Old 05-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #81
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Well I finally made it to Joe Wheeler State Park on the Tennessee River. Got in here yesterday afternoon and low and behold, there was Chris (Last Tango) and his lovely wife. I had reserved a covered slip a while back, that was when I didn't know anything about river flooding and logs and trash and whatever. As I was pulling into my slip, I suddenly came to an abrupt stop. Half quizitive and half panicy, I couldn't understand what happened. Then someone said "its your crane". Another thing I just learned - ask how high the covered slip entrance is. So away we went, to a transient slip for the evening
Being the great guy that he is, Chris removed the crane for me. This morning I folded down my antennas and now am in my slip and Chris faded away into the mist. No tellin' where we will meet up again.

This really looks like a great place to spend the rest of the year.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #82
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Welcome to the Tennessee River Tony B . If you have time I width you could make your way to Paris landing or we could make our way to Joe Wheeler . Glad you made it safe , now just kick back . Here's to you !!

Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #83
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Great lesson in patience and using good judgement that you taught us all. I'm sure you never imagined how much would occur before you got there. We all stress to be prepared to revise plans if weather dictates. Now, with you it was the after effects of weather.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #84
Guru

Glad to be here

Then again, at my age, I'm glad to be anywhere this side of the dirt.
I love these man made mountain lakes. Tons and tons of shore line waiting to be explored.

Pack Mule: I don't think we will be straying very from here this year. Most likely, we will be heading up that way around April 1, unless we change plans again and head for The Little Tennessee River instead. That would put KY Lake into the following year. But I do think Ky. lake will win out. The admiral is expecting a new grandbaby in a few months and the northern part of Ky. lake will be only about 3 hours by car to St; Louis for more visiting and keep us still only a half day drive from Little Rock.
Either way, we will probably stay at Joe Wheeler til end of March.
This puts me 5 hours by car from Daughters and Grandson in Little Rock and the admiral about 6 hours from son and Granddaughter in St. Louis.

Weather had definitely put a crimp in our plans. We were delayed about 2 months longer in Ms. than planned and so we kind of raced up the rivers to just get here. By doing so, we did not have the time to really enjoy the places we passed up. That wont happen again.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #85
Veteran Member

City: Patterson, LA
Vessel Name: Last Tango
Vessel Model: Ocean 40 + 2 Trawler Yacht
Tony,

Eileen and enjoyed leap frogging up the Tenn Tom with you and Helen.

We are now at Goose Pond and will do a laundry / grocery layover before heading to Chattanooga.

We will stop by for a visit on the way back.

Were you able to get your van ok?

See you again soon.
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #86
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Tony,

Eileen and enjoyed leap frogging up the Tenn Tom with you and Helen.

We are now at Goose Pond and will do a laundry / grocery layover before heading to Chattanooga.

We will stop by for a visit on the way back.

Were you able to get your van ok?

See you again soon.
When you get to Chattanooga, I live a block from the downtown docks. If you need transportation or anything let me know. I'm in town thru Thursday afternoon when I leave for Ft. Pierce to go back to my boat.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #87
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Hey Tony, great to hear you finally made it! Michelle has 2 more work days until retirement and then we will be right behind you (with a stop in Biloxi for a haul out).
Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
When you get to Chattanooga, I live a block from the downtown docks. If you need transportation or anything let me know. I'm in town thru Thursday afternoon when I leave for Ft. Pierce to go back to my boat.

Thanks very much! I think we are in good shape. Got a slip at Island Cove where I will pick up a new O/B for the dinghy.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #89
Guru

Chris:
We were just talking about you guys this morning. We are looking forward to see you again. Now we know where there is a great sea food/catfish house just down the road a few minutes from the marina.
Got my van back here yesterday. Ahhh, how I missed the cultural experience of a Greyhound Bus. They haven't changed in the 40 years since my last Greyhound ride.
When you get here we can get you provisioned at Sams Club or a Super Walmart or wherever, just a short drive from here.
Lookin' forward to seeing you both again.

Blue:
Congrats on Michelle's retirement. Unfortunately, it's not all it's cracked up to be. You still have to make major decisions, like will next year be The Little Tennessee River to the Smokies or Kentucky Lake. I thought retirement would be life without decisions. LOL
Hope to meet up with you guys someday soon.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Hi Tony,

Please say hi to Helen from both Eileen and me. We spent 3 days at Island Cove Marina. Nice relaxing time, but the many, many, boats passing the marina didn't seem to understand what 'no wake' means.

That made for a pretty uncomfortable slip a lot of the time, but we were often gone in the dinghy.

We are anchored at Dayton TN now, passing thru Watts Bar Lock tomorrow. Short runs, relaxing and smelling the roses.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #91
Guru

Hi Cris & Iileen

We were just talking about you last night. I'm digging up photos of you, Eileen and Last Tango and will e-mail them to you.

We are nesting in for the year. We both really like it here like we knew we would. Kinda of hard to get used to driving again. Not used to hills, sharp turns and driving over 6 kts. I hired that same guy (Tim) to take me to the bus terminal in Athens. Seems like a nice guy.

I'm glad you guys are taking your time. We kind of rushed our trip to get north of hurricane territory. It was a benchmark for us. Are you guys gonna stay on the Tenn River this year? We will be making a trip to Chattanooga for a week or so for the fall foliage and then back to Joe Wheeler til March.
Looking forward to meeting up with you again.

Helen is still asleep, but I think she has your e-mail addy. If not, you can send it to me on here in a PM.

Regards

Tony and Helen.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Emails sent by pm.

We have no plans, however we will head home sometime in the not too distant future.

I expect we will hit Knoxville and a little of the Little Tennessee and then head to Paducah, then south on the Mississippi. So we should see you in a few weeks.