Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #41
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
RE: Loopers Chime in.

Tony,

we are planning on taking a sabbatical starting in August through September to see if we have what it takes to live aboard with the two of us and two dogs for two months.* Starting in August we cannot go South since it will be hurricane season, so we plan on going North to the Outer Banks of NC and Chesapeake.

If that trip works out then we will move on the loop, but from our area it must begin around April or May cruising North on the ICW.* The thing about the Loop is that you must begin at a certain time of year depending on your location.* Leave too late and you might get stuck in Lake Michigan in nasty weather, or leave too early and you get to Canada while it is still freezing.

Like you, I think on one hand a larger boat would be nice for the loop since we are living aboard, but on the other hand, a 36 will fit in most marinas where a 46 might be turned away.

Food for thought.

Woody

Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #42
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

I don't think 46' would be turned away very many times at marinas. However , I think your boat is a very good size for the trip. Easier to handle for 2, easier to maintain etc.

Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:45 AM   #43
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Quote:
Sailor of Fortune wrote:*I think your boat is a very good size for the trip. Easier to handle for 2, easier to maintain etc.

********* Ditto.* Sounds like a good plan.

********* JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #44
Jon

City: spragge
Vessel Name: Isle of Skye
Vessel Model: Bruckmann trawler

Woodsong,
In the mid 80's, we pulled the kids,10,8,6, from school and spent 2 1/2 years sailing from Florida to Indonesia. The kids still consider it a great part of their life.
My wife and I finished a Loop last summer, doing about 9000 miles over 2 years.
Contrary to many comments, we found the middle of the USA, fantastic, visiting Nashville, and Knoxville. We liked the TennTom so much, we came back up to Demopolis so we could do it again.
We got as far as Keemah, Tx and found the GCIC section fascinating.
I will agree with Marin....rely on your gut!
I am collecting the bits to start prepping the boat for another trip around this fall, with possible side trips up the Arkansas, and then down to Southern Bahamas.
Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Hi Guys: Well this question might not fit here but here it is anyway,What is the average cost per day doing the loop? Yes I know you can spend any amount but I am thinking of the middle or lower road.Say using a single engine marine trader 40 footer with 2 people aboard.Thanks,Bill
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #46
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Woody- the Monk would be great for just a couple I think. It's when I throw 2 small kids and a dog into the mix that it starts to sound crowded for a longer term situation. We love our Monk though so we'll see. You really can't beat the amount of space in just a 36' footprint and it would be almost impossible to have lower operating costs with the simple single screw, etc. More than likely we will just land on our hybrid plan of traveling aboard here and there as we are able...keep the house, etc. and just squeeze in as many longer trips as we can. It would just be great to get out of Atlanta!!!

Jon- that's awesome that you all sailed to Indonesia. What a wonderful trip for your family. I have talked a lot over the years to families that undertook a journey aboard together, adults of those childhood experiences (i.e. people who's parents took them as kids), and families doing it now. I have yet to hear anyone say they regretted it or that it was a bad decision or something they wish they had not done. Of all the cruising kids we've met, they pretty much have all been more mature, brighter, more inquisitive, and more creative than those sitting in a cinderblock school house. Our kids are highly socialized- sports year round, activities, etc. Putting them in school this past winter, thus far, has really been disappointing. We have already had several instances of them having to "dumb down" their work to make the other kids in class feel better. The kids are having fun there b/c it is easy and like a big play date to them but academically it's not happening so far. Heck- they were teaching my son's second grade class last week how to tell time on a clock- something he's known how to do since he was 3 or 4.

And yes, the gut check overrides everything- I've listened to it in the past and it has never steered me wrong.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #47
Guru

Quote:
blacksheep wrote:

Hi Guys: Well this question might not fit here but here it is anyway,What is the average cost per day doing the loop? Yes I know you can spend any amount but I am thinking of the middle or lower road.Say using a single engine marine trader 40 footer with 2 people aboard.Thanks,Bill
Bill,

I've not done the loop yet but based on all the numbers I've played with, research I've done, loopers I've talked to, etc. the average cost for 12 months seems to be between $30-40k all said and done (dockage, food, fuel, repairs, etc.). *It really depends on what lifestyle you want though- anchoring is free, transient slips are not. *Mac and cheese is cheap, steak every night maybe isn't. *I am sure others will chime in but from all the research I've done that seems to be where the numbers land, mostly around the $40k price point. *I am sure it could be done for less and I am just as sure it could be done for a lot more too.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 AM   #48
Veteran Member

HI Woodsong: Thanks for the information!I guess I will remain at hales Bar in the slip for a while if I ever get that far? Ha I have been working in installing oak parket flooring in the lower section of the old gal and hope to finish today.I will post some photos when I am done with the floor.
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #49
Jon

City: spragge
Vessel Name: Isle of Skye
Vessel Model: Bruckmann trawler

Carl,
I found a 41 ft Dufour Sortilege ketch in Fort Lauderdale. Luckily for me, it had a little osmosis, which gave me the time whilst fixing the blisters, to pull apart every system that I could,learning as I went.
Living on the boat,on the hard,in a Florida summer, meant that everything after that was an improvement.
Reintegrating the kids back into conventional school was a challenge for them, as they were far ahead of their class in most subjects and were used to indepence, and enjoyed the company of mixed ages. However, they all managed.
Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #50
Guru

Tony,

two kids and and a dog is much different than two dogs and no kids!* The Monk will be fantastic for us.** Later if we choose to actually leave the dirt behind then we must have a bigger boat, but for just us for now it is exactly what we need.* And remember, I have two Perkins so it is enough to keep me busy.

Woody
Old 02-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #51
Guru

Woody- I keep forgetting you've got the twin perkins in your Monk. CLEARLY- what you need to do is add on a nice 8' cockpit extension onto the back of your Monk and poof- you instantly will have that bigger boat you've dreamed of while keeping the Monk quality. haha

Seriously- still can't picture adding another engine into my engine room. Do you all have a generator? We've got a (seemingly) massive 8.0 KW northern lights in a sound shield that eats up about as much real estate as the perkins!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

Woody- I keep forgetting you've got the twin perkins in your Monk. CLEARLY- what you need to do is add on a nice 8' cockpit extension onto the back of your Monk and poof- you instantly will have that bigger boat you've dreamed of while keeping the Monk quality. haha

Seriously- still can't picture adding another engine into my engine room. Do you all have a generator? We've got a (seemingly) massive 8.0 KW northern lights in a sound shield that eats up about as much real estate as the perkins!
It is tight!* Our genny is 4.5KW and does the job if you only need AC.* The main problem is servicing the raw water pump on the outboard (port) side.* Must be a contortionist to do it.* But backing into a strange slip is easy.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #53
FF
Guru

We mostly anchor out , but did pay for a couple of nights to the CN lock wall folks and in marinas IF there was a good laundromat near by.

Dirty clothes don't take much room stuffed in a bag , so every 2 weeks is enough marina time..

Figure what ever it would cost for 6000 miles of fuel , oil changes , filters .

And of course the CN's charge for running their locks.

And you have to PAY! to return to the USA for a customs permit.

No repairs is no expense , so go in reasonable condition.

Charts second hand make it WAY! less costly, and are really needed.

WI FI is free , many CN simply leave it on in their cottages , so anchor when you find it.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #54
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Wi fi?

Question for you that have done the loop or cruised in any of the areas that are part of the loop.* How is the Wi Fi access?* Could I stay in touch with "civilization" (i.e., work) out there?
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:20 AM   #55
FF
Guru

As we cruised almost every day , we were able to get free wi fi a few times a day in CN , from cottages that simply left the systems operating.

Some days there was no luck , but at least 4 to 6 days a week we could get signals.

Much more so in the narrow channels than anchored in an isolated cove.

So the trick was to monitor the signals open in the more civilized areas, as we proceded to the days anchorag
Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #56
Per
Guru

Loopers Chime in.

some of the new smartphones such as the Iphone 2.0 has a wifi accesspoint capability, in other words you can access the internet through your pc/mac wireless by connecting it wirelessly to your smartphone, some of them can handle as many as 4 active connections.
with 3/4G the speed is not bad, we sometimes stream netflix movies this way without problems.
if you have unlimited data then it doesnt cost you extra..

-- Edited by Per on Friday 4th of March 2011 01:55:44 PM
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #57

My Wife & I are starting the Great Loop next month(November 2011). We plan to travel from New Orleans to Key West in late November. We have decided to travel 2-3 weeks at a time then return home to "replenish" the fuel fund. (We are both still working.)
We have a friend who took 3 years to complete the loop, and told us of the 2 weeks traveling & 4-8 weeks back home working.
I expect it to cost us about $50K over the next 3 years, a large part of the expense airfare.
We've been planning for two years, and have the boat ready.
See you on the Water.
Bill
Yknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #58
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Loopers Chime in.

-- Edited by Steve on Friday 28th of October 2011 06:58:32 AM
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #59
FF
Guru

"We have decided to travel 2-3 weeks at a time then return home to "replenish" the fuel fund."

You may find in some areas , leaving the boat is $1.00 to $3.00 per foot per day.

OOOCH!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #60
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC

By way of rough planning info: my wife & I took our Californian 34LRC from Baltimore to Marathon & back in 4.5 months January thru mid-May. Even tho' we are both past 65, it was the trip of a lifetime. 3,300 some miles, $13,000 some dollars, including airfares, fuel, food, slips, & repairs. We are contemplating the Loop trip, & currently working to build the fuel kitty, trying to decide how to handle the house issue, old age issues, etc. Some things ya just gotta do!

chc is offline   Reply With Quote