Old 03-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #21
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
...... I hope the information you've received on TN River marinas has been helpful.
Yes it has, thank you.
I'm used to sailing and when coastal sailing, anchorages are relatively unlimited. Inland and ICW, especially in La. not so much. They can be found, but you have to work at it. Don't know anything about inland waterways but I assume they would be relatively easy to find because many channels run through lakes. I might be wrong but just guessing.

Regards

Old 03-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Yes it has, thank you.
I'm used to sailing and when coastal sailing, anchorages are relatively unlimited. Inland and ICW, especially in La. not so much. They can be found, but you have to work at it. Don't know anything about inland waterways but I assume they would be relatively easy to find because many channels run through lakes. I might be wrong but just guessing.

Regards
On the Tennessee River they are relatively easy to find. Creeks, coves, bends. I'd say on the whole finding good bottoms to get anchors set is easier too. Not dealing with sand and silt and some of the issues of coastal.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #23
Guru

Speaking of anchoring, I have a claw as my main anchor and a Danforth as my back-up. And a small plow for an emergency stern anchor.
The reason for the claw being the primary is because I can only fit one anchor on the bow roller and the Danforth can easily be hung from the bow rail with an external rode for fast easy deployment.
Should the claw or the Danforth be the primary anchor?
Hopefully it will be the claw because there is no easy place to keep the claw for quick deployment in case of emergency other than on the bow roller where it presently lives.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #24
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
The only subject more dangerous than "which anchor" is "which gun"...

We use a 121 lb Rocna. We used to change anchors when moving between mud (north of Charleston) and more sandy surfaces (south of Charleston). The Rocna works everywhere. It's all we used on the rivers. And I never saw a need for a stern anchor in the 11 years we've been cruising on our trawler (nor a second anchor a la Bahama style).
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #25
Guru

Damn, you type fast.
And yes, anchors are a dangerous topic and yes, I started a 'which gun' thread a while ago. man I can start some $hit.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #26
Guru

I just took another look at a Rocna on Defender and I remembered why I don't have one. I have an 'enclosed' bow roller and I don't think it would work on my system.
As a spectator in the gladiatorial games between the Rocna and the other guy I tend to think they are probably pretty much the same. OOPS!!!!! I did it again.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Dang it Tony, you at it again! I have always found the best anchor to use is the one on my boat . Although, I do have a quote from Rex and am seriously thinking of giving the Excel a try.....I haven't had any nasty weather in the dozen times I have anchored out with the CQR and while I hope it never lets me down, it sure would help in justifying the change.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #28
Guru

Tenn-Tom Waterway

Itís finally spring time and that means back to cruising time for us.
We will be heading from Pascagoula, Ms. to Mobile Bay and then northward to the Tennessee River.
What is the:
1) Average time per Lock?
This includes waiting/standing by, getting in and getting out - total time?
2) Anchoring. It appears that one can anchor just about anywhere outside the channel where it is wide enough. Is this true? I only draw about 3í.

3) I have digitized charts from the Corps of Engrs. That I downloaded. Thatís over 300 pages. I was told that they donít print them anymore.
a). Any other printed charts available?
b). I havenít checked yet to see if anything is available Standard Horizon GPS. Any good sources?
c). Is there anything I can use over my laptop screen so that I can use it outdoors? Too much glare.
d). I use Cricket for my data service and not sure how well it work up there so ActiveCaptain may not be available while on the run.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Tony B , Any chance you might stop in at Paris Landing? I hope so.
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
On a good, lucky day 30 minutes is possible for each lock, or less. That's the day when the lockmaster know's you're coming and each one in succession is open and ready for you.

Traffic going each way can slow that some but not terribly. The only thing that changes it significantly is "red flag" tows. Sometimes regular tows will let you lock through tied to their side if you ask nicely. But when a "red flag" is present, meaning hazardous materials of some sort, no one else can lock with them. Worst case would be two "red flag's" in front of you. That could lead to a wait of an hour and a half or so, possibly more.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #31
Guru

You need multiple plans every day if you're shooting for longer days. You can easily have long lock delays because of commercial traffic or lock issues.

We had full internet access every day (underway) and certainly every night. But you really shouldn't rely on using the ActiveCaptain website - only 20% of users do. Instead, use one of the 25 products that keep all the ActiveCaptain data offline so no internet connection is needed to use any of it. Then it's always available. When you have good internet access every couple of days, do a sync in the app/application to update the database with the info/reviews/comments that changed since the last sync.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #32
Guru

Pack Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Tony B , Any chance you might stop in at Paris Landing? I hope so.
We wont be going up that far north this year, but early next spring we will definitely be up there.
I will even buy the first round of beers.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
.....you really shouldn't rely on using the ActiveCaptain website.... Instead, use one of the 25 products that keep all the ActiveCaptain data offline so no internet connection is needed to use any of it. Then it's always available. When you have good internet access every couple of days, do a sync in the app/application to update the database with the info/reviews/comments that changed since the last sync.
I have got to join the 21st Century and find out what the heck you are talking about. Seriously, I am totally clueless.
Eventually I will find a patient person and show me. I know I am missing a lot.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #34

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
A useful site for several of your questions is: Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway Inland Shipping Transportation. Good luck.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #35
Guru

Mileage Markers

On the Tenn-Tom, are the mile markers in statute or nautical miles?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #36
Guru

Mile markers are in statute miles on all US waterways.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #37
Guru

Thanks, that will save me 15% on fuel and get there 15% faster.
I knew there was a reason I wanted to go inland.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:40 AM   #38

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
Watch for flooding impact on the Tenn-Tom. Massive amount of rainfall recently!
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #39
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Tony I also use a Standard Horizon plotters a cp300i on the bridge and a cp1000 at the lower helm if you don't have the Jeppenson C-Map NT + chart card for it get one they have a lot more information than what's on the embedded charts. What I find useful is the location of day marks, mile markers and the sail line. Have a great trip and post a lot of pics & information it might help me when I head down that way.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
.....you don't have the Jeppenson C-Map NT + chart card for it get one they have a lot more information than what's on the embedded charts.....
The Standard Horizon Chart Plotter was on the boat from the previous owner and I was not familiar with Standard Horizon, I was always a Garmin guy.
I called Standard Horizon and they gave me the c-maps tel number and asked what I needed. Then I asked the local Advanced Marine Electronics guy what I needed and neither one mentioned the + or the Max so I just ordered what they told me to get.
I ordered the charts the day before yesterday and it came in yesterday.
When I plugged it in, all I could say is that I am underwhelmed.

BTW, where are you located?
Anyway, thank for the info. Too bad it was 2 days late. maybe this will help the next guy. And I do appreciate the input.