Old 01-31-2015, 06:05 PM   #21
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Ron

As far as I'm concerned, The Tenn-Tom don't have much to offer unless you are going to the Coast. I have never been on the Ohio so not much to say there other than I heard it and the Cumberland are really worth doing.
The Tennessee has really got me fired up on wanting to see more. I wont be happy till I see it all. This year is east/upstream, next year is north/downstream. After that, we are thinking the coast and possibly Cuba for the winter. After that, won't be much left except maybe the Loop. neither one of us really cares about the Loop for the Loop's sake, but once we hit Florida's east coast, it would probably make sense.
Hope we catch you somewhere along the way.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:29 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Right you are, Tony. The Tennessee has about 700 miles of some of the most cruisable waters of the inland rivers.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #23
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Tony the TennTom would be just to get to Demopolis or the marina at Pickinsville, farther south and a little warmer during winter than Gunthersville. I told my wife today that if we went that far we may as well go to the gulf and genuine warmth. Cuba is a place that I've always wanted to visit, might be just to see all the old Detroit built cars still on the roads in daily use. After all the work getting done on the boat this year I suspect it'll be July or later before we have everything back in shape and ready to head out. I'am leaning to the Lake Michigan trip but that may change when we are actually ready to go, and my wife adds her $.02. Tony I think we will eventually run into each other sometime / somewhere along the inland rivers.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #24
Guru

Tennessee River Springtime River Conditions

I'm planning on cruising again around first of April. Last year at that time, we were delayed for about 2 months near Mobile bay. The constant onslaught of spring rains and record breaking storms kept us from heading north. The logs and trash in the rivers were so bad, even tugs and oil field boats were laid up for long periods of time. I then learned from others that Springtime is not a good time for up river travel on the lower sections of Mobile Bay and northward to the Tenn-Tom.
My question now is: Should I delay my trip on the Tennessee River from NW Alabama to Knoxville, Tn. or are the river sections up here not as bad during April and early May?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I'm planning on cruising again around first of April. Last year at that time, we were delayed for about 2 months near Mobile bay. The constant onslaught of spring rains and record breaking storms kept us from heading north. The logs and trash in the rivers were so bad, even tugs and oil field boats were laid up for long periods of time. I then learned from others that Springtime is not a good time for up river travel on the lower sections of Mobile Bay and northward to the Tenn-Tom.
My question now is: Should I delay my trip on the Tennessee River from NW Alabama to Knoxville, Tn. or are the river sections up here not as bad during April and early May?
Unless we have monsoon type rains the river current should be reasonable. TVA does do some raising and lowering the lakes to flush some of the debris accumulated on the banks. It will stack up behind the dams where they clean it up. This flushing action will put a little more trash in the water, but no too bad. Just watch for it. Monsoon type rains, and all bets are off. The current is ripping, lots of debris, and pool levels are high.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Highly unlikely that anything will impact you on this trip. Yes with huge rains and wash off there will be more logs and trash, but nothing like you encountered last year.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #27
Ray
Veteran Member

City: Scottsboro,Al
Vessel Name: PatsyRay
Vessel Model: 2004 Mainship Trawler
Tony I doubt you will have any problems on your trip up the river, it will not be like the Ten-Tom. If we have a lot of rain you will notice some current that will slow you down a bit. We are planning a trip the middle of April going up the river from Goose Pond and we hope the weather will be ideal, with little trash in the river to concern us.

Ray
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #28

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
April is a green month on the Tennessee and the Little T, Dog woods and red buds in bloom.
Pura Vida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:09 AM   #29
Guru

Ray

Generally we only do about 50-60 miles/day. This time we are thinking of even less since we are going to spend about 6 months doing it with lots of anchoring out. We are paid up here till April 30th, so we will be ready to go anytime between end of March and first good weather report. Hopefully we will get to meet.

Tony B
Old 02-10-2015, 01:11 AM   #30
Guru

PV

Thanks for the info. Hopefully we will get to meet you once we get up there.

Regards

Tony B
Old 02-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #31
Guru

Slight Change of Plans

Will be leaving Joe Wheeler at end of April instead of end of March.
Too much going on. The Admiral wants to see some relatives, both mine and hers, before we leave. Everyone is scattered between Texas, Missouri, Arkansas and Mississippi. No matter how we look at it, it will take about 3 weeks. Trying to stick to a travel schedule with unknown weather can be a disaster, especially during ice, flood and tornado season.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #32
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Tony I've been hearing about flooding problems on the Ohio from some tow boaters and others. Any problem down your way that might delay your planned departure? I still have no firm plans for this year other than we are thinking of heading south in the fall to the gulf to escape another midwest winter, all thou this year the winter was rather mild.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #33
Guru

The water is back up to the summer level. Lots of trash in the water and some logs are floating around. No real problems that I am aware of.
We will probably be leaving around middle April, Some last minute visiting and car traveling involved.'
last week we were in Little Rock, Ar. This week we are in now in Wylie, Tx (West of Dallas). Probably be back in Joe Wheeler by Tues of next week. After that, we will be making final preparations on the boat and then take off.
I think, or actually I heard but not verified, that the Joe Wheeler Locks will be undergoing major repairs soon and transiting it will be limited.
If you have boat insurance for your hull, you might want to check with your insurance carrier to make sure you will be covered. This whole hurricane zone/area is a PITA as far as insurance is concerned.
Enjoy your trip.
Tony B
Old 03-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Florence
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Prima Seahorse
I think, or actually I heard but not verified, that the Joe Wheeler Locks will be undergoing major repairs soon and transiting it will be limited.

Don't know about Wheeler but Wilson and Pickwick, next 2 locks downstream from Wheeler, are undergoing repairs, with partial, and some full, closures. See my post of last week for schedule. Wilson Lake is pulled down due to rains and to allow annual sea wall/pier repairs for landowners, but no problem.

I located at Florence Harbor on Pickwick Lake. Feel free to PM if can provide any help.
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #35
Guru

I will be heading up-stream this summer and fall. probably come back down here or possibly Pickwick Lake for the winter. I will contact you then.
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #36
Guru

Chattanooga, Tn. Marinas

Getting ready to start this years journey. Our first major stop will be Chattanooga. Tn.
Has anyone here stayed there before and can recommend a marina for about a month's stay?
Old 04-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #37
Guru

We Finally Threw The Ropes

We left Joe Wheeler this past Monday, April 27th.
We spent the night at Ditto landing and Tues. morning we headed out to Alred Marina in Guntersville. We spent most of Tues and all of Wed. there.
Today (Thurs the 30th), we arrived before noon at Goose Pond marina and will spend a month here. We are standing by at Goose Pond so that we can help a friend bring a sailboat up from Mobile to Joe Wheeler. That can happen any day now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4280003.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	39783   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4280009.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	39784   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4280020.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	39785   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4280025.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	39786  
Old 04-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
We left Joe Wheeler this past Monday, April 27th.
We spent the night at Ditto landing and Tues. morning we headed out to Alred Marina in Guntersville. We spent most of Tues and all of Wed. there.
Today (Thurs the 30th), we arrived before noon at Goose Pond marina and will spend a month here. We are standing by at Goose Pond so that we can help a friend bring a sailboat up from Mobile to Joe Wheeler. That can happen any day now.
Such a beautiful area. Goose Pond is supposed to be very nice with Angler beside it. We really look forward to time in that area. Maybe 2016 or 2017.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:24 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Getting ready to start this years journey. Our first major stop will be Chattanooga. Tn.
Has anyone here stayed there before and can recommend a marina for about a month's stay?

Marine Max handles the Ross' Landing Marina. It is down town. Probably would not be good for a month.

Probably Island Cove Marina would be the best best for a long stay. It is up the lake several miles.

I live near the waterfront, so let me know if you will be downtown.

I will be back in town Sunday evening or Monday.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:47 AM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Patterson, LA
Vessel Name: Last Tango
Vessel Model: Ocean 40 + 2 Trawler Yacht
Hey Tony! Eileen and I loved Goose Pond. Stayed there 3 times last year. Good people.

We are in Lake Okeechobee heading west.

Give Helen a hug for us!

Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote