br/2bt for $105k a year ago. It is walking distance to Pickwick lake, within 1 mile of Aqua Harbor, and about 10 min drive to golf course at the state park. We are not retiring to it for another couple of years but it currently pays for itself with vacation rentals.
IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinb View Post
Thanks Angus, We have looked at places (on line) from Paris Landing area all the way down to Pickwick dam, also looked around Watts Bar lake area. One thing for sure is we don't want to be in a big city, or even a small city..lol. When we sell our place we will be living in our RV and looking for a place, hopefully in the next couple months. A nuclear plant don't bother us.
This post changes all the equation. It's not a matter of marinas but where you want to live. You apparently are eliminating Knoxville and Chattanooga, two incredible cities. I'd probably go toward the warmest areas, that being the case and look on Pickwick.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member
 
IronZebra's Avatar
 
City: Albuquerque, New Mexico and Counce, Tennessee
Country: US
Vessel Model: Atlas Acadia 25
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 99
We are not big on mobile homes but, I have seen this place and it is nice and has lots of room to park an RV.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...41445188_zpid/
IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #8
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,329
We are at Paris Landing mm 66.1. Itís not as pretty or as much to do as in Chattanooga but we have a clean and quiet marina with restaurant. Itís a State Park marina. We have a 50 ft covered slip $300 a month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A5D6BD98-2F14-4B18-A807-102A9CA0D65C.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	91171  
__________________
Marty
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
Guru
 
HiDHo's Avatar
 
City: Scottsboro, Al.
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 961
Check out Goose Pond Marina in Scottsboro, Al on the Tennessee river. There is an rv campground adjacent to the marina along with an 18 hole golf course and walk to restaurants. Also haul-out repair facility.
Note the scale on the dock support for measuring big bass or crappie’s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18B3ADA9-62A5-4003-AFF5-C9F258D91A4F.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	91172  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
Member
 
City: Oregon
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
This post changes all the equation. It's not a matter of marinas but where you want to live. You apparently are eliminating Knoxville and Chattanooga, two incredible cities. I'd probably go toward the warmest areas, that being the case and look on Pickwick.
BandB...Thanks for the tip on Pickwick, Should have gave more details on what we are looking for. A small town type marina/area would be what were looking for. Been out in the boondocks to long, big cities scare me..LOL
Flyinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
Member
 
City: Oregon
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronZebra View Post
Pickwick lake and Hardin County in Tennessee. Homes are very affordable and very nice Marinas in the area (Grande Harbor, Aqua Harbor, and Pickwick Park Marina).

Not sure your budget but you will see large homes with their own docks starting around $400k. Homes without docks will start around $100k.

We bought our smallish 2br/2bt for $105k a year ago. It is walking distance to Pickwick lake, within 1 mile of Aqua Harbor, and about 10 min drive to golf course at the state park. We are not retiring to it for another couple of years but it currently pays for itself with vacation rentals.
Thanks Zebra, defiantly going to check that area out as well.
Flyinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
Member
 
City: Oregon
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
We are at Paris Landing mm 66.1. Itís not as pretty or as much to do as in Chattanooga but we have a clean and quiet marina with restaurant. Itís a State Park marina. We have a 50 ft covered slip $300 a month.
Paris Landing is one of the marinas that from what i read i really like, some reasonable houses around there as well. Is there usually slips available there? Where would the closest facility be to have your boat hauled and do your own maintanance? Thank, Bruce
Flyinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #13
Member
 
City: Oregon
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Check out Goose Pond Marina in Scottsboro, Al on the Tennessee river. There is an rv campground adjacent to the marina along with an 18 hole golf course and walk to restaurants. Also haul-out repair facility.
Note the scale on the dock support for measuring big bass or crappieís.
Hidho...Not really into golf but the haul-out facility is a plus.
Flyinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #14
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinb View Post
Paris Landing is one of the marinas that from what i read i really like, some reasonable houses around there as well. Is there usually slips available there? Where would the closest facility be to have your boat hauled and do your own maintanance? Thank, Bruce
The covered slips stay booked up but things move around pretty quick. The closest haul out is Sunset Harbor Hill about 25 miles north. Green Turtle Bay is another . It’s on the Cumberland about 40 miles away. There is a canal that connects the Tennessee and the Cumberland Rivers. I don’t think either of these marinas will let you do your own maintenance on their yard. I did a couple little things myself at Sunset when I had mine pulled a couple years ago .
__________________

__________________
Marty
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012