High Water - Upper Mississippi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Lights II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
Well I finally gave up and went home because I have to use a boat to get to my boat. Plus there has been a lot of debris coming down and the rain continues in the Midwest and upper plaines. If the river actually starts to drop as forecasted I'll head back in a few days. So far the gauge projections have not been much but fiction, it'll show a crest coming then a steady decline the reality has been a crest and then a higher crest. It did drop this about 4" a couple of days ago and then went back up 2' overnight. Hope everyone else is burning a lot more fuel than I have.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

If this keeps up much longer can I assume the Loopers are in for a stressful run South this September.
Or does the system drain that quickly?

The run south for the loopers or snowbirds will depend a lot on the flow on the Illinois, Missouri and Ohio rivers. It can drop quick if it's a area flooding situation, but I know the Missouri and the Illinois are in flood stage in some areas and the rain continues over very large areas. I'am starting to wonder how this compares to the 1993 flood, it went into major flooding in July or August. It's been raining today along the river in Iowa, Missouri and Illinois, we had more storms in Kansas today they missed us but it all ends up in the Mississippi River. I haven't had my boat out in a month because of the debris, if it stops raining for a couple of days the debris will clear up pretty quick. There are a lot of flood control dams on the Missouri River drainage system that are holding water back that still has to be released at some point so that'll keep the flow up on it after the rain quits.

Last edited:
The Ohio has been up for about two weeks now. Storms and rain are forecast for this week. This feels like the river and weather we get in May.

Conall

What is disappointing this spring had a really great start. The temps were pleasant and the wind always seemed to blow helping when temps did get into the mid 80s, the rain wasn't heavy until about a month ago. When the rain started it got into a cycle of a heavy downpour every day usually in the afternoon or overnight and covering a very large area. The corp tries to keep the Louisiana gauge at 11.8' to 12' we are 10.5' over that. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435585634.640683.jpg

This is from the RiverBill's webpage and shows how wide spread the flooding is in the area.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435594199.446312.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom