Old 02-03-2018, 06:41 PM   #21

City: New Baltimore, NY
Vessel Name: General's Quarters
Vessel Model: 2005 Mainship 430 Aft Cabin Trawler
Back again,

Looks like the conversation moved toward black water discharge lines. I think we beat that dead horse enough - and thank you all for sharing your experiences, web links and research. This will no doubt come in handy.

We live in Albany, and today my better half and I drove to Whitehall and then to Port Henry to check out the situation from land.

Turning to bridge heights ... My Garmin BlueChart (no longer available) lists the RR bridge C-5 at 15'.

The official Nycanals web site lists RR bridge C-5 at 21': Bridge Heights - New York State Canals

I'm interested to know if others had any difficulty in asking the bridge tender to lower the pool allowing you to make it through or what the actual height is.

We have a Mainship 2005, 430 Aft Cabin trawler. When we lower the mast and take down the Bimini, we're really close to the 15' clearance.

Does anyone have any experience with this? or with this same boat on the Champlain Canal?

Thanks for all of the discussion,

Jim

jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #22
Guru

City: New England to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Turning to bridge heights ... My Garmin BlueChart (no longer available) lists the RR bridge C-5 at 15'.

The official Nycanals web site lists RR bridge C-5 at 21': Bridge Heights - New York State Canals

We found that the bridges were 17 feet. What you might be looking at is the height at low steel. There is 2-4 feet more at center channel. By the way Garmin Blue chart can still be used. The charts will not be updated but all the content is still there and is updated regularly as it always was.

tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:45 AM   #23

City: New Rochelle, NY
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
You will have know problem getting through. We are at 17’ and never had a problem.

Have fun.
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #24

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
C-5 will not be a problem, it is the lowest on the Champlain Canal, but we easily passed under it at 17 ft. air draft. The low bridges are on the Western Erie and some of the sections of the Finger Lakes where you might see 15'-6".

We did the "Triangle Loop" - up to Oswega, Thousand Islands to Sorel, down the Richelieu to the Chambly and into Champlain. Wonderful trip! If you don't have enough time to do the Downeast Loop (a trip of a lifetime!) it provides a great overview of parts of the Downeast, although the Downeast Loop should be on every cruiser's bucket list! Spectacular!!
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #25
Guru

City: Trenton
I remember there was one lock on the Champlain Canal that we were concerned about. It had a bridge or walkway right across the middle of it. It turns out to be a non-issue because it's only a problem to traverse when the lock is full. If the height is a problem for you just move under the obstruction when the lock is empty. Then you get another 10-12 foot of clearance.

alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote