Old 02-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Iselton, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
RE: Loopers Chime in.

Quote:
JohnP wrote:On top of that you are YOUNG.** A year will go by fast but will never return.
You never know what the future holds...* Matt and I came home from*our honeymoon*and were surprised his mom did not pick us up from the airport as arranged.* Turned out the whole family was at the hospital awaiting word on*my SIL*who'd been*hit by a car the night before.* We took her kids in (their dad is out of the picture) for eight months.** Luckily she recovered enough to go back to work and resume caring for her kids, though she is a very changed person.* She was 44 when that happened.*

I say if the opportunity is there, everyone is on board...* Go.**

Easier said than done, I know.**

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #22
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: Adagio
Vessel Model: 32' Island Gypsy
Loopers Chime in.

PG,* Is right it is not about money or the economy it is about people.

Often times during the course of your lifetime the ability to travel or be away depends on others.

If those responsiblities can be managed, the time is right.

PG, Also correct in saying it is not easy telling someone to go. (while sitting smuggly in*my *house*with no intention of selling.)

Talking about houses-- a year away you could actually avoid more downside depreciation.

JohnP

SD - Sorry you feel cheated.* But 1 year cruising around the U.S. with a definate start and finsh is not really the same as 12 years in a foreign Country.

-- Edited by JohnP on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 07:01:01 PM

-- Edited by JohnP on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 07:04:43 PM

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Loopers Chime in.

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

Pretty serious stuff to be pondering.
Advice is worth what you pay for it.* But one thing I have found to be true in my own life and career, as simplistic as it may sound, is that no matter how much I analyze a decision, no matter how many pro-con lists I draw up, no matter how many people I ask for advice, in the end the right thing to do has always been the thing that "my gut" told me was right.

That is not the same thing as intellectually feeling I've made the right decision.* Often the "right" decision seemed far more scary and risky and potentially wrong than the "wrong" decision.**And the*right decision does not have to be between doing A*or doing B.* Sometimes the right decision is*to do nothing.* And that, too, can seem just as scary and risky as doing A or B.

So far, be it making a major location change to making a major purchase to making a major career decision I have found that I always ended up doing what deep down felt right, even if on the surface I could draw up a*long list of why it wasn't.* And so far--- so far--- my "gut" has always steered me correctly.

I have no idea if this is true of everyone.* But I believe that after all the analysis has been done, and all the numbers run, and all the discussions*have been had with spouses, kids, parents, and the dog down the*street, a particular plan of action will emerge that you have a gut feel is the right thing to do.

And it's got to be what you feel, not anyone else.* So what I or anyone else says they would do*under similar circumstances*is irrelevant.

That's my take on your situation anyway.......

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 07:28:11 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Tony, Tony, you've done it again------started a very introspective thought provoking discussion.* To me Marin's advice was the best advice.* However there is a difference between an open ended and time limited journey.* Who knows you could find someplace to settle that you would have never thought of.* It is a tough choice, but remember you don't have to be 65 to do it.* You can do it anytime in between now and then.

Like has been said, at your age most of us didn't have a choice.* At least we didn't know that we had the choice.* I can't say that I would not envy your taking your family on that cruise wherever it is.* Much quality time with the kids is to be cherished.* Having a wife that is enthusiastic about it is a big bonus.
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:46 AM   #25
FF
Guru

"Do you think if you left "Lucy" at Charlavoy and took a break from cruising the remainder of the trip would have been more interesting?"

Not a bit.

Leaving Chi you are in the sewage canal which then becomes a wide cut , totally commercial on both sides.

If coal barges or cement barges are your thing ....

In the Miss. there are almost no docks , marinas , or services.

CARRY FUEL!!

No views as the river sides are built up 30 -70 ft to stop flooding.

We tied to a commercial dock to visit St Louis .

THe rest of the trip is dull, the area "between the lakes" is very pretty , but most of the trip is just empty canal putting , and the Army charts SUCK, they show the channel , but with no depths anywhere.

Anchoring off the waterway is an experiment in running aground.

The Panhandle from Mobile to the jump off for south FL is pretty for a couple of days.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

We'll see what happens. I'm not rushing into anything- it's just something we've contemplated for several years. It would be a trip of a lifetime with the kids and my wife.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #27
Guru

A couple of things to add about the Loop cruise as well as backup what FF has said.* With the destination rich eastern cruising area and the destination sparse western cruising area, it is a no brainer for me to stay in the East.

Cruising the Loop is an interesting process.* You will find that it is far from lonely out there.* There are many boats doing it every year.* You will see AGLCA pennants in many marinas and anchorages as you make the trek.* In fact you will see many of the same boats.* The goup is so large that they have been having an annual gathering at Joe Wheeler State Park, Alabama on the Mighty Tennessee River.* That's in October, I think, before starting the 500 mile trek down the TenTom Waterway down to Mobile and the Gulf.* Not a very pretty cruise.

To save the long trip to the Canadian canal system, I have been toying with the idea of trailering my Blackfin or Boston Whaler up to do that section.* We can sleep on the Blackfin, but it is harder to trailer.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

We'll see what happens. I'm not rushing into anything- it's just something we've contemplated for several years. It would be a trip of a lifetime with the kids and my wife.
********* Tony,* As Don said you have time on your side.
******************** Marins, Suggestions were very logical.
*********************FF. Said half the trip (Stinks).

*********************Might be a better play in your situation to move your boat around to various spots and take a month or so now and than to cruise around new areas.

******************** Do Fla and the Bahamas next Winter

******************** Then pick a homeport in the Chesapeake.

*********************Next time the NY and Canadian canals and lakes.

******************** Charter in the PNW

*********************Spend a Summer in New England (Cape Cod and the Islands)

Keep and grow your business- To pay for all this FUN.

Check out each new area for a potential relocation.

What ever you do with your awesome family will be an adventure of a lifetime.

JohnP

Old 02-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

To save the long trip to the Canadian canal system, I have been toying with the idea of trailering my Blackfin or Boston Whaler up to do that section.* We can sleep on the Blackfin, but it is harder to trailer.
******** Don, The trailering idea is a good one.* Every now and then I look at those little Nimble Nomads on a trailer and think how easy it would be to explore all those far away places.* Be nice to cruise 65mph on the highway and burn 1/2gallon an hour on the water.

JohnP
Old 02-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #30

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako

We are going to start our Loop in May 2012 from Atlantic City NJ. We live near there now but will be moving to FLA this December. Will leave the boat winterized in NJ and come back for it in the Spring of 2012.

We've been planning this trip for years and very much looking forward to it....even if some of it is boring.

The following years we will travel north in the summer, leaving behind the FLA hurricane possibility. We love Maine and will very likely end up there in summer 2013.

But only if the Lord allows it.

R.
ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #31
Guru

Well you guys have got me to thinking that maybe the western portion of the loop is not that great. I cruised for a week on a chartered sailboat on the Chesapeake many years ago and loved it. I've also spent many summers in Arcadia NP in Marine and would love to cruise that as well. From what I've read the Canadian canal system is not to be missed. Would love to cruise Lake Champlain too.

Perhaps keeping the boat for a couple of winters in the Chesapeake and cruising north from there the rest of the year is the answer.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #32

City: LaPaz ,Mexico and the Sea of Cortez
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare

I've been up in the CA Delta for the past 20 years, going all over. It is a great area where you can drop the hook just about anyway and stay for a week or two. Currently still have a houseboat in Discovery Bay and the Vantare in Alameda. The plan is to sell the hoseboat move on the Vantare and move it back and forth between Alameda and the Delta with the seasons. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with on the delta...
Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #33

Loopers Chime in.

We did the loop in 2000, threw in a sidetrip to Maine, which forces one into having to go too fast, if that's possible in a trawler! It was an adventure for us in all areas. The Erie Canal was fun, as we enjoy "small towns" and the people! Most everyone was super friendly, tying up to the "town walls" was enjoyable, as we were "self contained" for power, the city supplied 15-20amp service was appreciated, but not a necessity! While visiting Rome, NY, I was stationed there in the Air Force in the 50's, they(the town) had a concert in the park, where we had "ringside seats", and danced on the bow of our boat to the music. The Canadian canals and locks were all "garden showplaces", as were those on the Erie, where all the lockmasters must compete for the most beautiful lawns and flower beds! The "loop" is best enjoyed if one "takes his time"! North Channel and the Georgian Bay would justify weeks of cruising, instead of hurrying through, as we did. We had read, "it's best to be off Lake Michigan by Sept 1st", so we were hurrying! I think this is probably still a "good rule of thumb", but we were/are not "bold sailors" ! Going through downtown Chicago was another adventure, although the Illinois River does not offer the most beautiful scenery!! Anchorages/marinas are few and far between! Alton Illinois marina is quite modern and nice, with lots to see and do in the neighboring towns and St. Louis! When you get to Kentucky Lake you'll find some of the prettiest water on the loop, in our opinion!
Is the Loop worth it? You bet!!!, in our opinion! We would do it again, and hope to, Lord willing! We did the Caribbean, down to Trinidad, then to Cartagena, Columbia; through the Panama Canal, up the west coast, ultimately to Puget Sound, then on to SE Alaska, 3rd trip! We love it all, although not all was "smooth sailing", just a few "bumps", which one tends to forget it seems, with time! Best to all! "Boatless right now, but hoping to go again!" *Dick & Mary Jo Bradford

-- Edited by LadyMJ on Thursday 24th of February 2011 10:07:24 AM

-- Edited by LadyMJ on Thursday 24th of February 2011 10:08:52 AM
LadyMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
LadyMJ wrote:

We did the loop in 2000, threw in a sidetrip to Maine, which forces one into having to go too fast, if that's possible in a trawler! It was an adventure for us in all areas. The Erie Canal was fun, as we enjoy "small towns" and the people! Most everyone was super friendly, tying up to the "town walls" was enjoyable, as we were "self contained" for power, the city supplied 15-20amp service was appreciated, but not a necessity! While visiting Rome, NY, I was stationed there in the Air Force in the 50's, they(the town) had a concert in the park, where we had "ringside seats", and danced on the bow of our boat to the music. The Canadian canals and locks were all "garden showplaces", as were those on the Erie, where all the lockmasters must compete for the most beautiful lawns and flower beds! The "loop" is best enjoyed if one "takes his time"! North Channel and the Georgian Bay would justify weeks of cruising, instead of hurrying through, as we did. We had read, "it's best to be off Lake Michigan by Sept 1st", so we were hurrying! I think this is probably still a "good rule of thumb", but we were/are not "bold sailors" ! Going through downtown Chicago was another adventure, although the Illinois River does not offer the most beautiful scenery!! Anchorages/marinas are few and far between! Alton Illinois marina is quite modern and nice, with lots to see and do in the neighboring towns and St. Louis! When you get to Kentucky Lake you'll find some of the prettiest water on the loop, in our opinion!
Is the Loop worth it? You bet!!!, in our opinion! We would do it again, and hope to, Lord willing! We did the Caribbean, down to Trinidad, then to Cartagena, Columbia; through the Panama Canal, up the west coast, ultimately to Puget Sound, then on to SE Alaska, 3rd trip! We love it all, although not all was "smooth sailing", just a few "bumps", which one tends to forget it seems, with time! Best to all! "Boatless right now, but hoping to go again!" *Dick & Mary Jo Bradford

-- Edited by LadyMJ on Thursday 24th of February 2011 10:07:24 AM

-- Edited by LadyMJ on Thursday 24th of February 2011 10:08:52 AM
Dick, thanks for your words about our beautiful Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers.* There are many very pretty sections up stream of the Ten/Tom.* It is about 250 miles from the Ten/Tom upstream to Chattanooga.* It is a great stop.* I live one block from the downtown waterfront.* Anyone coming this way let me know.

Your idea of leaving the boat on the Chesapeake for a jumping off place to Maine is something that I have thought about recently.* Since Maine has a 28 day limit before coming after you for taxes, I put that thought aside.* We will go again by car.* An entire summer on the boat in Maine would be great.* However, we*decided to leave the Chesapeake in the fall in favor of the Bahamas.* Maybe the Exumas this time.* There are few bad choices on the East coast.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #35

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse

We did part of the Great Loop (the section from N.Y. city north on the Hudson River and through the canal system to Lake Ontario). *It was a wonderful trip that we will hopefully do again soon in the reverse, heading down to the Chesapeake.... We also enjoyed cruising the East coast of Maine and south along the Atlantic to Long Island Sound. * I would really love to spend time in the Pacific North West coast some day too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	more post launch 2009 015.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	5038   Click image for larger version

Name:	launch week 2009 046.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	5039  
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #36

City: Louisville
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler

These folks are doing the Loop while homeschooling their 3 children.

http://parrentfive.blogspot.com/

It's pretty interesting, they are having a ball.

David
David O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #37
Guru

I am also planning a 2012 Loop trip. Will probably store the boat north someplace and finish in 2013. Was going to do part this summer but decided to work another year. Not only for the money but because I am not pshycologically ready.
Also need the summer to do the final prep on the boat.
We have been through part of it already...the Rochester to Mystic trip when we bought this boat, an Erie canal trip, a Champlain canal trip and several Chesapeake Bay trips, all from Mystic.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

David, I've been following the Parrent's blog for a bit and have emailed some with them. Definitely looks like they are having a blast. There are a few other traveling families we've met and talked with as well- all say it is the best thing they've done for their families.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
charles wrote:

We did the GREAT CIRCLE CRUISE IN FIVE YEARS.

Marin thinks that we "should get a life" as I recall.

I don't remember saying that but maybe I did.* But I can't imagine faulting you for doing what you really wanted to do.* If I did I was wrong

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #40
Per
Guru

i had a chance to look at some of the responses and can somewhat put myself in your situation as I have children close to age of yours.

It sounds like you are looking for a major life change, tired of Atlanta, loving the free spirit lifestyle etc.
Those may not be the same reasons for wanting to go on a year or two of cruising.

Here are some "saner options"
Rent out your home in Atlanta for the summer and make a trip down the ICW to see how it feels to be onboard a boat for so long.

or just rent a house in your favorite place in the gulf or Florida while you might as well just rent out your place, furnished possible (and since money is not a concern).

I also want to mention that SD does have a point, your kids are 7 and 8, they now have friends and are building a social network which is important for them. possible they are doing sports/boyscouts/dancing/music etc etc which are all important for their overall upbringing (and happiness).

You are also young, when your kids are early 20's there are still plenty "young years" for you to do the loop...

just my 2 cents.

Per is offline   Reply With Quote