Looking for input/advice on Erie and Champlain Canals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moby Nick

Vessel Name
Du NORD
Vessel Make
Albin-25
We've been planning an Erie Canal cruise ever since converting from sail to an Albin-25 two years ago. One idea is to launch at Burlington, VT and do the Champlain Canal south to Troy, NY, then west for several days along the Erie Canal. At some point having a ramp wife's cousins in Burlington would come down and pick me up so I could retrieve our truck and trailer.

These are the folks who took us out on the Oslo Fiord in their 23' Diesel Motor Cruiser and awakened the idea of switching from sailboats. We think a day outing on L Champlain would be a highlight. The pic is their boat in Drobak, Norway, powered by a 25hp Yanmar.

We are aware of a couple of museums, one at the north end of the Champlain Canal, and another at the east end of the Erie.

A friend is considering renting a Narrow Boat and doing the Erie Canal west of Macedon, NY. He's been advised that the western end of the Erie is more scenic. We've cruised in company on the Chesapeake and part of the Trent Severn.

2014 looks like the time to finally do it.

Attachments

• oyvind pic 3.jpg
    oyvind pic 3.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 142
We are at the western end of the Erie Canal on the Niagara River. We have done the entire system twice over plus some. One thing to be aware of is that sections of the canal are frequently closed, sometimes for weeks at a time due to high water. You need to be fairly flexible with your travel plans. Out of all the months, July would be the best for minimal closures. We love the Erie, and actually ran a small marina on the western end for 4 years. Good luck with your plans, let me know if you need any specific information.

We rented a canal boat two years ago at Macedon, and loved it! 3 night, 4 days I think. Only down side is not going so far away that you can't get back to the rental base. Locking through was a non event after the first time. Be sure to have gloves. Loved the free dockage in Lyons, Palmyra, and Newark. People very friendly, towns a short walk away. We plan on going back this summer on our Gulfstar, then head North on the Oswego, cross Lake Ontario, and up the Rideau canal to meet family at Ottawa. Planning the trip now is helping with the sub-zero temps today.

We have done the Erie and Champlain twice, both are somewhat similar in operation, would recommend stopping earlier and going into the towns, we met some great people, interesting history, certainly a walk back in time.

Back
Top Bottom