Old 08-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #81
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
NOT bragging rights just a lot of fun, meeting interesting people and visiting great places. Just as we are doing in the RV thing, we ATTEMPT to see and do all that we can as it is likely that we will not get to the same area again. So no bragging just EXPERIENCING all that we can, as always YMMV
If one does not desire to visit every museum, we dont do all but leave few out, then dont. Did a ceildah dance thing last nt. No desire to see another but it was very entertaining and informative. YMMV
Boats look nice here as well.
Amazing how one can get criticized so easily here! Just because we did something does NOT mean all must do it. I present, as many others, what we did and suggest that it worked for us, may not for someone else.
YMMV
CCC
sorry...did not write/infer that YOU were bragging...I said for some/not necessarily you specifically...

Don't worry when I criticize someone on the forum, I specifically point them out...and the I get a PM chastizing me

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #82
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
Ahhh, but you are wrong! .
OK, Twisted, I'll give you the Louisiana part. I have cruised to Lousiana from Orange Beach. Problem was I wanted to stay longer than the time set aside for the cruise. The Chandileurs were other worldly. Probably the strangest place we have cruised.

Now, tell us about the pleasantries of cruising from the intersection of the Ohio River to the Louisiana line.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #83
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Now, tell us about the pleasantries of cruising from the intersection of the Ohio River to the Louisiana line.
Well you've crossed to the Bahamas.....imagine doing nothing but that for a week! But having to stay glued to the helm

Other than Memphis and Chattanooga I can't think of much in the middle of that stretch I'd purposefully want to see no matter which route is taken. But we've always been surprised at the neat places that interest us when going somewhere for the first time. Appalachiacola is a prime example of this.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #84
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
[ QUOTE=rwidman;96432]My wife was wary of taking a month long cruise (from SC to FL). Then her mother passed away. I pointed out to my wife that I was only seven years younger than her mother. She thought about it and agreed to make the cruise. Now she can't wait to go on another. I'm toying with the idea of cruising to the Chesapeake (we're originally from MD) next summer for two or three months.

The other thing we (Americans) have to keep in mind is the direction our country and economy may take after the next election in November. We may see prosperity or we may see fuel costs skyrocket with taxes, restrictions, etc
Quote:
Do it, Ron. That will be a cruise you will never forget. Two months is about right to really get the feel of the Bay. It is truly a special place. The towns are great, but leave plenty of time for anchoring off the rivers and creeks in quiet coves. I can't wait to get back. Hopefully we will make it up there in 2013.
We're in MD now visiting relatives and I picked up one of the Chesapeake cruising guides. My wife is talking about it now to friends so we may actually do it next spring/summer.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #85
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
NOT bragging rights just a lot of fun, meeting interesting people and visiting great places. Just as we are doing in the RV thing, we ATTEMPT to see and do all that we can as it is likely that we will not get to the same area again. So no bragging just EXPERIENCING all that we can, as always YMMV
If one does not desire to visit every museum, we dont do all but leave few out, then dont. Did a ceildah dance thing last nt. No desire to see another but it was very entertaining and informative. YMMV
Boats look nice here as well.
Amazing how one can get criticized so easily here! Just because we did something does NOT mean all must do it. I present, as many others, what we did and suggest that it worked for us, may not for someone else.
YMMV
CCC
Charles you are one of my role models on the forum! I hope one day to follow in your wake, the nine years and all! People comment that I have plenty of time to do it but you never know what the future holds. Meanwhile I spend as much time as I can boating with my wonderful husband. We moved the boat a few months ago to a new area and we are having so much fun exploring! but there are so many other places we want to see by water before we pack it in and get an RV.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #86

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
Ohio river to the Louisiana line and on down. I have done it.
As someone else mentioned I highly reccommend turning out of the Ms at the Old River Structure, lock into the Atchafalay river and meet the ICW at Morgan City, it is even shorter in miles if you are going to New Orleans including the 95 miles fr Morgan City to NO. There is NOTHING on the MS between the Old River Lock and NO.
Much easier thru MC>
More scenic as well.
On our way down the Ms from Cairo we tured west and went to Tulsa, OK yea you can do it, we did, but do not reccommend going all the way stop in Muscoge, OK.
By the way, this is one of our most boring trips. OK THE most boring, broken up only by the happenstance that we assisted in 3 separate boat strandings , getting the people out of danger, two involved my towing them under extreme conditions. Looking back I do not think that I would attempt it again unless loss of lifer or injury could be prevented.

CCC
charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #87
Guru

Yep and you could go back up the Red River if you were just looking to do something less travelled. Alexandria has a city dock just across the levee from OLD downtown. Shreveport could also be a destination if you have a gambling bent. I enjoy river travel more than most though. There are also MANY areas along Louisiana rivers if you like to hunt that are public lands. There are also some hunting clubs if that is more suited. Glasscock Island and BlackHawk are the two that I know of that would be easily accessed by boat.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #88

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
Been there done that.
Went up to Shreveport as well. Not much in way of dockage as in NONE at the time, it may have changed by now.
Jogged right one time and went up to Monroe on the Black as well, so have done the Red and Black and the Atchafalaya.
JUst do them at low water!
In the case of the Black and Red I waited two years to go.
A good river to do is the Alabama up to Montgomery, desolate but pretty and NO docks all anchoring. Have an easily deployed dinghy.
Marina definition is in the eye of the writer!
CCC
CCC

charles is offline   Reply With Quote